Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Albino?

jhall6293

Albino?

I have a budgie that is almost pure white except for a few of his/her lower body feathers which are pastel lavender-colored. It has no markings on it's face, however, where a common budgie would have the violet marking on the face, the feathers are unusually thin. Its cere is pink, but I read that in albinos that doesn't give hint to the sex. It also has pink eyes, but it's only about 4 months old. Albino? It seems to have a problem too, like it's overly clumsy, it flops around sometimes like a fish out of water knocks it's food bowl off the bars of the cage; I'm quite sure it's not sick, but could it have a mental retardation or something?? That sounds so mean, but I don't know how else to word it. Can anyone help?

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re: Albino?

Nope, albiono will be pute white with red eyes. Some of the lighter budgies do have red eyes as well

it is possible he has some type of retardation- from inbreeding, food deprivation when weaning, being hurt somehow in the nest, etc ,etc. You've had the avain vet check him out? If so, chicks are also quite clumsy, so you will have to see if he grows out of it .

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Re: Albino?

Can you describe this flopping aroudn a bit more? I fidn when my young budgie is excitged, he flaps around and jumps all over the place, knocking things over. I just can't tell from your description if that's the same as what yoru bird is doing. Can you tell us more about your bird?

jhall6293

re:

Snowflake (the white budgie) is still just a chick, but maybe the flopping around is caused by improper wing clipping? - she was already clipped when I bought her. When I let her out, she flies directly into whatever is in her way; walls, computer, bookcase, etc. it looks painful, so I try to avoid letting her out in a large room (so that she can't gain speed and kill herself). So the pink eyes are normal in young budgies? She hasn't been through a first molt yet. Another thing though, my other two budgies, Sky and Snickers went through a molt at the same time - it was Sky's first and Snicker's second, is it common for budgies to molt at the same time even if they're different ages and from completely different familes? Thanks for all of your help!

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re: re:

the moult- yes.

yes, an improper clip could be the problem . She may not be clipped quite enough- she should be able to glide to the ground, but not keep and maintain speed like it seems you are describing...

Thanks

Moult

Yes. Birds moult twice per year so they may have moulted at the same time by luck.