Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

birdiechild

taz-female or male?

hi,
    i just got my tiel, Tazz, a few days ago. Tazz talks a lot and on the ride hime, he wouldn't be quiet! I know that little thing that the bar extends half way up or if it extends up the whole wing. But, since I cannot touch him and have to leave him alone, i cannot tell. Also, during the day he likes to squeak and squawk and I don't want to take a DNA test, beacuse at this time I don't wanna scare him too much. Is there any other behavioral traits besides males being more vocal that could help me? If you think you know the sex of my bird, then please post, or if you need further information, please post. Oh if anyone has ever had a DNA test on their bird, please post saying what the procedure was and if it is painful or not.Thanks!

Thanks

Re: taz-female or male?

If your bird hasn't had its first molt yet, there is no way to visually sex it.
    As babies, both sexes look alike.

What mutation is your cockatiel?

Edit: Behavior isn't a very accurate sexing technique.
    I have a known female and a known male.
    The female is loud, outgoing, whistles, mimics, displays, and dances like a male.
    The male is quiet, subdued, shy, and doesn't display much. He can whistle and mimic, but only does so when he thinks nobody's watching him.

Both have always been like this, and yes I'm sure the loud one is female(she laid an egg) and the quiet one is male(he's a normal cockatiel with a bright yellow head).

birdiechild

my tazz is a normal grey! Thought I would prefer other mutations, my parents had to pay for vet care and the cage and food and $110 was enough for A BIRD ALREADY!!!!HEHE but I do have two jobs, which I am able to afford toys and food, my parents pay for most of the vet care!

Thanks

If you have a normal grey, you'll be able to tell the sex for sure after the first molt.

If you have a boy, he'll get a bright yellow head and bright orange/red cheekpatches.

If you have a girl, she'll keep the coloring she has now. Dull yellow/grey head, dull orange cheekpatches.

Tezzyfox

I also read that female birds will tend to be bigger than males, and when pearching they have a broader stance.

Now, I would not use these simple factors to prove your Tazz is a male or female. It's just something to keep in mind and, perhaps, do more research on. :>

Good luck!

Thanks

Overweight birds also have a wider stance.