Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Roudybush Premium bird food?

beltram

Roudybush Premium bird food?

Hi,
    recently i went to a Pet expo and was hopeing to find someting new for Birdi to eat. Lots of people on this forum have said that pellets are better than seed for 'teils, however living in Australia, all the brands that have been mentioned are not avaible here! (Believe me i have scowered all my local pet stores!)
    Now, while i was at this expo i saw a stand with
    Roudybush premium brid food.
    I had a good look and the guy ws selling pellets (amoung other types of brid food)
    What does everyone think of that type of food? Is it a good brand? It seems to contain lots of mineral and vitamins, so is that a good thing?
    Birdi seems to really enjoy munching on it!
    Thanx in advance!
    --Beltram

Thanks

Re: Roudybush Premium bird food?

It has ethoxyquin in it. I don't feed any of my pets anything with that chemical, it's been deemed too dangerous for human use, yet it's "safe" for pet foods? I don't beleive it.

I don't trust that chemical no matter how the companies that use it try to gloss it over and try to convince consumers that it's safe.

budgies-n-tiels.com/ethox.html

beltram

Oh man I just cant seem to win!
    You say pellets then the ones i get arent right!!!!

Seems that she will just have to enjoy a dite of seeds and fresh vegies!
    thanx for you help!
    --bel

Thanks

It's really up to you if you want to use Roudybush, a lot of people like it.

I just have a problem with ethoxyquin in pet foods...some people swear it's not dangerous, but I personally don't believe it.

PearlerSu

While I share the thoughts on ethoxyquin, it's hard to find ANY commercial foods without in Australia. And when you do find it, next time you go back to the shop they no longer carry it. Your best bet is to check around with the vets & zoos in your area. I know that a good many of the zoos feed Zupreme. You can also order food online from companies that ship overseas.

The vet we use with all of our pets is also used by the nearby zoo and he put me in contact with someone from the zoo who will order extra and I just pay them for it.

Take advantage of the fact that you live in the birds native land. A short walk around your home or a bushy area you will find the majority of what is in the commericial food, minus all of the dyes, salt, sugars and other chemicals.

PearlerSu

I thought I would mention just incase someone mistook what I said about taking advantage of nature.

These seeds and such are NOT to be used as a sole diet. They are to be used in the same manner as fresh fruits and veggies are to provide a variety of fresh foods, instead of relying too much upon the commercial chemically processed foods.

It's the wee hours of the morning here and I'm brain dead. One of my female cockatoos became egg bound on Thursday of last week and had to go to the vet. Earlier in the day she started showing signs of trying to lay again, so here I sit watching closely through sleepy eyes, trying to use the internet to stay awake.

beltram

thanx for your Pearls of wisdom!
    I do try and find he lots of seeds but with working and all i dont have the time to stop and get her stuff like i probly should!
    She seems ok so far on the pellets and Ill keep a good eye on her!
    She gets a good dite ( i think so) So she should be mostly ok.
    But i will try and take advantage of my vets and use them to get bird food!!
    Your Lucky Pearl, you live close to a zoo, my closest one is about 2 hours away (and thats just getting there!)
    I just had a stoke of brillance maybe one of the wildlife reserves around here have an idea where to get some pellets!!

BTW how is your cockatoo? I hope she is feeling better!
    Thanx
    --bel

zhizhi9

Roudybush is a very good brand. I'm not on either extremes of the ethoxyquin debate, but after doing quite a lof of research, Roudybush seems to be the preferred brand of a lot of breeders and well experienced bird owners. My vet was all for it ( and no, he does not sell it). However, you can also try Harrison's pellets which are the most highly recommended. You can perhaps order it through their website, but i gotta warn you, they are pricy!
    I'm usually found in another bird forum, and there is always good competition between which the owners prefer most, roudybush or harrison's.
    Hope that helps.

beltram

The Roudybush was expensive (compared to seed)
    So, Zhizhi, do you know of any where in Australia that i can get Harrisons?
    I have a bit of an aversion to ordering food products over the net, its a freshness issue!
    And if its not avaible in australia, then there is most likely a reason (we have crazy and strict customs laws!)
    Thanx
    --bel

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

yeah, here too (New Zealand) infact i think we're worse than aussie! lol. all i've found so far is kaytee, and they run bird mills, so i'm not keen on them. so it's still seed and vegies for my Angel!

FD