Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My 4 week old babies, are they normal?

ceawitch

My 4 week old babies, are they normal?

Hi! I have 2 cockatiel babies, both were 4 weeks this week. They have feathered out nicely, except for the top of their heads! They are totally bald, but do have a small crest. The dad is normal gray, mom is pied. Is this normal? Thanks!

*Poetry Comes From The Soul* Maturing... Budgieobsession's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: My 4 week old babies, are they normal?

i think so i heard that the head takes a while to grow in but check but im not sure

Thanks

there are some really good pictures of baby tiels of different ages in the image gallery, you can have a look and compare them to your babies
    (just go to the top of this page and click 'gallery', and then 'cockatiels')

Also, keep an eye on the parents, as they may be plucking the little ones

ceawitch

Yike! I'm afraid maybe the parents may be doing it! They are in the nestbox, but I take them out a few times a day to try and socialize them. The parents really seem to take great care of them, and they are wellfed. If the parents are doing it, what can I do? Will the heads feather out once they are out of the box? I looked at the pictures, and there is a difference. My babies are totally bald on the head, but fully feathered every where else! They do a short crest, but doesn't look like the babies in the pics. I'm so concerned!

Thanks

If it's the parents doing it (if you are sure it's the parents doing it), you will need to separate the parents and handfeed the babies... If you havn't done any handfeeding and don't know how, get an avian vet or a good breeder to show you how
    Also try and see - it may just be one of the parents doing it, then you can leave the other one with the babies to feed them (you'll still need to supplement with some handfeeding).
    If it is the parents plucking the babies, you should not breed this couple again, as aggression towards chicks can pass on to the babies...
    The feathers should grow in fine later on..

If it's not the parents, you might have to talk to an avian vet about your babies... I mean, it could be a disease, or a genetic deffect, or they might just grow the feathers on their head slower than the rest of their body

ceawitch

Hi! Thanks for your reply. Both babies came out of the box today! Now I can watch closely to see what may be happening. I seriously doubt any plucking is done aggressively, as both parents are very good with each other. Perhaps going too heavy with preening the little ones? One baby is actually sitting on a perch already! If I see any bad behaviour on the parents part I will certainly remove them.

Remove Ads