Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Stacy
    Thanks

Puffing Cockatiel

Hey all! I'm new to the board. My name is Stacy and my tiel's name is Boomer. He is a 7 month old normal grey cockatiel. I loved reading the posts before I registered. Everyone here has helped Boomer and I so much. Boomer has ALMOST quit biting me now. This morning he was a little cranky; but I think that's because he is molting. Anyway, question is, what does it mean when Boomer puffs up his feathers on his chest and around his face. Sometimes when he does this you can't hardly see his beak. Any response to this post would be most helpful. Thanks in advance, Stacy.

teriberry9

puffing

hey! when does he do that? mine does that during his grooming. I think he's just getting all the feathers so their not stuck together so its easier to groom but, thats just my guess.. my tiel's only 13 weeks old now, so i dunno if it has to do with moulting. Anyways, welcome to the board :P im actually pretty new too.. hehe hope u stay!

3 TeRi & LoCosmile

casey41090

Puffy

I am not an expert but I read in a book that if they puff up and just sit there, then that could be sick. But, sometimes by bird puffs up to but just for like 3 secends.
    Casey & Edytheeek

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re: Puffy

puffing up is a bit like sighing. It relieves any tention, stretens out the feathers, get 'new' air pockets for warmth...
    If you bird STAYS puffed for long amounts of thime, then it is a sign of sickness.
    I don't know what doing *just* the face feathers means, but my budgies have always done it, too, and they are not sick or anything .
    He may be trying to get them to lay flat, which is hard witht he pins coming in!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Stacy
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for you responses.When he puffs up he just sits there after taking a deep breath from puffing. I think you all are right that he is sighing and probably trying to tell me that he is bored.

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

remember to change the toys ecery month or so!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Stacy
    Thanks

I'm not sure what kind of toys to get him. He don't really play a whole lot. When he's in his cage he just sits and eats and poops. When I take him out, he is more active and fun to be with. I feel like I'm doing really good. I've had him about a month and he goes on my finger with the up command without biting me MOST of the time. (giggle) He is a pet store bird, by the way. I am thinking of either making or buying him a gym to play on when he is out of the cage. I'm not sure which yet.