Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

dekolover

Parents plucking babies

Hi I'm a 1st timer here. The mother is plucking the feathers from the head ,neck and chest area of her 3 little babies. they are weeks . She doesn't pluck any of the big feathers just the small ones .Does any one know why she is doing this . And is 5 weeks old enough for me to put the babies in another cage and can they eat on their own. They are still being feed by their parents . Help please!!!

Thanks

Re: Parents plucking babies

If the parents are stil feeding them, they are not ready to eat on their own... Get some baby bird food formula and get somebody (an avian vet or a breeder) to show you how to handfeed your babies, because they need to be separated from the parents... If it's just the mother that's pulling the feathers, can you separate the mother, let the father feed the babies and you can supplement with handfeeding?

Thanks

...and as an aside, do not ever breed this hen again.

She is not suitable breeding stock; this behavior is an undesirable trait, and is frequently passed on to offspring.
    These babies need to be sold with a "PET ONLY/NO BREEDING" contract, as they are also not suitable breeding stock.

They are fine for pets, and your hen is fine for a pet, but NOT as breeding stock.

dekolover

Necroangel i got your reply you told me not to breed her again but she already has 3 more eggs , and i can't take her away from her companion what i'm i to do. do you think she'll get over it may be she's young . She doesn't try to pluck her companion please help . Is it hard hand feeding and how many tims a day do i have to feed 5 week old babies . one of them is eating a bit on his own . I was told that they can be taken out at six weeks that they should eat on their own is this true

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

boil the eggs she's sitting on now, let them cool, and put them back with her to sit on. they won't hatch. don't breed her, every time she lays eggs in the future; boil them to stop the hatching.
    you need someone to show you how to handfeed. it's not really hard as such, but there are many things that can easily go wrong! if the forumla is the wrong temp or if they breath it in or something, they'll likely die. you need someone who has handfed birds before to guide you and check on them.
    don't force them to wean! if you just remove them and hope they'll feed, they'll likely die! . some wean fine and early, some take a bit longer...

FD

Thanks

FD beat me to it.
    Boil her eggs, cool them, and give them back for her to sit on.
    This ensures they will never hatch.
    This needs to be done with every single egg she lays from now on if you don't want to separate her from the male.

If you dont' want to handfeed you MUST remove the hen (and her eggs) from the cage, and see if the father will continue to feed the chicks.
    Sometimes he will, sometimes he won't.
    If he doesn't, you need to find an avian vet immediately to show you how to properly handfeed these chicks, or they will starve to death.

dekolover

dezzy how often do 5 week old babies need to eat.

dekolover

necroangel i pulled the babies out they seem to be eating a little on thier own they eat millet and a little bit of seeds . how much do they need to eat to be ok . And i put them in the cage with the parents and they feed them a little to .I put them to sleep in a seperate cage is this ok that they sleep all nite and eat what little they eat on their own . thanks alot you've been sooooo much help

Thanks

at five weeks old the babies should be nearly weaned - they are even trying to eat on their own. So I guess two handfeeding sessions a day - morning and night, and you can change that to just one at night in a couple of weeks if all goes well.

dekolover

dezzy thanks for your help just one more ? they seem to be eating alot on their own they eat alot of spray millet and a little bit of seeds plus i put them in the cage with the parents in the morning and at nite and they feed them a little bit than i take them out . do you think thats good enough or should i still learn how to hand feed them .

Thanks

Hm all that I can suggest is start weighing them every day to make sure they are gaining weight, or at least not losing any, and if they are not gaining at all or losing weight, they'll need to be handfed. Also, since they are now learning to eat the seed, it's a good time to start them on veggies/greens/fruit

dekolover

dezzy what type of green and veggie do you suggest? again thanks for all your help . oh for the past 45min i have been watching them eat seeds and sprayed millet they are really starting to get the hang of this. god bless thank you for all your help can i bother you if i have any ?'s in the future .

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Almost anything!
    broccoli, apple, corn, carrots, peas, cauliflower, romaine lettuce, cabbage, etc, etc

Now is the very best time to get htem eating veggies, when they are young and trying to eat anything!

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Poisonous:
    Avacado
    Alcohol
    Onion
    Caffine
    Chocolate

Bad for Them:
    anything high in preservatives
    white rice
    sunflower seeds (in large amounts, once and awhile are fine as treats)
    most nuts (in large amounts, once and awhile are fine as treats)
    sugary foods (not natural sugar (fruits)- added sugar, such as in some of the so called treats at the pet store used to 'glue' the seeds together).
    Honey

You CAN feed the spicy peppers as well (banana, jaloponoes, etc)!

dekolover

thanks feather jinxer necroangel and dezzy you guys are the best my babies will appreciate all the help