Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else with a budgie who hates baths?

klytamnestra

Anyone else with a budgie who hates baths?

Everything I've ever read says that budgies are supposed to LOVE, ADORE, ect baths... but mine hate them. They won't use the budgie bathtub I bought them, will go nowhere near running water, and cringe and try to escape when I mist them.

I tried letting Pippin sit on the shower door while I showered, hoping he might take part with me. As soon as I turned the water on he freaked out and flew out of the shower.

And yet... my two birds do go nuts verbally when they hear running water...

thoughts, ideas?

treemaiden60

Re: Anyone else with a budgie who hates baths?

i have the same problem and still haven't figured out to get my birds to bathe, but have u tried putting wet lettuce in a bowl? some books say that some birds prefer rolling around in wet lettuce, but it didn't work w/my bird. try it, and see if ur birds prefer that method of bathing.

gsacjj

Ugh, my budgie is the same way...any response to this post with how to get your budgie to bathe would be wonderful!!

Mama Bear Darwin

I have no idea if this will help, and I'm just a new budgie owner, but here's how I get Lo to bathe:

I put him either in the tub or our deep kitchen sink (with a strainer over the drain, of course! ), and let the water drip at the opposite end of the tub/sink from him. This way, he can approach the water on his own terms, at his own pace. The first time, it took a bit, and I finally took the sprayer and ran a little of the warm water right at his feet, to make sure he understood that there was water down there, and that it was nice and warm.

I hope this helps. Lo loves his baths, but pretty much lets me know when he's done, by standing well away from the stream of water. I tried bird baths, by the way, and all he did was drink from one.

Name
    Kathy
    Thanks

Cosmo hates baths too. I just get a space heater or hairdrier and heat up the bathroom, then carry the cage in, remove the perches and food dish and put a bowl full of lukewarm (not hot or cold) water in the bottom of the cage. Then I take a bath to encourage him. If he doesn't take a bath on his own I clean him myself. I wouldn't use soap, if I were you. I just kind of rub it into his feathers and take him out. Then I wrap him in a towel no matter HOW much he fusses and hold him for about 30 minutes with a bright lamp, but not bright enough to hurt his eyes. Then I put him back in his cage and crack the door so the air can exchange. When the bathroom and the other rooms are equal in temprature, I put Cosmo back where he usually is.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jennifer
    Thanks

I'll be getting a misting bottle.. They hate water so much, but their getting a little dirty.

Name
    Chris
    Thanks

It's a funny thing today I randomly put a little bowl of water out and merlin just decided to take a bath. The budgies are smart little buggars; just leave the water out(i would make sure it doesn't go stale) maybe they will bathe one day.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

i had one who didnt like baths.
    Until i put a mirror at the bottom of the dish lol

And another who would only bathe in my glass of water

And another who would panic if you got him wet. But on your shoulder in the shower... happy as a duck lol

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Tracie
    Thanks

Tim-Bit wont shower...Im in the same boat. tried everything.....her white is starting to look dirty...I mist her a little but she doesn't like it.

I <3 Jellybeans Egg's Cracking... sKiBbLe's Avatar
    Name
    Kate
    Thanks

I got Jellybean to bathe by putting a glass lasagna pan on the table with a mirror underneath. I filled it halfway with lukewarm water and threw a few leaves of lettuce and chunks of broccoli in the water. Apparently he likes bathing when his snacks are right there. He also likes it when i pick out a lettuce leaf and let the water drip down, he runs under it to A) eat the lettuce and B) get water on his head. He fluffs up and gets more water on the table than on him though! =)

You three will always be in my heart.

Hatching
    Thanks

I have to mist my pair. They hate it.

Who needs T.V with an aviary? Egg's Cracking... LiLRebelWW's Avatar
    Name
    Gina
    Thanks

Budgies are so fussy sometimes...lol! Keep trying everything. In my aviary of 11 fussy budgies, it seems that each pne has a particular "bath preference." It's quite a long process because they are intent on having it their way.

On "bath" day...I am spraying 2 of them that like the spray (while the others run). Then I have to set out a tupperwear dish with water and lettuce for some of the others that prefer ummm..a bathtub setting. Out of the ones who bathe in the bowl, one will only bathe if the water is cold and the rest like it lukewarm or they won't get in. Then I have the others who wont go near the spray bottle or the water bowl... so I have to lay out plain leaves of romaine lettuce dripping with water that they roll in. One of my budgies won't bath at all. She somehow keeps herself neat though.

Keep trying! =)
    11 lil' budgies sitting in a tree....and RIP my little angels: Synth, Tre, Ion and Cinque.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I recently done my MBA and now days I want to do some online Microsoft certifications and I Found this online notes is a best helping source to get online accurate information which is more helpful for my preparation.
    Nigel

Thanks

My parakeet hated taking baths until I started putting lettuce for him. He loves to bathe in the wet lettuce.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Cynthia
    Thanks

I havent given my budgies a bath yet, as they get a bit jumpy when i put my hand in to give them some food, but i will try and wet lettuce in a bowl tonight, hopefully they will love it