Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: @#%$ Aviaries

PearlerSu

@#%$ Aviaries

This is most likely a stupid question, but it's been bugging me for quite awhile now, so I thought I would get some different opinions on it.
    We have had birds for over 25 years ranging from finches to cockatoos. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many babies I have handled over the years. We now have only Cockatiels and Cockatoos. Last summer our youngest finally moved out of the house. With her gone, we decided to do some remodeling to our house.
    We built a huge deck onto the back of our home. The more I sit out there looking at the wild lorikeets, (We live in Queensland, Australia) I started feeling guilty about our birds inside the house in cages. We triple fly-wired over all of the open areas, divided it into seperate sections to accomodate the birds more comfortably, sealed the outside access up with the only entry being from inside the house and turned the birds loose. They absolutely loved it out there.
    This summer some old friends came over for a barbie and one of them another bird fanatic like myself insisted that we put up glass around the open areas instead of the fly-wire. Claiming that the birds would like that more and would be much safer. They have a gazebo style aviary that has glass covering the open areas. While looking online I found several styles that have glass in them as well for both indoors and outdoors.
    All of this really got me to thinking. When birds are living indoors and are free to roam around the house, you should always keep curtains pulled to prevent them from flying into the glass.
    When my birds were in cages as soon as I would walk into the room several of them would lunge from their perch to the side of the cage, begging to get out to play.
    Now if the birds were surrounded by glass and the same thing occured the bird would:
    A: Have nothing to hold onto and slide/fall who knows how far
    B: If it's room size, the bird could crash into the glass same as with a window.
    While the inside fly-wire is a one-way, wider guage made from heavy plastic (same type as many of the toys) that allows the bird to climb up and cling to it, with a double micro fly-wire to the outside preventing insects from coming through it. If the bird was to fly into this, it wouldn't be anywhere near the blow that glass would be, it's not even anywhere near as hard as the metal cage bars.
    The birds have been in this for over a year now and we haven't had any problems with them at all.
    Personally, I think the way we did it is safer for the birds, yet the friend still says glass is the only way to go.
    Thoughts and opinions please.

Thanks

Re: @#%$ Aviaries

Well first I have to say that the job you've done sounds really impressive.. you must have two really happy birdies!!! (Baby is now trying to do the same thing, except we are in Canada... not the same temperature )

I'm not an expert on aviaries but I would be surprised if glass would be safer than fly-wire... In my opinion what you did is perfect the way it is!!!!

*** Taffy & Baby ***

PearlerSu

Thanks. My husband has been in the security door and window business for 30 years now. He covered the open areas the same as he would with a door or window, minus the aluminum grilles of course.

I just can't see how glass could be safer. I looked at the smaller inside glass aviaries and even with all of the perches and so on for them to sit and climb on, I have this huge fear of one making a mad bolt into the glass. Come on, they can hit the sides of the metal cages pretty hard at times, at least with it there are spaces between the bars.

If a bird can sustain fatal injuries from flying a short distance into a window, I don't want to even imagine what could happen to them if they were to fly from one side of a glass enclosure to the other.

Thanks

Yep, I totally agree with you... I can't imagine what could be the reason for glass to be safer... it sounds weird to me!

*** Taffy & Baby ***

djwolfpup8

I think Glass is a horrible Idea, Birds could Definately injure themselves bad in there! I think you did a great job by the sound of things! Wouldn't glass get hotter? At least with the wire, air can get in and out... I could be wrong, but I think it would get really hot. Do you have anything in the area where your birds can get for them? Like bird baths, toys, and other cool stuff? Just wondering. ~DJ~

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

i was just thinking that too. If it was all glass, you'd need major ventilation, it'd be a glasshouse, and we all know how hot a glasshouse gets on a hot day!!!! I think you have absolutly no need to worry. as long as they have shelter from wind/drafts, it'd be fine! glass would cause problems, like all the ones already mentioned! i've heard of many a bird killed by flyinging into a window and breaking their necks, when ever i see an aviary, the birds climb all over the wire, loving it, not possible with glass! toos and tiels are climbers, they'd like wire better i reckon! glass has only the one advantage, that they can see "out" without wires in the way. Now, i'm wondering, how much do the birds really care about that!!!!!!!!!!!? lol. really, i think it's fine, the birds are happy, they CAN see out, waht does it matter if it's vaugly restricted!? fresh air is better for them than a nice view i think!
    ok, i think you get the point! we all think you have the perfect idea, stick to it!!!!!!

FD

ERII

In a lot of English cities where there are tall glass buildings, birds were constantly flying into the glass and getting injured or killed

The solution to this was to stick pictures on the glass so that the birds knew the glass was there. This has been 99.9% successful .

I don't think that glass, in your case would make any difference to your birds. As already mentioned, the heat for one thing could become unbearable. I don't keep birds, but I personally would much prefer to feel the air on my skin in a safe, shaded garden, than roast in a glass house.

Your friendly admin! Tailfeather Community Administrator Dan's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Thanks!