Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Bleeding

Hattie

Re bleeding

O.k. I took her to take a bath and it after it looked like it started bleeding again. I'm hysterical. I put corn starch on it, I put some on my finger then some on her wing and she usually runs away from my hand. But I think she knew I was trying to help her. Can anyone please tell me whats going on? i'm pretty sure it's a blood feather, but what do I do with it?
    Hattie

Name
    Jake
    Thanks

Re: Re bleeding

If possible, make an apointment at an avian vet. Here's a link to someone else who had a bleeding budgie
    pub98.ezboard.com/fthecockatielstopsmessageboardfrm37.showMessage?to picID=195.topic
    I don't know what kind of info there is on it, (didn't have time to read it over) but there is some great experts on TailFeather. Keep us updated

Hattie

RE:

O.k. I think it stopped. I think it just looked like more since she's yellow. I'll keep checking it though. I'm pretty sure it's a blood feather, and she looked like she was trying to pull it out (or else she was preening) but what could this mean? I checked and there are no avian vets around here I looked on that search and according to that there are only 4 in the state and they all live four hours away.
    Hattie
    I pray that Yellow One will be alright.

Hattie

Bleeding

Yellow One has blood on her wings, on the ends. Well anyway, my other bird had this (one I no longer have) and we called the place we got it at and I don't recall what causes this, and how can I stop it. (I'm almost positive it's old dried blood, so should I give her a bath?)
    Hattie

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Re: RE:

If she is still bleeding, you will have to restrain her and press the cornstarch onto her feather. If it keeps on bleeding, it will have to be pulled out, which is not a pleasant thing to have to do, but necessary if the bleeding persists. I would suggest remaining calm around her and trying to keep her calm. The more she bats around her cage, the more the feather will be agitated, and the greater the likelihood that it will start to bleed again.