Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: I killed a soon to be budgie...:-(

seeshell001

I killed a soon to be budgie...:-(

........I'm soooooooo sad.....Sharkette.....was happy but ready to breed.....in her avairy....along with a quail.....So Shell buys.....a Male...unnamed..(till after quail xperience)...2 days pass..I go out to put rubbish~~~~>bin....and find...new Male....eating.....quils head.....blue budgie was now r ed...blood everywhere....~~~~~> Shell..removes quail....bye quail....now Sharkette and named....D12...start laying eggs...this is 1st August...a week ago now..September something or other????( eggs were long over use by date.I had to tell da kids that it was time for me to see what was alive or not....I was Clueless myself.....but they had 12...yes 12 eggs....So i take nesting box into bedroom....with youngest kid......big mistake......first quite a few were obviously....dead as.....like brown hard stuff in it....others I was so clueless.....I had a light to try and see.obviously not helpn me much.the light...( remember clueless shell)....next one....I cracked it thinking...its dead.....and NOT....only just....concieved....as in bits of blood.......Youngest...started screaming......you killed a budgie Mum....I bluffed her....and sent her from da room.....then last one thought to self.......stupid self....now....try this last.....dead one.........BUT>.....aaaaaaaarrrrrrrhhhh....I cracked it......and.......there was a Blink.its eye....of a fully formed ...probably bout to hatch...couple of days??.....and Shell...killed it.....depression.....struck.....tears......Horrid time.....glad da kids werent in da room.....I left 3 eggs in the nesting box and returned it to Sharkettte and D12....Now 3 or so days later Shell checks....the nesting box....Sharkette...is very...gentle.....And to my surprise....there is only ONE eggs there.......WHY.....How could she.....or D12.....( ooohhhhh bugger....killer D12...).how could they get the 2 other...eggs....outta nesting box........I cant find any remains...of any egg shellls.....anywhere.......So whats happening....do they eat their own eggs.????,,,,cant work that one out....cause why didnt they eat...some of other...the 12 from b4....??

crystal3526

Re: I killed a soon to be budgie...:-(

Im sorry to hear your story If i was you, I would clean out the nest box and start from scratch. If you find B12 is still eatinf eggs, remove a few and smear them with mustard, place them back in the nest box. This should be enough to deter him once he tries the mustard. This worked on a cockatiel pair of mine.

Hope all works well for you
    Crystal

seeshell002

....D12...??did he eat more eggs????

.......I left 3 eggs in the nesting box....and 2day when i went to see them.....Sharkette....is very gentle...D12..is not...hehehe....there was only 1 egg.......where did the..other 2 eggs.go.....??....Im so confused....How da heck.....do they get them outta da nesting box....if t hats whats happend....but then where are they.....nowhere to be seen...Did he eat they or what>???????thanks for your responce....

seeshell002

problems with my username

sorry....had trouble....seeshell001..is.yes..now..seeshell002.. .sorry guys...D12 and Sharkette....left their box for a short time...sunning themselves....kissing...and..???she brings da gentle side out in him....hehehehhe

crystal3526

Re: problems with my username

Birds do eat eggs sometimes. Everything all gone. I have seen it in finches, doves, cockatiels and in of course budgies. If you can manage to steal one egg and smear it with the mustard you may be able to deter him from eating eggs in the future.

Sorry for your loss,
    Crystal

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

I am having trouble understanding/reading your posts due to all the punctuation... sry if I mis-understand anything.

Eating eggs tends to be common, it is also known to stop after the first clutch or two.

Budgies can be VERY agressive toward other birds; they should NEVER be housed with other species.

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Eggs take roughly a month to hatch, and the bird usually lays every other day, so they can be 24 days aprat, with 12 eggs.

Please don't let your birds take care of 12, that is way to stressful,a nd hard ont hebirds, keep the clutch to 4-6, and boil throw the rest laid after that date away. Do not remove all eggs- she will continue laying then. If you don't want her laying, boil and give them back to her, and wait until she abandons them.

Thanks

As FJ said, Budgies are very territorial little fellows and shouldn't be housed with another specie (Unless you have a very very large aviary but I'm not even sure of that).

My suggestiong would be to put the breeding on hold until you gather more information on breeding budgies. Try to find a breeder or avian vet who could give you information and also teach you to hand feed. Since you seem to intend on breeding, you should be ready for hand-feeding (either to get friendly babies to sell or to keep or to help the parents in case of emergency). You also should plan some emergency vet money in case something goes wrong with either the parents (mostly the female being egg-bound or breaking bones) or with the chicks. Make sure you provide your pair with a complete diet (extra calcium for the lady)

We do not encourage breeding for it is very demanding of the birds and owner, but if it is what you want, we're here to help as much as we can , but you must be sure that you have all the ressources and knowledge on your side. Hope I could help a little!

~ Taffy, her spoiled little Baby and her psychotic Flamie Boy

Remove Ads