Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

BUDGIE PARAKEET

Can people own an Eagle as a pet in The US?

I was just wondering if people are allowed to own an American Bald Eagle in The US!

That would be really cool to own one. But I bet we are not allowed!

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Re: Can people own an Eagle as a pet in The US?

NO. It is against the law. It is a protected bird!

BUDGIE PARAKEET

Yea thats what I figured. But I would own one if I could! Would you?

twistedthorns

Yes, they are protected. But if I could have one, I would want to. Although, eagles eat a ton of food..and not to mention..would love trying to kill my budgie. o.o;

BUDGIE PARAKEET

Yeah! You would probably have to buy alot of fish and other things to feed it. It would cost alot!

Sweet Tweet

Actually in canada you can get this liscene through the gov't that let's you own any animal in the world. endangered or not. it takes some time to get too the hightest card level though.

well my sisters boyfriend has a lisense and he used to train and own endangered falcons. well when they move out of an apartment and buy a home he will get falcons again, and if HE trains me (because he owns a licesnce) i could get a falcon.
    heheh you walk around they follow you in the air and come to you when you call..CUTEEE

so if you are willing to be really commited to your bird and serious than you should check if your gov't has that liscense program. 2

BUDGIE PARAKEET

WOW! I would like to have a falcon too!

Dahija

I can tell you that Bald eagles are alot of work! I worked with a pair at the zoo, and they are very loud, never truly are tame, and have curved talons and beaks the length of your fingers that can crush your bones without a second thought. They are incredibly strong....personal experience on that one. They also eat adult rats and fish by the dozens per week. And their white liquid stool is projectile. As in VERY messy. LOL...I wouldn't own one ever, personally.

I am not sure of the falconer's liscences cover any eagles, but I do know they cover red-tailed hawks, Cooper's Hawks and other birds of prey. You might want to check out websites about falconer's to see if Bald Eagles are included.

Thanks

There is a way of having an endangered species in almost every country - you just have to know the right species. Many endangered animals are 'rescued' from being illegal pets, from being shot or injured by a predator. Often when the animal is well again, it's too used to people to be released back into the wild. Some are reabilitated, others are kept as pets by people who are given a special permit to keep that one particular endangered animal...

BUDGIE PARAKEET

Well here are some interesting facts. I read that the bald eagle can fly at 44-65 miles per hour! And when it is in a dive it is flying at about 200 miles per hour! MAN! Thats really cool.

Dahija

Want to be amazed by a bird's flight? Look up Peregrine Falcons...they dive amazingly fast....and can pivot in midair...it's awesome if you ever get to see video footage of one...

BUDGIE PARAKEET

Ok cool. I'll check it out.

BUDGIE PARAKEET

Name
    Emi S.
    Thanks

Yea... IMO Falcons and Eagles are wild animals that need a lot of space, and to own one would mean taking that all away... I personally would never want to keep one, but I was raised as "If it's wild, never touch it".

Sweet Tweet

THAT BIRD IS SO PRETTY!!! WHAT KIND OF FALCON IS IT!? SOOOOOO CUTE!!!! PLEASE SAY!!!

oh and bird palace when a person owns a falcon it's not kept in a cage. they let it fly around outside.....you can flight train a parrot like a falcon so why CAN'T parrot's do that too?

BUDGIE PARAKEET

He's a peregrine falcon!!!!!

Sweet Tweet

hey thank! i though it might be but i didn't wanna guess

BUDGIE PARAKEET

Yeah he is a beautiful bird. He looks like a big budige!

gsacjj

Wow thats a great picture, its so pretty!

klytamnestra

eagles

Where I grew up, Bald Eagles were very common. When I would go out fishing, I would toss back fish I didn't want to keep, and every time an eagle would come down and grab it.

What amazes me is how many times I have seen a pair of crows drive a pair of eagles out of their nest. :o They're not the bravest of birds...

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Re: eagles

Before anyone considers getting a bird of prey, even if the licences allow you to, take a look in your area and see if there are any falconry centres, bird of prey conservation areas, or wildlife rehabilitation and rescue centres. These places often need or at least will allow volunteers to come help. It's a great opportunity to see if you're cut out for this kind of responsibility. I don't think I could ever get last the cutting up dead animals part, although I am sure that is the LEAST of the responsibilities a bird of prey owner would have.

Name
    Emi S.
    Thanks

Re: eagles

Ugh, I think the whole eagle and falcon and hawk captivation is stinky. Why do we keep them captivated(besides the endangered ones, which I know is because they are being rehabilitated or what not)? Maybe I don't get it, I don't know... I don't agree with captivation at all.