where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: is my budgies male or female

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kevin
    Thanks

is my budgies male or female

ok i have 2 budgies that i got from a pet store that was going out of buiseness and they had to get rid of everything they had 2 budgies left i was looking at there cocktiels and i looked up and saw there sad faces i just had to take them home so i bought them.ok one is white head light blue and the other is little bit fo white on head but maostly dark blue there ceres are blue and pink mixed both of thems are?i think there still young does any1 know what color females ceres gets i think that one is male but not sure bout other??

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

Re: is my budgies male or female

do they have the bars/dark stripes on their heads? if so, do the bars go right over their heads to their ceres? if so, they're young. also, if their irises are dark (so their eyes look all dark) then they're young, if the irises are light, they're older. mature males have a blue cere, females brown..... though the blue-ish pink-ish ceres usualy indicate a young budgie.
    though, depending on the mutation, everything i just said could be totaly wrong! (i don't know alot about budgies, if i'm wrong, i hope someone will correct me!) if ya could get any pics it'd help alot! try looking at the home page, there's some good links on budgie mutations in the links page i think (was last time i looked!!!!!) that might be able to help.
    good luck, and congrats on the new budgies!

FD

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kevin
    Thanks

male or female

hi ok i think there the opaline mutation they have black stripes but they stop just before they reach the cere on both of them.i will get somee pictures today and post them.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kevin
    Thanks

male or female

hi ok i think there the opaline mutation they have black stripes but they stop just before they reach the cere on both of them.i will get somee pictures today and post them.i know that one of them cere is blue and turning from light blue getting darker the other one is turning pink with alittle bit of blue so i think i lucked out and got male and female ok thanks kevin

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Re: male or female

if there ceres are blue then they are males if they are brownish color they are females.

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

Re: male or female

well that is generaly true, it does depend on the mutation! males have blue, but females aren't nessesarily brown, they can be pink and stuff too, just not brown..... and lutinos and albinos are different again!

FD

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kevin
    Thanks

Male or Female?

well it's been 5 months since i posted this and one of them is white and blue and has no barrings on it's head anymore and one has half of the barrings are gone and it's cere is turning all pink could this be male,female?:sleep

Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

Re: Male or Female?

likely female..... but the cere can change around alot before sttling down to be one colour! blue is male, anything else is female basicly... females are generaly brown ceres, but can be pink or white even!

FD