Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Ki uxi87

Chirping constantly! What should I do?

My cockatiel, Ollie, has been chirping almost constantly for the last week or so. Not only is it extremely annoying, but I'm wondering if something is wrong with him. Anyone have any idea how I could get him to stop chirping like this, or does anyone think there is something wrong with him?

BudgieFriend

Re: Chirping constantly! What should I do?

chriping is normal. They do it naturally.

Ki uxi87

*sigh* I'm not stupid. I've had my bird for a couple years now, and I KNOW they chirp. But it hasn't been this bad before. I doubt its completely normal for him to be chirping like crazy, very loudly all of a sudden, for no apparent reason.

Thanks

Has something changed in his life at all?? Was he getting more/less attention that usual, new toys, new people etc? It might just be that he saw some wild birds out of the window? Usually if something is wrong tiels are more quiet Try to figure out what he's chirping about (see if you can find what stops him chirping - attention, treats etc), provide that when he's quiet, so he knows it's not chirping that gets him what he wants

Thanks

Also, almost forgot, they chirp like crasy all day long if they are trying to attract a mate - could he have gone into "breeding mode"?

Ki uxi87

Well, there have been no new toys or people, but we did recently switch his food. There aren't many birds outside for him to chirp at, since its almost winter, but I thought maybe he was in breeding mode as well. Its a relief to know nothing is wrong with him though, I suppose I'll just wait a while and see if this stops. Thanks for your help!

*Poetry Comes From The Soul* Maturing... Budgieobsession's Avatar
    Thanks

no offense but ki uxi87 u were kinda rude to budgiefriend she/ he was only trying to help. but if it doesnt bother her/him then whatever

Ki uxi87

I'm not here to argue, I only had a question about my cockatiel.

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re:

Feel free to ask any questions you have

Welcome to the baord!

Mooshy Moo

Re: Re:

My Baby just discovered whistling, but only when we're not in sight (practicing), but he/she will do it from morning till night, only stopping to eat.

Its only annoying when I'm trying to sleep in and Baby gets my two parrots riled up and chattering away, while I'm trying to get some shut-eye.

To be quite honest, I would rather have a vocal bird than a quiet one.

Perhaps your bird is just happy?

Mooshy

loofahnz

My SMukke never shuts up He goes on and on and on - he says a lot of words now - he said "up" for the first time today

I love having him noisy and have learnt to not try to have afternoon sleeps when he is awake

Name
    Misty
    Thanks

Wow I wish my male tiel was like yours, loofah...mine won't say anything

peaceb2usall

I don't think you were rude .......

I don't think you were rude at all. I mean I guess people just think everyone is a beginner and know absolutely nothing. Um like did you know that birds chirp and well the sun sets in the west?. Anyhow my tiel usually chirps like a freak when he's outta food ie hungry ( like you couldn't guess), thirsty or that people have left the room and she's all alone. She chirps like freakin nobodys' business.. I would call it shouting more than anything else. in

Thanks

Re: I don't think you were rude .......

Necroangel's site has really good advice about behaviour problems like screaming, I hope it helps :/
    www.budgies-n-tiels.com

punkinpatch

chirping

hi, i'm very new here but i just wanted to say that my bird is very vocal also. i find he does it more when he wants attention; to be petted or let out of his cage. in that case, he paces back and forth on his perch and whistles up a storm. he sees me coming toward the cage and he spreads his wings a little with excitement!

Berdboy

Birds chirp for all kinda reasons and with all different types of chirps.

Mine has been chirping alot since I have been trying to force her on pellets. She only gets seed in the morning and at night. Pellets and veggies through out the day unless im training her then I give seed as a reward.

She will nibble at the pellets but not tear into them as she would a bowl full of seed. Like she is only eating them to survive. She will also sit there and do single CHIRPS constantly. Like loud peeps once every 60 seconds. She will stop when she gets her seed. 2

If I had to guess from what you said I'd say its the food change. She is probably hungry and chirping for some of her old stuff.

Does she eat the new diet with a healthy appitite or does she nibble at?