Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

is this how it starts?

muttonchop, who is a tiel no older than 7 months (but more like 6, i think) has started furiously pacing around whistling tons of random whistles nonstop for 2-3 minutes at a time. it's like he's "talking" to himself in a determined crazy way, but with whistles.

"woo-oo. woo. woo-woo" over and over!

all the whistles are variations of the wolf whistle, the one we have been working on since i got him at the end of april.

so i think we have a breakthrough! funnily enough, he prefers to walk away from me (so he can be "alone") to practice. and he esp loves to pace windowsills and do this.

does it start this way? i've been talking to him all the time & hoping he'll talk soon, too...

Name
    Christy
    Thanks

Re: is this how it starts?

LOL...that is how mine are. They whistled for the longest time and what I have done is acknowledge their whistling. Like when I am in the kitchen cleaning or whatever and they start whistling I will whistle back. After awhile I find them repeating what I have whistled!
    ~Christy

"As the rain falls on the just and the unjust alike, let your heart be untroubled by judgments and let your kindness rain down on all."-Shakyamuni Buddha

My Tiels

My Budgies

Name
    Emi S.
    Thanks

That's what my budgie Ollie does too... she'll spend her days figuring out little variations to the little whistle my dad taught her. She's getting real good at it too!
    From Emi

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

Hehehe, that's so cute!!! Ebo did the same thing when we just got him. Even now, if he's learning something new, he'll "practice" it in his cage all the time when he thinks I'm not listening, then he'll start saying it in front of me when he gets it good enough.

If you have the means to post audio files of Muttonchop singing, I'd love to hear!

Thanks

I just love the "practice" whistling they do. Homer does his really quiet like he's whispering. Just hilarious.

Name
    dani
    Thanks

thanks, guys!

it's so cute, he looks so determined & serious. i wish i had a cam-corder! i'll be borowing a digital camera next week (finally! pix of dando & uno!), & i think it has 3 minute video capability..

or maybe i'll see if i can record his whistles (my wife has a mini disc recorder, & we can eventually transfer the files to MP3...

Name
    Lindsey
    Thanks

My 12 year old cockatiel LOVES to whistle. All you have to do to get him started is to move your finger like a conductor for an orchestra. Also if you whistle while he is whistling he gets mad and will squawk until you stop. lol

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Neo practices too when he thinks I'm not listening. Usually he'll start out doing a variation of the whistle in his lil "parrot chatter" .. not actually whistling the tune but chattering it instead while he's preening or eating or chewing on something in his cage. Then, when I start to pay attention to him.. he'll try whistling it but reverts back to the wolf whistle when he can't quite get it right. LOL!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

ThisBbyAyu Hatching
    Name
    Ashley Kun
    Thanks

Lol my tiel tries to mimic the kissing sound so whenever we make a *kiss kiss* sound to him, he opens and closes his mouth and tries to make the sound but nothing comes out lol its so funny to watch!!

Name
    dani
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBbyAyu
    Lol my tiel tries to mimic the kissing sound so whenever we make a *kiss kiss* sound to him, he opens and closes his mouth and tries to make the sound but nothing comes out lol its so funny to watch!!
    actually, that's funny- coby the conure does that. you have to kiss about 3-4 times first making the noise, then she starts doing it each time after that.

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Apache does that too! Only.. she's taken it a step futher and actually tries to "kiss" you on the lips while you're kissing her! I felt something "odd" the other day and pulled away while giving her beaky-kisses. Her mouth was open and she made this funny "chuck chuck" sound. She LICKED my lip! LOL!! My sister has been paying attention and says Apache see's the lips "pucker" and knows she's going to be kissed. She'll put her beak to my lips and opens her beak as if she's trying to pucker up too. She adores it when I make the loud kissy sounds while I'm kissing her.. and she's begun making that "chuck chuck" sound when I kiss her so I think it's her birdy version of a kiss on the lips.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    dani
    Thanks

too cute!

muttonchop has decided to french kiss my ear lately... lol!