Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Renee
    Thanks

Question Do they hate each other?

Hello everyone...I just got 2 new budgies 2 weeks ago. I have been reading this site and doing all I can to get them to get used to me but they still flutter to the top of their cage when I put my hand in. They'll eat m.spray out of my hand but even if I move my hand a little they freak out....ARG..so frustrating . Anyway, just recently in the past 2 or 3 days, my 2 budgies (one male one female I think) have been horrible to each other. They peck at each other and the male defends his space by pacing back and forth on one of the perches so the female can't hop on. They YELL at each other too! Sometimes they calm down and sit with each other but they used to be friendly to one another all the time. Why the sudden change? Will they ever love each other again? In addition, I know you're supposed to take them out, but I can't take them out until they come near me. Are they frustrated because they haven't been able to come out? Please help.
    Last edited by cute_shark; 06-30-2004 at 09:04 AM.

Hatching
    Thanks

HumMMmmm do they. . . . . . . . . .

Hey whats happening.??.
    About yuor budgies.... Well when i got my budgie before it was first a male and then like 3 weeks later i got a New budgies a female.!!. They were both acting like your couple. Until they get to know one another. I dont think that they hate one another. It happens once in a while. like when U hit out big or small brothers and sisters and call them names and then we run back to them asking them to do us a fave.. They wont kill one another they will act like this for a while until they come close.... they might also be far apart just for a moment. And about them nothing making u touch them I have no clue my birds wont even make me touch Them

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

Re: Do they hate each other?

I would suggest getting another cafe so they each have one. Put them side by side so they can see each other and talk. Then leave the cage doors open and let them come out and see each other. One day they will want to be in the same cages. The problem is you have two birds to tame or they will go every where and you will have a hard time getting them back to the cages.

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

flappeflewandfell, I digress. I have two budgies that DO NOT get along. When they were about a year, one hurt the other- he got stitches. If I hadn't been home to separate them, I'm sure one would have killed the other.

cute_shark: Usually two birds will eventually get along, but it takes time. If they were fine together in the store, then I would assume now that they are their own flock, and are vying for top bird- they are fighting over dominance. This they should work out fine on their own. As with any cage housing multiple birds, keep two food and two waters are opposite sides, it's not unheard of for one to "guard" the food/water from the other in this fight, and starve it.

For taming, if you have two cages, I would separate them until they are tame. If one panics, the other will. It is hardest to tame two birds at once for that reason. If you have some way to seperate them, and take one in another room- like the bedroom in the bathtub, and give it treats while you work with it, that may help immensely in taming.

Name
    Emi S.
    Thanks

Sometimes separating birds for their young years and letting them get to know eachother outside of the cage first works. I had my two in separate cages for a year after I got Ollie, and let them get to know eachother outside of their cages. Then, I gradually let them stay in the same cage during the day, and eventually at night.

Now they're in a cage and getting along . However, as fj points out, not all birds can get along, just like not all people can get along. It's important to work at it slowly to prevent one or both of your birds injury.
    From Emi