Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Question about Kaytee Rainbow Exact pellets.

sonnygir3

Question about Kaytee Rainbow Exact pellets.

Hi everyone I'm new & I have a question about the pellets I mentioned in the poll question. In Sept. I couldn't find the pellets I usually feed my 2 1/2 year old cockatiel hen which were Hartz pellets. So I bought the Kaytee pellets & she loved them! However in November she started getting sick, having watery droppings & she had sore feet. I bought a vitamin supplement called Guardian Angel & it helped her some but she still wasn't well. I finally found the pellets now known as LM pellets made by Hartz. After she ate them for a few weeks she was her old self! I was amazed, has anyone had any bad experiences with Kaytee pellets? I also have started feeding her LM Vita Vittles Gold which she was eating when I purchased her 2 years ago. Thanks for any responses!

Thanks

Re: Question about Kaytee Rainbow Exact pellets.

All kaytee products are garbage.

Not only do they ALL contain ethoxyquin, but their rainbow exact pellets contain tons of artificial coloring, I believe they contain BHA or BHT(also very dangerous), many unnecessary chemicals, and are high in sugar which is not only bad for the health but can cause your bird to become a picky eater.

Kaytee also runs bird mills(http://www.companionparrot.com/articles/kaytee.html). I don't use any of their products, treats, supplies, or anything because of the above.

Hartz products really aren't all that much better quality wise.

For pellets I'd recommend ZuPreem Natural, Hagen Tropician(both are fairly common in stores), or if you don't mind ordering online, Harrison's(get it from http://nybird.com, it's cheaper there) or Foundation Formula(http://www.organicbirdfood.com).

Your friendly admin! Tailfeather Community Administrator Dan's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Thank you for the information, necroangel, I'll go over to nybird and order some. I used to give my tiels some Hartz as well.

sonnygir3

I'm almost afraid to change Angel's diet again so soon. I don't give her as many of the Hartz pellets because I read an article in Bird Talk that said too many pellets could cause kidney damage. I feed my tiel Vita Vittles Gold, mix it with 8 in 1 seed & as a treat millett & 8 in 1 Grains & Greens. I also feed her dandelion greens when they are in season, brocolli, celery tops, & green leaf lettuce. She's a picky eater about people food unfortunately.

Thanks

A lot of cases of gout and certain kidney problems are seen most commonly in birds on a primarily pelleted diet.

Rommel had problems like that(symptoms of gout); I cut pellets out of their diet completely for awhile while he stabilized, and they're now back in as about 10% of the total diet.

pianogirl14

Okaaay...I use them for Mango. I think they're fine! That's the only brand of pellets that the pet store where I live sells. The rest are really bad stores and over priced. :-/
    I've looked in the ingredients and they don't list any of the red #this blue #this, etc.
    Could someone else comment what they think? I can't help but think there's more than one perfect brand out there.

Kristin

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

are you talking about kaytee? because if you are, look at the ingredients... it'll have ethoxyquin listed... take a look at the link necroangel gave for info on it... it's been banned in human food, because it's so bad, why would we want to feed it to our birds!!!?!
    if you're meaning another brand... which brand do you mean?

FD

pianogirl14

Hey. Yeah, I was talking about Kaytee. I looked at the ingredients, but that preservative isn't in there. I buy the brown pellets, not the colored ones. I looked on a bag of the colored kind, and it had that ingredient.
    So what else isn't good about the Kaytee pellets? Anything?

Kristin

Thanks

The synthetic vitamins (which are not the same, and not as useful as naturally occuring ones), the artificial flavorings and colorings (can cause allergies, cancers, kidney and liver problems), the added sugar if there is any, and the company itself.

Kaytee Organic doesn't contain ethoxyquin, but it's still not the best choice out there.

Kaytee owns and operates bird mills.
    Ever heard of puppy mills? It's the same thing.
    HTML Comments not allowedwww.companionparrot.com/a...aytee.htmlHTML Comments not allowed

Geaux Tigers!!! Tailfeather NeapolitanSixth's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

My vet also recommended Harrison's, any one know about this?

-Nikki

Thanks

Harrison's is one of the few I'd actually recommend using.

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

I use it- my bird LOVES them. He converted VERY quickly, a week-others say that is a long time when trying Harrisons! He was an established seed junkie, but he absolutley loved Harrisons. I would highly reccomend trying them!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Corina
    Thanks

I agree completely with FJ - my bird will NOT try anything else yet. She is an absolute seed junkie - until 2 days ago, that is. I called Harrison's a few days ago for their free sample. That's because I bought about 2-3 different kinds of pellets before, after I had checked for ehoxyquin and such, and I am stuck with them, since she will not touch them. Until the little bag from Harrison's arrived, that is. I put some in Perry's food, and she eats them like there's no tomorrow! I am so amazed, and happy at the same time - I was sure I wasn't going to see her eating anything else but seeds! I guess it's all about baby steps...