Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Hello Budgie question...

RBohannon

Hello Budgie question...

Hello everyone...I personaly owna , that I have had for only about 1yr now and it kills my son that the bird wants nothing to do with him....My son is 6 and a very mellow child and was wondering if a Budgie ping would make a good bird for him if i get one that's just been weened so maybe it will bond with him and not me!!
    Thanks for any help or info!!
    Rebecca

parsleythebudgie

Re: Hello Budgie question...

ping and have the tendency to get attached to humans of the oposite sex. Try to buy him a female and be sure it's a young one or one that is used to human hands.

My Parsley became a female as she grew up and it was noticeable that she loves my husband to pieces. She likes me, plays with me a lot, likes to hang around n my head and shoulder, but she melts when he scratches her head and holds her on his hand. Silly little girl.

Thanks

Hello Budgie question...

Hi Why not get your son another tiel? But perhaps a budgie would be more accurate! ping But if you do be sure to get a handfed from your local breeder!

P.S: parsleythebudgie I'm not sure that budgies prefer humans of the opposite sex;who told you that? Just get over the fact that your budies prefers your Husband over you!

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

You could try getting your son a budgie or another tiel, or a lovebird even. Just know that budgies and lovebirds cannot be caged with tiels. Another tiel could possibly be caged together, if they get along.

Budgies are great, and I love mine dearly, but your son might have a better experience with a hand-raised tiel or lovebird, as they are usually very tame by the time you get them. Budgies, even when handled as young birds, are often not as tame as hand-raised tiels or lovebirds. You need to work harder to get them more tame, and your son, being so young, might not appreciate that. If you think you might be interested in lovies, try posting some questions in our lovebird forums - we have several dedicated lovie owners as members! Just a warning though - in my experience, lovebirds can bite harder than tiels and budgies. Based on all that, my advice woudl be to look into getting another tiel, but whatever you do, I'm sure you'll get a wonderful new pet! Keep us posted.

Thanks

Get a budgie, they are great
    A tiel or even a lovebird usually have a meaner bite than budgies do...
    Make sure that your son knows how to handle it properly (so no grabbing), and that he recognises that the birdie needs to come back to the cage often to have something to eat (not staying out for hours at a time unless with a food and water dish), and to never ever leave the bird out of sight when it's out of its cage

Thanks

Awwww! Thanks for saying that! I wanted to get a Cockatiel and now you've said they've a meaner bite. When my budgies used to bite me it used to hurt like crazy coz they were handfed and they ate off my hand. Are you sure Budgies-n-tiels can't live togther? They seem to be quite peaceful on Necro Angels site? Anyway why not take your son to a pet shop and ask to play with the birds. That way he can choose for himself and everybody's happy! :b

RBohannon

Thanks everyone...we are going out of town for a few days then were gonna call all local Bird Lady and she if she has any babies or ones on the way....This way my son can go and see all the birds and decide if he thinks he's ready for one!! Thanks so much again...
    Rebecca
    Mama of Woodie
    and my 2 human babies Brennen and Collin

Thanks

That seems a great idea and I think I'll do the same and get myself a tiel!