Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Albino Cockatiel - how to clean?

melba2136

Albino Cockatiel - how to clean?

Sorry if this is redundant. I just bought a beautiful Albino cockateil. I've had him about 4 days. Problem is, he's got poop stains on his head, feathers and around his rectum. I want to clean him, but don't know how. Please help. Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Albino Cockatiel - how to clean?

If the bird poops on his perch (then rubs his tail on the perch, causing the stain) you need to move the perches in such a way the bird can't poop onto a lower perch.

I think you can use baby shampoo to gently clean his tail. However since it's only been 4 days since you have the bird, it is likely that he's stressed and giving his a bath would likely hurt the trust established between the two of you. You can always try to give him a abth WITHOUT any soap at first and see if it comes out.

How did he get poop on his head? Was he with other birds at the pet store and they pooped on him or something?

One thing is sure though, the stains will go with the next molt, thats for sure.

melba2136

thank you, thank you...

yes, he was in a cage with other tiels...

I just want to bring out his white beauty and make sure there's no way he/she could get sick...

I'm new...I might as well share my tiel story...I was walking through the mall with my wife, a bird went cruising past my head and ran into a wall...obviously dazed, I brought him back to the store and immedietly fell in love with him ( I have a soft spot for animals) and decided to bring him home. I had no intention of buying a bird that day, but ended up with a wonderful pet.

This forum is excellent and has been key for me as a new tiel owner.

Thanks

Well congratulations!! That's wonderful. Always nice to meet another animal lover. The world can never have enough.

I'm not sure if you have one already, but if not, locate an avian vet in your area. That way, you can be ready if anything goes wrong, if you have questions, and for a checkup (if he hasn't gone already.)

Personally, I would probably wait until his next moult, just because a move is always stressful on our little friends, and often times a bath (esp. a first bath) can be even scarier.
    What did you name him??

Anna and TBird

melba2136

thanks for the advice, the temptation is there to want to play with him/her immedietly, but I know to be patient.

Fortunatly, it seems the pet store handled him often because he's already starting to come around and seems to be getting used to his surroundings....and me.

I named him Melba...short for Melbatoast...a reference to favorite movie of mine..."Dazed and Confused".

Thanks

LOL..that's so cute!! Well, I'm very glad to hear that he's coming around comfortably. : ) Patience is deffinitley the key...welcome to the board.

Anna and TBird

OOwlinn

My favorite, too!

Hi, I have an "albino" 'tiel, also, except it's a female. She's always backing into the mineral blocks and staining her bright white tail red or orange or grape. I've successfully "bathed" her by putting her tail under a running faucet and then putting a dab of baby shampoo on her tail and then rinsing well. I help a piece of millet in my hand she was sitting on while I did it, and I don't think she even noticed. I've used Q-tips on her head to spot clean where my other bird pooped her. They're gorgeous birds when they're clean, aren't they? Good luck with your bird. I adore mine and my heart just melts every time I look at her. She looks like a peace dove!
    Marci and Evian, the clean 'tiel