where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Cage mates for a Tiel?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jason
    Thanks

Cage mates for a Tiel?

Hello again everyone. I've been toying with the idea of getting a second tiel for a while now, but I've been intrigued by posts about people housing tiels with other birds, notably budgies.

I guess my question is, does anyone keep one or more tiels in the same cage as another type of parrot, budgies aside? And, obviously, how has it worked out?

-Jason

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re: Cage mates for a Tiel?

I would NOT keep any other species with 'tiels. It can work in a large aviary, but in anything that is closer quarters, it's asking for a disaster. Both birds are fairly territorial, and budgies have been known to kill 'tiels. The majority of the time, they will tolerate each other at best, and be constantly fighting, possibly injuring each other at worst. I don't mean to disappoint you, but it really is in the birds best interest to be housed species-specific.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

ditto what featherjinxer said.

think of it this way: wouldn't you be mad if someone forced a roomate on you that you don't even know & you had no say in the matter?

while it is possible to house birds together, you must let them decide & tell you if they want that. you will need to get another cage &setup for the new addition. start by introducing them in a neutral place- one that neither can claim as their territory. watch closely. there will most likely be waryness, hissing, other signs of aggression on the part of at least one of the birds. they are figuring out the (literal) pecking order.

just stand by & make sure no one gets hurt. tell them & show them what you expect from each of them. make sure to give equal attention, but favor your first bird in minor ways: go to its cage first when greeting, feeding, etc.

if your birds get along famously, you may be able to house them together. but again, birds that play together may not want to live together. you will need to carefully observe them in the same quarters before leaving them to go to work or sleep.

i wouldn't want some of my friends as my roomate either!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jason
    Thanks

Thanks for the responses.

This wasn't something I was actively planning to do, so there's no disappointment associated with the knowledge it's not a good idea. I just thought, from some of the things I've read, that I was missing something and people were mingling their parrots as a matter of routine. Basically, were there housing possibilities out there I was not aware of, I wanted to know more about them.

So, it's back to the idea of a second tiel. Thanks again.

-Jason

Remove Ads