Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thanks

Cool my bugdies still wont lt me pet them!!

i had my two bugdies since last september (my birthday) and we love them alot. there even starting to eat carrots and lettice and they love broccolli, they jump on my finger,sit on anyones shoulder and chirp, but they still will not allow anyone to pet them, in fact they hate being petted. I cant figure out why the girl will actually just try to bite if you try to pet her and the boy will just move away or jump off even though he cant fly just to get away. why are they doing this they seem so confident with us when they are out of the cage????

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re: my bugdies still wont lt me pet them!!

wow, they sound like wonderful birds, and you weem to have everything perfect for them!!!

Some birds just don't like to be touched. Out of my three budgies, one will SOMETIMES let you pet him, but the other two do NOT like it- one even alarm calls if you try to! Petting is a very individual thing with the smaller birds, yours may simply not be predisposed to enjoying petting. All you can do is keep trying, or accept them as birds who don't want that type of interaction.
    one thing *some* will let you do is rub your nose on their head (sounds weird, yes), but for some reason, some don't mind that. Don't get bit, though!

Thanks

thats a good idea, the girl will sometimes let me nuzzle her chest but not for long, shell start to try to bite my nose alittle,not hard though which is a good thing cause it means she cares. But anther thing that concerns me is that they dont really seem to have personalties i mean ive read so much on all the other budgies and how cute they are and all the cute things they do, but mine dont really do anything like that. They screach at each other alot and talk back a forth, but they dont really play with their toys. I had bought them a plastic swing before and they did like it and used it sometimes but it broke and i had to get a new one and they hate it!. they just will not got on it because its supports on the sides ar metal and they cant climb up the sides anymore like with the old one. the girl is kinda mean and the boy is nice but dumb. Im currently trying to introduce them to a bird bath with just some warm water in there. They kind of just sit in the edges and peck at the water. i think they are starting to get it but im sure. Im alittle sad though cause my birds never do anything cute really. they do kiss each other though....

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

It sounds like you might need to take them out separately and play with them. Mine do more cute things when they are out of there cages. Bailey lets us touch his tail when he didn't for about 6 months. Skyler doesn't want to be petted so we don't. Some birds cuddle some don't. I think you have to much of a bonding going on with your male and female and they give each other the attention instead of you.