Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Any Tips

Budgie2003

Any Tips

Hi
    Can anyone help me or give my tips ..
    My problem is ..Every time i go to open my cage my Budgies fly every where i guess they must be scared but
    i've had them for a month now and you would think that they would be used to us going in there to feed them and clean there cage ..
    So can anyone help me out or give me some tips on how to approach them so they don't get so frighten
    Thank you
    Lise

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re: Any Tips

They need to be clipped before you try taming them- theya re scared, and flying in fright, and can *easily* injure themself. Have your vet, or a breeder, show you how.
    For a week or two, stand/sit beside the cage with your hand on (the side, not the top) for awhile (and hour or so) the more you can do this, the better. Oncde they are no longer scared of your hand, and will play if it is near, then open a door, or food catch, and sit your hand inside the cage with a treat in it. Do this for a few weeks until they are comfortable, and will eat out of your hand.
    Use something not available in their cage- such as millet, broccoli, something they like. Once they are okay with this, then gently push up against the breast, and say up. he will probably step on, then immediently jump back off. Let them do this for a week.
    Now you want to take ONE out, and bring it into a seperate room. If he is still too wild to stay on your finger, towel him, or place him in a box. In the other room, make sure the door is closed so he cannot see the other bird, or room. Uou are now the only familiar object. Try working with your hands have him step on, eat some good food he likes, hang out on a play gym. Keep these to 20-25 min Max. Make the first few times fun rather than concentrating too hard on taming. On the 3-4th time, work for 10-15 min. with step-ups, pettig, same type things, but only work for 10-15 minutes, or whatever the birds attention span is.

It iwll be harder, and take longer to tame two at the same time. be patient and consistant, it will probably take several months to get them to the point of playing out of the cage with you at the same time. Also try reading any of the cockatiel topics ont eh same thing, most of the info will apply to both species.
    Good LUck!

Budgie2003

Re:Any Tips

Ok thank you that really helped out
    If i may ask you one more Question ?
    Is it same to give Budgies bananas i gave them some today along with some apples and they really love it

Thanks again
    Lise

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re:

yes, bananas are fine
    Do NOT FEED
    Avacado
    onion
    cafine
    chocolate

Anyother veggies, fruits are fine

*Poetry Comes From The Soul* Maturing... Budgieobsession's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Re:

i got 2 budgies a week ago and im wondering that if the taking them out after a week and playing with them without any hand in the cage works do they need checkups or shots they havent touched their water or their toys is this normal. thanx. also i have some questions in budgie feeding-vetcare plz go there if u got time thanx.

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

Re: Re:

after a week, yes you can start trying to tame them, but note it can take a long time!! don't rush them..... if their wings are clipped you can let them out and tame them easier... i bet ya anything that they have touched their water, if they hadn't in a week they'd be seriously sick! i had my first budgie for years and years (though i never spent much time with her as i was too little to understand patience much!) and i only saw her drink a few times!!! they often just don't drink when you'r watching! and not touching the toys is normal, just give them time to get used to them! they sghould have a vet check (by an AVAIN vet!!!) yearly...

FD

Remove Ads