where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: HELP ???

I'm A budgieaholic Tailfeather kathy5's Avatar
    Name
    kathy
    Thanks

HELP ???

I was wondering on how to go about getting a certain type of color parakeet. I called my local pet smart and they get rare parakeets but to get just what I was looking for would be luck of the draw. they don't know what kind they would be getting and they can't special order them either. I live on cape cod and I don't think that there are any breeder of parakeets down here but If there were I would not know how to find them. any help would be GREATLY appreciated
    kathy

Thanks

Re: HELP ???

The budgies sold in pet stores are rarely "rare".
    Pet stores tend to label anything beyond normal blue and normal green mutations as 'rare'.

Most of the time these 'rare' birds are mutts, so to speak; that is a poor mix of mutations that should not have been mixed.

This doesn't mean they aren't good pets, it means simply that they aren't suitable for breeding.
    Just as 'mutt' dogs shouldn't be bred, neither should 'mutt' birds.
    Keep in mind that good, responsible breeders breed to improve the health, temprement and markings/color of an animal (in that order).

Backyard breeders, people who breed because they think they have a 'right' to do so, or simply because they can breed with no regard to the above.

www.birdsnways.com/birds/breeders.htm to find a breeder near you.

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

That is what it is at my petsmart; anything not green/yelow or blue/grey gets put in "rare," including pied's, albino, absolutley anything .

Name
    Emi S.
    Thanks

awwww! I guess I have a mutt... but he wasn't labeled "rare"... he was just a much as everyone else. 20 bucks. Hes a recessive pied. hehe but yeah, I'm not breeding anytime soon hehe.

If you want a certain color you just gotta search around. hope you find your pal

Thanks

If you want certain mutations, your best bet is to find a good breeder.

My Yellowface Type II Greywing (more commonly known as Nibble) was originally from a breeder (local one), but ended up in a pet store after just one week of the people owning it.

They said they were "impossible to tame" (they bought a pair, one was already sold), and "too loud and messy".

The breeder, actually the ONLY budgie breeder in this city, wouldn't take them back..no surprise there, she runs something akin to a small mill.

I talked to her on the phone a couple times, and visited when I was looking for a baby budgie again...the conditions were pretty awful, crowded, and she had no pedigrees on the lines...most of her birds were no more 'rare' than those in pet stores; she just charged $10 instead of the $20 the pet stores charge.
    She did have a few nice mutations (harlequins, rainbows, and some violets), but I really didn't care for the conditions she kept her breeders in, so I didn't buy from her.
    She also sells tiny 12" square cages as "parakeet cages", and all of her birds are on a seed only diet...breeders get eggfood added in, but that's it.
    Heh, she also got angry when I dared to question her diet, the small cages, or the way the birds were being kept...big..fat..red..flag. A good breeder should be happy to answer your questions and concerns, they should not get irate over them.

She does the same with dogs...backyard breeding. She breeds because she can.

The little guy I got that originally came from her is pretty big compared to Bit & Byte (both pet store birds, likely related), so he's of slightly better quality, and he is well marked and of a less common mutation...but since he's not banded, and I can't get a pedigree (or another type II yellowface greywing!), he'll be a pet only.

Thanks

I just got a cinnamon grey-green spangled hen from a pet store... And I got a sky-blue opaline spangled cock a while ago, from a pet store also... What exactly do you define as rare?

Thanks

Generally to be 'rare' it needs to be a mutation that's not easily produced.

Tufted budgies are considered rare.
    As are: rainbows, blue series clearbodies, cresteds, white/grey/blue series dilute, German fallows, English fallows, mauves, violets, and clearflights.
    Harlequins can be tough to find too.

Those are all I can think of offhand.
    Even then, if the one you have is poorly marked, it's not a suitable breeding bird.

patriotparrot

the thing that bothers me about pet store budgies is the total lack of respect the workers have for them. They are seen as "just" budgies, nothing special like this CAG or this beautiful Sun Conure. At the store I frequent the poor little budgies are the friendliest ones, chirping and cocking they're little budgies heads. There was one tiel that raced up and stood for scritchies, but all the others stared at myslef and my sister calmly, but not nicely. Plus ther was a CAG kept in the SAME SIZE CAGE AS THE CONURE!!! At least the S. Macaw had the right size cage, even if he was totally deprived of attention. I'm done.
    Good luck finding a pretty. rare little angel

Thanks

I got a baby rainbow from a pet store a few weeks ago - he's the cutest budgie I've ever seen

Remove Ads