Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help, my budgie killed the other budgie

kkoldan

Help, my budgie killed the other budgie

I hope someone has an answer out there. My male and female budgie just had babies. Two eggs hatched and the other 4 were empty. Anyhow, everyone thing was fine, the eggs hatched and the babies are now about 3 1/2 weeks old. Until last night, when I came home the male budgie was dead! Apparently, his eyes were poked out and his little head was bleeding and his feathers on his head were pulled out! Apparently, the female budgie did this, but why? They've shared the same cage for over a year! The babies don't fly yet and do not leave the nest, they could not have done it. The male budgie never went near them! I feel awful! I had never heard of such a thing with parakeets! If someone has an answer, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Help, my budgie killed the other budgie

Yep females get pretty aggressive when breeding, but this is the worst case I suppose... The aggressive behaviour unfortunately is genetic, so it couls pass on to the chicks
    You shouldn't breed this hen again, or any of the chicks when they grow up, to avoid producing even more aggressive budgies! also keep an eye on the hen - she may start hurting her babies next

HPotter

Re: Happened to me too

That happened to me too. The females do get very very aggressive. It seems weird that they would kill their own mate but it happens a lot. It is a very good idea not to breed this female again so she doesn't hurt anybody else. . .

§HPotter

Hatching
    Thanks

Re: Happened to me too

god, i cant beleive that. i agree with the guys above, dont have her breed again. you cant risk another budgies life, if you do get another keep it seperate.

bethie123456

Re: Help, my budgie killed the other budgie

YEs. Keep a very close eye on her and take care of those babys.

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Can you pull the babies?

I'm so sorry to hear about your budgie's death. How awful.

Here is an idea from a person who has never bred birds, so maybe get others' input before you try it. Do you think that you might be able to pull the babies from the nest and handfeed at some point? I am not sure how much time you have for hand-feeding, and if they're old enough yet, but if the mom is aggressive, it might be worth it to pull them if you can.

For you experienced budgie breeders, is this a good idea or a bad idea? If the babies are pulled from the nest and placed and kept nice and warm, but do not accept hand-feeding, is the female likely to be even more aggressive if they are returned to the nest?

Remove Ads