Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

SSJ2Bardock

My keet just layed an egg

she layed it on the bottom of the cage and now she's sitting on it

my mom dosnt know what to do and im getting yelled at everytime i try to suggest something

should we let her keep it on the bottom or put it in a basket

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

Re: My keet just layed an egg

is she by herself (ie, no male keet?) if so, just leave her and the eggs. the eggs will infertile, and so they won't hatch. if you moved them she'd likely not sit on them, just lay more. if you leave them she'll stay there, and sit for a while. after the normal incubation time is up, she'll likely give up and abandon them.
    if she has a male around, you'd be best to boil the egg, ool it, mark it with a pen/pencil (just a dot) and put it back. that way the egg definatly won't hatch (only nessesary if it could be fertile). if she lays more eggs, do the same (marking them so you know which have bee boiled!) and leave her to sit.
    a basket won't do anything for her. you can try putting some shavings or tissue paper or something underneth the egg, so it won't be so likely to break. she'll probably make a nest if you gave her tissue paper to shred up.
    the most important thing is you give her lot of healthy food. she needs calcium especialy, provide a cuttle fish and/or mineral block. good quality seeds, and fresh vegies. also a boiled egg won't do any harm (shell and all!) and there's recipies for 'birdie bread' on the internet that are great. she needs alot of extra food, sa producing eggs is hard on her little body! keep a close eye on her, to check she doesn't get egg bound (which is potentialy lethal!) but don't disturb her more than you have too. she'll be ok, just let her realise it's not gonna work. good luck!

FD

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Katelynn
    Thanks

this is kate. isnt it kind of mean to boil and egg if it may be fertile. wouldnt that mean killing a living thing????

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

yeah, it is cruel, i hate thinking about it. but if you were to elave it, it'd likely die because it's on the cage floor and you don't have the correct knowledge to let them try raising them. alot of people put it in the freezer for several days, or shake up the egg really hard, or simply remove it and put in a fake one. i cant think about that, or i'd never eat an egg again! our chickens have a rooster amoungst them, so most of the eggs they lay are probably fertile, they just aren't sat on and so never develop. we eat them, we boil them, we scramble them, cook them, etc. i can't think about possibly killing a potential chick, or we'd be over-run with uneaten eggs!
    of course ya could leave the egg, and hope the egg doesn't get broken on the cage floor while the chick is growing, or that the chick doesn't die, after hatching, from cold, or hope that it doesn't get hurt otherwise from being on the cage floor....... also, what if the parents hurt it, or not feed it properly, and ya don't know how to handfeed, the chick will have to die because no one can care for it. rather boil the eggs, and if wanting to let them raise the next lot, fine, cram as much info between now and then, but no way near enough time for you to let this lot be raised!!!!!!
    well, that's my opinion anyway!

FD

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Katelynn
    Thanks

shouldnt you just remove the male so that if the female lays an egg it will be unfertile and you woulnt be killing? sorry this is just hard to grasp.

Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

well yeah.... but you'd need to keep them seperate for ever, constantly, and that defeats the purpous of having a tiel as a compainion for your other tiel! also, once there's already an egg, removing the male won't make a difference, that egg and the following couple of ones could be fertile. also, you could end up dealing with screaming tiels if ya seperate like that! if they're hurting each other, they do need seperated, but if they're ok, usualy it's pointless to remove the male except to have a couple of eggs not fertile.
    like i said, you'd still need to voil the first egg, and the second egg, maybe even the third one i'm not sure! unless they were seperate already, and had no play time together or anything.

FD

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Katelynn
    Thanks

ok i guess i sorta get it now but i would hate to do it. im just glad that you boil the egg when its young and not grown.

Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

yeah, if you were to open a fertile egg when it's not long been layed, it'd look EXACTLY like a normal egg ya buy from the supermarket, just smaller! it only develops if it's incubated, if left it'll just stay the same! if you ever get freerange eggs, ya never know, they could be fertile too, and you'r killing them by eating them.......

FD

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Katelynn
    Thanks

do u know if some people eat the budgie eggs i know its a queer question but i hafta know!!! it would be kinga gross or would it be like a small chicken egg?

Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

no idea, but i imagin it's just be an ity bity chicken eggs in taste! there's no reason why it'd taste alot different!

FD