Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: ? about eggs

our3lilgirls

? about eggs

Last night we looked in the nest box to see that mom and the 2 abies are ok and well thery were but the top of one of the 4 eggs was off and we could see that there was a partial developed chick inside. I felt so bad. Well, why did this happen? Could we have prevented it? What about the opther 3 eggs? Will they hatch or are they also dead inside? Is there a time that you know that no more will hatch. The last baby hathed a week ago now and the forst baby will be 2 weeks on Saturday. Thanks for any help you can give.

Name
    Jose Luis Aguilar
    Thanks

Re: ? about eggs

Hi Our3lilgirs!

I am sorry to hear about the 3rd baby! When my tiels had 6 eggs, and only 2 hatched, I was very concerned and worried about the remaining 4 eggs. I felt guilty about the other 4 not hatching. Was it something I did? What could I have done to prevent it? :|

My suggestion is to candle the eggs to see if they look fertile or alive. I am thinking that they are either infertile or the baby had died in the egg. If the parents have stopped sitting on the eggs, then that will also be an indication that the eggs won't hatch. I believe the incubation period for budgies is 18 days, give or take a several days.

Good luck! Let us know what happens, and keep us informed on the two that have hatched.

Thanks

that happened to our budgies. I'm pretty sure that there is nothing you could have done - this probably happened because the chick died in the egg some time ago and mother budgie opened the egg up (they know if the egg is dead somehow). Just remove it I guess...

our3lilgirls

Thanks! We did remove it.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sharon & Darren King
    Thanks

You did the right thing removing it.

Also don't feel too bad these things happen all the time. You are EXTREMELY lucky if all the eggs hatch. On average I will lose about 20% of eggs (or one in five) and you can look at it that nature decided there was something wrong.

A lot of people get the guilts about these things and try to do more, but in a lot of cases "less is more". In other words in a lot of cases just let nature take it's course.

Cheers