Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Taming

Budgie2003

Taming

Hi
    I did was as been suggested ..putting my hand on the side of my Budgies cage so they get used to me but still same problem they still go crazy when i open the cage door to feed them and clean there cage out ..
    Now yesterday we had fun trying to catch them so we can bring them to have there wings clip ,so had that done ..now what i would like to know is would it be best or easier to catch one and bring it out of the cage and try to get it used to me that way doing that to each of them one at a time or should i just keep waiting with my hand on the side of the cage until they get used to my hand ... I don't know what to do ..Please help

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re: Taming

How long have you been doing your hand onthe SIDE, not TOP of cage? If may be 2-3 weeks, then you will move to sitting it inside the cage witha treat sticking up between your fingers.

The easiest way will be to remove toys & perches (so they don't get injured in all the flapping). You can just sit them on the bottom, and using a towel place it over them. Hold them in one hand, and let them squirm forward so their wings are against their sides, feet at the bottom, feathers smoothed out (This is called toweling).You will make a C shape with your hand, the opening will be in the wing region. GENTLY pull the wing away from the body, and procede to clip. This is easiest with two people.

Here is a link
    exoticpetvet.net/avian/clip.html
    There are some good pics here, as well.

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

yeah, try that next time! but now as they are already clipped, ya wanna take out one at a time, and either have it in a diff room or cover the cage while it's out, as it'll want to go back to it's freind! they are easier to tame alone... and as their wings are clipped it will help alot!
    heck, my budgie who i've had for who knows how many years now, still hates my hand in her cage! try to teach them to step up and when they're good at that try transfer it to the cage.... they can be let out together, infact make sure you do let them out together! but for training just one at a time. ya wanna make 'out' a fun place, something they WANT, so only ever having them out seperatlywon't help. my reason ya want it fun is once they're good at step up outside the cage, and they love being allowed out for play time together, then ya wanna try get the idea across that they are only allowed out on your finger.... that'll help the whole 'i hate your hand in here' thing!
    good luck! and just keep at it, think in the region of months and years to get 2 tame budgies!

FD

Budgie2003

Taming

Hi
    Thank you for your reply
    Well let me start by saying that i tried to get them used to my hand today and some how the male budgie flew on my harm and got out of the cage boy let me tell we had fun with him running around and trying to fly but the most fun was trying to catch him boy do they ever bite hard i must have gotten bitten like 10 times he flew on my sofa and he was bitting it as if ....lol
    But i let him out for a bit while getting him on my finger but he kept bitting me so i put him back in the cage ..
    So i hope that this was a break trough with the male now for the female is a different thing but i'm not giving up ...lol
    So Tell me am i doing the right thing
    Should i kept doing it like that or What ...
    But other then thank you both for your suggestions

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

While he is out, do NOT scare him by chasing him around, this will only provide you with biting, and make it much harder to tame him in the long run. They do need to be out- just open the door, and let them play outdside/on the top. They should come out on their own. When they get hungry/thirsty, they will go back in. When you put your hand in the cage, use a door you can close against your hand so he cannot get out... like the food door, or grab a twisty tie, and tie the door to the top so ya don't have to hold it- don't leave tie on once you are done, themetal is bad for them.
    Best of Luck!

Remove Ads