Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: advice on leaving tiel home in the evening

beaklyboy65

advice on leaving tiel home in the evening

hi everyone,
    i need advice on what may seem like a simple question. what's the best advice on lighting when leaving my tiel alone (very dependent tiel at that) at night? if and when i go out, it's normally after my tiel is in bed. on the weekdays i'm out 7am-5:30 pm and home from 5:30- 8:30 pm (his bedtime). i'll run errands after 8:30 pm if need be. on the weekends i'm in and out but am always here to turn on the lights when it gets dark. he is usually more nervous at night due to the shadows the lighting creates as well as car lights that flash (we live in a pretty busy part of the city).

the situation is that i need to be out from 5:30 pm-10 pm this weekend and i was hoping i could get some feedback on the following: should i leave my curtains open and let the natural light pour in until it turns dark (it gets dark by 7 pm here) and hope he eventually goes to sleep when it turns completely dark outside, or should i leave the lamp on before i leave?

thanks for any advice in advance!

beaklyboy65

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Re: advice on leaving tiel home in the evening

Hi Beaky,

I have done both in the past. Depending on the bird. A low lamp light would be suggested. You said that car lights shine in your window that frighten him? Or is it only the shadow from the lights when your curtains are drawn. Would he get frighten if you leave your curtins open and the car lights shine directly through? I would think that the light from the car head lights would bother him, but maybe not?

beaklyboy65

thanks for the reply, Pootspete--
    actually, my tiel gets startled when the car lights shine through the curtains AND when shadows bounce of the walls/curtains when the lights are on. yes, he is a bit of a scardy cat. i still can't decide what to do. i think i'll leave the curtains a wee bit open only and not turn on a light at all...hmmmm...??

beaklyboy65

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Beakly, keep us posted with the progress.
    ping

Thanks

I cover Homer at night with a sheet. Whenever I plan to be gone in the evening I will cover him half way so that he can only look out the front of his cage. That way he can "hide" in the back of his cage if he needs to. It seems to work for us.

faithfulrose

I agree with housemouse, that is what I do with ozzy too. If I am going to be gone I leave him half covered so he can hide but I leave a little light on so he can still see. Then I reassure him when I get home no matter what time it is that I am there. Ozzy won't go to sleep until I talk to him and let him know I am ok. I spend so much time with him that I think he worries when I am gone. But I leave the light on and then let him sleep a little later in the morning. He gets totally covered at night so it is easy to regulate his sleep time..

Hope this helps.

Faith and Ozzy