Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Which cage to buy and general cockatiel questions?

Izzy

Which cage to buy and general cockatiel questions?

Hello! I guess I will just quickly introduce myself. My name is Molly, I am 15 years old, and I might be getting 1 or 2 cockatiels in the near future! These will be my first birds. I also have a dog named Wally who is a beagle/basset/spaniel mix and I used to have three rats, who recently passed away. They were Patches, Bailey and Izzy.

Anyways, on to my care questions.

I have read that cockatiels are very hard to convert to new foods like pellets and fresh foods. I want to get a pair of tame birds from the humane society, but I don't know what they are used to eating. Will it be really hard to convert them to pellets, or is it possible with a little work?

I have two choices for birds. I will either be getting a pair of cockatiels from the shelter who are tame, or a single bird from a breeder. Is there one choice that is better for first time owners, or is it my choice?

Next, my cage question. I have a few choices for cages, all from martinscages.com, though I am open to other suggestions. My choices are all PVC coated.

18x30x22
    $55

24x24x28
    $65

24x36x20
    $70

28x48x48
    $190

Those are the choice that I have. The one really big one(last one)is alot more expensive then the other ones, but then again it is SO big, that it might be worth it. However, if I got that cage, I would have less money for toys right away, because I only have $420 and I have to also pay for the bird, vet care, food and toys. I don't know. Also, feel free to give me other cage ideas, or how to build my own cage. That would all be appreciated. Also, don't worry, I do have more money for emergencys(close to $2,000 saved up plus my parents would help), but the initial expenses can't really be more then $420 as thats what I have not in my savings account.

Next, does anyone have pictures of bird tree's that they have made? I am planning on cutting down a branch from a bird-safe tree and placing in into a pot, and then hanging toys and ladders off the tree to make a fun little play area for while I do homework and stuff.

Lastly, does anyone know of a breeder in Minneosta? So far I have e-mailed about 6, and only got one reply in about 2 weeks. However, this breeder sounds really good, so finding another one isn't very important.

Thanks alot!
    ~Molly

kylie99

:)

I got my first tiel about a week ago. I think you would be best off to just get one teil for now, or else they will bond together and not to you. My tiel was $129, hand rasied, definatly get hand raised, they are so friendly once you get them home!! I got the Hagen cockatiel starter kit, it's a pretty good cage but if I was to buy another one I would get one with all the bars horizonatly because if you get a baby (which you should if you want to teach it to talk, it's easier) it will have alot easier time climbing!! I bought pellets from the pet store and my tiel doesn't really eat them, but every tiel is different and if you could get your tiel to eat them thats awesome! -Kylie

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re: :)

I would definetley reccommend a tiel from a breeder, ESPECIALLY as the first bird.

Birds from rescues can have problems, as well as be untame (very hard to tame if you have 2). They may have had bad diet int he past, you don't know if they have had health problems (VERY expensive if they relapse), etc.
    I fully advocate taking in birds from shelters, but would NOT recomend it for a first-time bird owner, especially as you have never worked with birds before .

From a breeder, especially if it was hand raised, it will be very attached to people, and want to interact with you. No taming neccessary! It will be VERY easy to work with the diet when they are young, and not yet set in their ways. A young tiel will have the oppertunity for a long life, becuase you will always have controlled his diet, as well as knowing his exact age. You can also have the fun of trying to sex him before he moults .

Diet
    Good, veggies pellets and seeds is a good, varied diet . With a young bird, they are VERY curious about new things, and it is not too hard to get them to try new foods. What is the breeder feeding him? I would assume he weans all his babies onto veggies as well as pellets or seeds since you think he is a good breeder, so you may not even have to 'convert' him! I reccomend Harrison's pellets best, and my bird took to them VERY quickly. Check with the avain vets in your area to see what different brands they carry.

When you buy any bird food/pellets/treats, be sure it does not contain ethyoxyn. It will be listed in the ingredients. ALL Kaytee contains ethyoxn, huge amounts of sugar, preservatives, and is basically junk.

Biggest cage you can afford, go for something longer rather than something taller. 20x20x20 is the VERY minimum for a tiel.

crazy4birds

Re: Which cage to buy and general cockatiel questions?

I think you should get just the one bird. I know it's tempting to get the one at the shelter, but it might be better if you were to start out with one until you have more expeirince. That's what I'm doing. I got my little guy from a breeder about 2 or 3 weeks ago(it's late and I can't remember). He's the sweetest little thing! Also, if you get a baby, they are a lot easier to transition to pellets. I'm in the middle of doing that with my little guy and he loves them! He was weaned onto seeds, but since he hadn't been weaned all that long, he accepted them. He recently decided to start eating the veggies I put in for him, which are pretty yummy! I think that you should get either he $65 or the $70 one. The cage I have is about the size of the $65 one and it suits him just fine. He's got his natural branch perches and toys. Don't get mirrors for toys, they can get pretty aggressive! But, other than that, it shouldn't be too hard! I have got my Poncho drinking out of a waterbottle too. I had it in his cage from day one, and he always was interested in the metal, well on day he figured out that good suff came out of the hole on the end and now he won't touch is water dish! Oh! And for the breeders. I think oou should go with the one that emailed you back. That's what I did, I emailed at least 6 or 7 breeders, only about 3 of them emailed me back,and only one of those 3 was nice. I'm really glad I stuck with her, because I got the sweetest litte bird. Also, I didn't pick him, he picked me. That was the other thing that I liked. She let the 3 out of the cage that she had from the alreay weaned ones, and he got his first flight, and she couldn't catch him. lol....he finally got tired and landed on my waist for a break! I really think it's the best way until you get to know about cockatiels! Sorry this is so long. I hope you and th birdie have a great time!!
    ~Heather&Poncho~

Another birdy Luver at heart Brand New Egg spottsmom's Avatar
    Name
    April
    Thanks

Hello
    I am happy to hear about your new bird experiance. I am worried though as feather and the other poster said The birds at the shelter since you say there are two would no doubt be bonded if they came togetehr and as said they may have a past that could not easily be handled by a new bird owner. This is not always true for rescues as it is for shelters
    I sun a rescue and we do not adopt our problem birds or birds with historys out We do adopt out those who have come to us heappy and healthy and the owner wants that or pks it However many of the birds with backgrounds turn in to great birds it is a hard job and not one for anyone new to birds
    There is a list of breeders on www.birdsnways.com under each state you may want to check there for one in your area.
    I wish you all the luck and remember to get him a nic big cage and toys to play with although if starting with a baby oa few toys to start are fine not a whole lot.Also remember to not show loads of attention on the start and rthen not show the same later try to limit it or he will want a lot al lthe time and this can make a bird go into the screaming thing.
    If you need any help I have tons of links for reading on my site to help new owners
    Good Luck
    April

We Are Loved Bird Rescue
    and Pet Services
    Please visit me at
    www.toolady.com/www/resou...index.html
    When shopping shop with us and help support our Rescue Organization
    www.iGive.com/html/refer....seid=19304
    THANKS From all of us at We Are Loved Bird Rescue

car00000

my thoughts

i got 2 free biords from a resue...not tame even tho i was told they were they fought like hell when you tried to clean the cage,drew blood when ya tried to put new water in......i didnt like them...got my 1st breeeder bird and im in love with him already....such a total difference that yuo can not imagine.........the tame breeder birds is like my best pal after 3 hours......wont let me out of his sight.
    get the breeder bird....... and then when you 35 if ya feed and treat him well.....yuo got a life long pal.
    carl

Another birdy Luver at heart Brand New Egg spottsmom's Avatar
    Name
    April
    Thanks

Re: my thoughts

Hi Carl
    I agree most rescues are as you so nicely put it mean as hell as most have been through just that Hell
    I have been called to pick up birds that people have left in the closet and moved out not sure how long they were there but a good while by the looks of the cage and them of couse they bite like no tomorrow but after about 4 to 5 months they are sweet as sugar Rescue birds are a lot of work they most alwasy have baggage they bring from any rpesvious owners they have had and they need a great deal of work
    as far as breeder birds I believe you mean a breeders bird as in baby or hand fed orhand tame as most birds used for breeding are just that and really don't care about their human caretakers as they do with the bonded mate. I say most becasue soem birds that people use as breeders can be still tame just that a lot of times if you go to a breeder theywill have pet quality and breeder quality just a helpful tip
    I would also like to add most reputabel rescues DO not adopt out their birds for free there is usually an adoption fee and most reputable rescues would NEVER adopt out a bird with issues to the point you describe they work with the birds and if they can be rehabilitated then fine but if not they stay where they are not go to new homes here we never adopt out any bird who has a bad padt or comes in witha lot of issues(baggage)
    so i think you mean you get them from some one who rescued them not a Rescue there is a difference
    April
    We Are Loved Bird Rescue
    and Pet Services
    Please visit me at
    www.toolady.com/www/resou...index.html
    When shopping shop with us and help support our Rescue Organization
    www.iGive.com/html/refer....seid=19304
    THANKS From all of us at We Are Loved Bird Rescue

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

well everyone has helped heaps already!
    yes sometimes it can be very hard to convert tiels to new food, BUT it IS possible, and entierly depends on the bird! some birds, even the old guys, actualy take to change really well, and others, even the babies, will take alot of persistance. but either way it is possible!
    i think it's entierly up to you as to what you get! you said the pair from the shelter are tame, (make sure though!) so that's not a problem... but they will be more bonded with each other. if you got one from a breeder, make it a young handfed tiel, it would be more rewarding. if you are not going to be able to spend 2+ hours a day with a tiel, get the pair for company to each other.
    just wanted to suggest NOT to get the smallest cage; it's on the verge of being too small...... though i'm not sure which measurments are width, height and depth...?
    if you can, do go for the bigest one, it's much much nicer! and also if you get the pair you need a bigger cage... the minimum for a single tiel is 18X18X20, but that's an absolute minimum and the til would have to speand alot of time out. minimum for a pair would be 24X24X24, but again only if they had ALOT of time out... so i'd say the $70 or the biggest one.
    the bird tree sounds neat. you can buy playstands, or make them. which are basicly the same idea. check out the tail feathers reviews, i'm sure there's some play stands in there! and some old threads on toys have suggestions for making them and pictures...
    check out the breeder. ask to see the birds. ask what they're being fed and their age and what handling they get. ask all questions you can think of. a good breeder will answer you and let you see the birds and parents and other birds. if they duck around a question or aviod letting you see something, ask why. if they get defensive, likely there's something they're trying to hide, and leave them be. don't get a tiel from a bad breeder just coz there's no other resort, have faith and keep looking!
    good luck! and tell us how it turns out...?

FD