Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Emi S.
    Thanks

Jealous bird, any suggestions?

My two budgies have never truely gotten along, but now it's getting serious!!!

Ollie, who I got in Nov, seems to be really jealous that I give ANY attention whatsoever to Pablo!!!! She always attacks him when I'm not looking, and then when I got to separate them she takes it all out on Pablo!

It's starting to get serious, yesterday Ollie knocked Pablo clear off my hand! I've just started to take them out separately so that I can give them individual attention and also to try and nip Ollie's serious biting problem.

They are in separate cages... should I just keep letting them out separately before one of them seriously hurts another?

Oh dear, I make them sound like tyrants... they're real sweeties... just not to eachother .

Help!

Clynn128

Re: Jealous bird, any suggestions?

I would just take them out individually. it's probably a safer idea. Good luck.

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

birdpalace - I doubt that this would work for you, but I actually use Pez's jealousy of Mudge to my advantage - he sees me playing with Mudge and comes over. I have wonderful sessions like the one I described a few weeks back, where Mudge is sitting in one hand, and the other hand is holding Pez and scratching Mudge simultaneously! I try to handle them both separately, but I also try to spend time together with them, and when I do I try to have at least one finger scratching each bird at the same time. Separating them might be the better solution for you, but I find that if I separate them, sometimes when they are out together to play, Pez is extra mean to Mudge at first - all that pent up anger, I guess! If you're worried about them hurting each other, of course, keep them separate, but I can think of a few suggestions for you if you would like to phase them into being in the same cage or vicinity together:

1) Have extra food and water dishes at different levels so that they don't have to share - even three of each if you have space in the shared cage. If there is a pecking order, and one always gets to use the higher dish, then so be it - at least they will not fight (by the way, the pecking order and having some higher dishes so that the bird at the top of the pecking order will not fight the other one for the lower dishes is just a theory of mine. My guys don't fight so badly, so I have not had an opportunity to test this theory).

2) If you are playing with Pablo around Ollie, try making sure that you make eye contact with Ollie and talk to her at the same time, and she might be less jealous.

3) If you have a third cage, or one that is not in use, maybe you could try making this a shared cage for the two of them once you have made some progress with Ollie. That way, once the behaviour has improved, they can hash out their differences afresh in, hopefully, a more civilized manner, in a cage that neither of them has a territorial history in. That way, old territorial grudges over favourite spots would be irrelevant.

Thanks

I would keep them in separate cages, you don't want ollie to kick the poor thing into the next week while you're not looking!

Let them have separate play time, since they don't behave with each other, but don't do it in front of the stillc aged bird. If you take pablo out, take it into another room and vice versa.

Name
    Emi S.
    Thanks

Okay guys! Thanks for all your help!!! I hope it'll work out!