Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: HELP!!!!!

Linzee722

HELP!!!!!

Hi there, I was just wondering if when female budgies are about to lay an egg, if by chance they tend to bleed? I have a female who is still active, but she has blood all over her bum.... I have heard about egg bound budgies, but I don't really know much about this. If any one can let me know it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advace,
    Linzee

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

Re: HELP!!!!!

argh! no, they do NOT tend to bleed, this is a very serious problem and your bird need to see an avain vet, like, now!
    i realise this may offend you, but your bird is really sick, this is NOT normal in any way, and indicates something serious is wrong. you shouldn't be waiting for a reply on a message board, your should be rishing for an avain vet! but seeing you didn't know any better, you'll just have to rush to a vet now!
    now that you do know you NEED to get her to an avain vet, there's no excuse!
    do tell us how you get on.....?

FD

Linzee722

Re: HELP!!!!!

Hey everyone thought i would give you a update on the bleeding budgie. It turned out to be a prolapse. So they put it back in and stitched her up. So i hope that that helps her. Let you know how it goes. Has anyone ever had a prolapse in a budgie before??
    Linzee

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re:

Wow! Good thing you took her in soon! Those can be deadly. hopefully, it will not happen again, but once they do, there is an increased risk she may prolapse again, so keep a close eye on her .

I've never seen it, even heard of it in birds, though it happens to sheep fairly often!
    Glad she is doing well!

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

Re: Re:

yuo're very lucky, but do keep a very close eye on her, as yes, once they've done it once, they tend to do it again... and it is often fatal!
    i have heard of it in budgies, never actualy heard of it from someone or anything, just read it had happened before. we had a chicken that prolapsed, we put her down as it wasn't fair on her, she was too far gone by the time we found her (our chikens free range) and if we fixed it she'd be likely to do it again or not lay much, and we wouldn't breed her as it's also heriditory, or tends to be. so don't breed this hen either, even if she fully recovers and is fine, it's best not to breed her (for risk of her prolapsing again too!)
    good luck, and i hope she is ok!!!

FD

Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re: Re:

Glad everything turned out well!

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Prolapse????

What is a prolapse??

Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re: Prolapse????

heh...

When the uterus come OUT of the body, on a hen. :/ .
    A vet is needed immediently, and if it happens once, it tends to re-occur.

Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

Re: Prolapse????

yep, when they're pushing, and it somehow gets all cuaght up, and they uterus gets infront of the egg, they'll then try to lay the egg, and be pushing thier uterus out, which must hurt like h*ll! if left, they'll continue to try (painfully) to push that egg out, nearly turning themselves inside out trying, and die. ! ok, so they wont' turn themselves inside out, but must feel like it.

FD

Jpkbean

My friend...

Mt friend Tess had a budgie who was alone in the cage and tried laying an infertile egg. She had a prolapse, and to gaurentee is didn't happen again, I think the docters tied her tubes but I'm not sure. She never layed another egg,. and has NEVER had another prolapse. I don't think it would be wise risking her life for breeding..................... I'm not sure tho.........maybe ask ur vet....... also, did ur vet give ur vaccinations to give her? i'm not sure if its nessicary........

Hatching
    Thanks

Re: My friend...

flip! that would hurt so bad!! im glad shes ok now, but as everyone else sed, keep an eye on her a s s just incase. sorry to be so prompt, but its the way i am. because this happens2 females then what happens to males, do their testicals come out or does nothin happen? cuz my budge is a boy, can males have a prolapse of a different
    sort??? stupid questio...

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

So, if the bird is not puching out an egg, is it not possible to have a prolapse? If so, is there anything that can be done to prevent a female from trying to lay eggs, or is that just as dangerous? Tying the tubes seems so severe. That must be a difficult surgery for a bird. I ask because my next birdie will probably be a female.

Name
    fj
    Thanks

It is very very rare in budgies, so i would not worry about it too much.

My knowlege on prolapsing in budgies isn't very great, but if they are like other animals, they can prolaps without laying an egg at the time.
    Again, if they are like sheep, anyway, males can prolapse. Let me re-emphisise, though, this is very, very, very rare.

Remove Ads