Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: sick bird

onawa2000

sick bird

Hi, I'm new to this board but, we have kept several cockatiels for 5 years now. We have a sick bird and don't know why he is sick or exactly what to do. Our 4 yr old male tiel is vomiting or regurgitating. He eats alot and then vomits. Then he is hungry again and eats more, then vomits again. He has been doing this over and over for maybe 2 days. We have been giving him a few drops of Pepto Bismal twice a day but it doesnt seem to help. Other than his vomiting, he seems normal. What could be wrong? We have no avian vet close by otherwise I would take him to a vet. Anyone have idea on what to do? Thank You.

Thanks

Re: sick bird

Stop giving him pepto bismol for starters.

Second, don't use the tired excuse of "the vet is too far away". He needs to see a vet.
    Regurgitating that often is not normal.

There is no excuse, none at all, for not taking him to a vet, so please do so.

Thanks

Re: sick bird

Necroangel is right, there is absolutely no escuses not to take a sick bird to the vet... if it was a child you'd probably already be at the ER by now...

The pepto bismol isn't a good idea, birds and humains do NOT have the same digestive system so it's probably more harmful than anything else...

Good luck with your little birdy! Keep us posted !

~ Taffy and her spoiled little Baby

Nuts about tiels

Hear This!!!

Well I have a question I live in a small town where the Vets here only take care of dogs and cats. Plus the nearest Avian vet is like a 8 hour drive away. You don't realize how far that is. Plus my bird needs its wings clipped and I can't do it. I spent the whole day calling places and theres no place except for this place 8 hours away. Do you actually think I'm going to drive that far?

No thanks I have a job and responsibilites I can't just take 2-3 days off for that. I agree with them for saying that its too far away. Its not an excuse.... its what it is. It seems that when people ask for help with their birds you are always giving them a hard time. First of all it's not your bird. second of all you compare a bird to a human being BIG DIFFERENCE!! Don't get me wrong I love birds But you people take it way too far.

This is a message board where people come for help, I wounder if its because each time you dont know the answer you have to put them down.

Your way too hard on people sometimes.

"You don't know other people's lives untill you lived in their shoes"

Also for the people that own the board want to ban me from the board because I state my opinion, go right ahead!!!

Nuts about tiels
    A.K.A Trisia Wafer

P.S I feel sorry for all the other people that don't have a Avian Vet near where they live. Because if they don't their considerd no good bird owners.

Thanks

Re: Hear This!!!

You won't be banned from here for stating your opinions, that would be ridiculous, and I'm sorry if you think we are too hard on people. However you might want to be a little more respectful of other's opinions because lack of respect for other users might and probably will get you banned.

Yes I compare birds to human being, they have needs and by taking them with you, in your home you HAVE to offer them a good life. When you get any animal you are TOTALLY responsible for their well being just as you would be if it was a child. It is my opinion, you do not have to agree with it yet you have to respect it. Not everyone can think like you and not everyone can think like me, that is something that I know and I really don't think I ever was offensive in anyway.

I don't think I've ever given a hard time to anyone here and I'm sorry If I did, yet no one I' ve ever given advice ever complained, if what I say doesn't seem good to them they just don't follow it. I'm not a professionnal I just say what I think is right according to what I've learned myself. But one thing I know for sure is that a sick bird DESERVES to see a vet period.

I don't think I'm putting anyone down by telling them that their birds need prfessionnal help and no I don't have all the answers or else I would have to be an avian vet would I, so yes my best bet is to suggest to people to go to someone who can help.

I don't think anyone here, including myself, have ever said that if someone doesn't have an avian vet nearby they are not good birds owners. Then again I don't think anyone far away or not from an avian vet should just ignore that their bird is in pain because it's just a bird, THAT is offensive and disrespectful to ANY bird owner.

I am really sorry that you have that opinion, but you have to respect mine and the one of all the other members of that board. If people are unhappy with some advice or post they can ignore them, no one here has an obligation to read all post you know. If some people feel that they are put down or given a hard time they can let us know themselves and we will see that the problem is fixed.

~ Taffy and her spoiled little Baby

**Edited

onawa2000

I am the owner of the sick tiel. After calling several vets, I did find one an hour away that did see birds. I then loaded my 6 month old baby (human) into a piece of junk car (with no airconditioning) on a 90* day and took Tweety to the vet.
    After $60.00 and two shots, and a very cranky infant later Tweety is still sick!!! Are you happy?

Nuts about tiels

I don't even know what to reply because I'm so fustrated with this so called message board. I came hear three months ago and I thought it was great then I started reading all your opinions which yes you have a right to express your feelings but gawd I really see how it works. You guys have your little gang of friends and when people aren't up to your standards you give them a hard time.You say that everyone can express their opinions and as soon as someone expresses something you don't agree with, you threaten to ban them. You see onawa2000 went to the vet, and the bird is still sick!!! What's your so called opinion now.........

ah ah ah ah... unbelievable.......

Nuts about tiels

Your friendly admin! Tailfeather Community Administrator Dan's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Our opinion is still that whenever a bird is sick, it needs to be taken to an avian vet as soon as possible. Like necroangel said in another thread, every minute literally counts. The attitude of not taking your pets to a vet is a bad one, which endangers the lives of all your pet. Not only is it mean, it's cruel and inhumane.

Nuts about tiels

Yes and like I said we all have our own opinions and thats YOUR opinion not MINE. Pointing out that I never said I wouldn't bring my bird to a vet buts there's limits.

Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

The point here is that there isn't. If my bird was sick and I had to take it to a vet, I would travel for hours if I had to - I would do anything for my bird to be healthy and safe.

Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Thread closed.