Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owls!

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

Owls!

http://tomsowls.com/index.htm

Anyone else seen this ad? Part of me thinks this is cool, part of me wonders. He seems to over simplify keeping owls. He even says that they're easy to keep as pets. He gives very little information about the care these birds must need. It all seems over simplified. What do you guys think? I think birds of prey are really cool, but I wonder about the welfare of the animals, as it almost seems that this breeder is just in it for a buck.
    You say it best, when you say nothing at all.

To find out what's happening with my pionus Buddy, visit this thread here.

Please visit my Photo.net profile

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re: Owls!

Don't you have to have a license?

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

yeah, he makes that VERY VERY simplified... totally agree with you, tielguy

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

I've been doing some reading and I think this guy really is out for the cash.

Firstly, do you wonder why he is using the The Eurasian Eagle Owl rather than a bird native to North America? Well here's why.

Under the migratory bird treaty act, no indigenous bird, nor any part of those birds (feathers, mounts) can be held in captivity for any reason, unless provided an exception by the USFWS permit process.
    Everything I've found states that owls make terrible pets, have huge live food requirements and need massive aviaries, larger than the aviary he states they need.

This guy seems to be using a loophole in the legal system to profit off of these birds. Probably to sell to families with too much money and no knowledge of these creatures.

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

There is something very very wrong with that. Who would even entertain having a "pet" like that. "yes.. I'd like to schedule an avian appt. for my bird." "What kind of bird do you have?" "An owl" "Did you say an OWL?"....

IF that guy is legal... he's operating on the very fringes, I'm sure, but KEEPING the animal would, no doubt, be illegal in most states.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

I think he's legal only because that type of owl isn't found in North America.

I've been reading about that type of owl and it's capable of killing cats, dogs, and fawns. Can you imagine the level of skill it would require to be able to handle a bird like that?

...Over the rainbow Growing... Kalvin's Avatar
    Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

I know a 15 year old that has a "pet" eagle owl, it's the sweetest thing and very gentle. She had help to train it to the fist so she can fly it from an experienced handler. She has it in an aviary in the house and it spends most of it's time with her around the house just ignoring their other pets. As long as they're wll fed, they have no reason to waste the energy having to kill something.

Owls are by no means a simple bird to keep, but with guidance from an experienced handler it's made a little easier. They require such dedication and so much time spent spent with them.
    Last edited by Kalvin; 08-09-2004 at 03:34 AM.

Moulting
    Thanks

ive had a barn owl before

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

Firstly, I don't know enough about falconry for me to say that I'm for or against it. Secondly, I'm sure that there's plenty of people out there capable of keeping an owl as a pet, but I'm sure they're in the vast minority. Just like I'm sure there's plenty of people capable of keeping a tiger or a mountain lion as a pet.

I've seen the North American version of this particular owl, and they are huge. I find it hard to believe they could thrive in an 8 foot square aviary. He gives little or no information about the behavior one can expect out of a bird like this. He gives no information of the time that it would take to properly care for a bird like this. He gives no information about the knowledge and equipment you'd need for a bird like this, and from what I've read it's extensive. I was reading a falconry web page and the equipment you'd need for a bird like this is both rare and expensive. It also says that in order to handle birds like that you have to be taught, no amount of time spent reading about the subject can ever prepare you for the actual hands on real thing. No where on this guys web page does he mention any of the above.

What does he say?

Are these birds difficult to raise and keep?
    Not really. They are extremely hardy and adjust to almost any temperature or humidity. They require a minimum area of about eight feet square to give them room to open their wings and move about a bit.
    I'm sorry, but that's the kind of thing I'd expect to hear if I went into a poor pet store and asked about a budgie. He gives you a rough outline on what they eat, tells you that they're 'fascinating' and 'big' and that's about it.

On the other hand, look at all the organizations that warn against buying owls as pets:

http://film.guardian.co.uk/harrypott...5918%2C00.html

http://www.hpana.com/news.6668.html

http://www.raptoreducationgroup.org/...ld+Not+Be+Pets

http://exoticpets.about.com/library/...er+merchandise

one by one the birds take my sanity!! Chick
    Name
    Christa
    Thanks

My junior high school had a mini zoo inside it and I was lucky enough to have the zoo as my home room class for grade 8. Our teacher Mr Vonhollen had a permit to keep all sorts of exotic animals we even had a marmoset (sp??) its a small monkey. He was cute but by no means pet material. We had birds, rodents, reptiles, a toucan, small aligators, huge 20+ feet snakes and spiders. It was very very neat.

While visiting my home town we stopped in to visit the Zoo and saw that he had gotten a owl. I dont remember the species it was very very small about the size of a quaker parakeet. It wasnt tame but it was very cute. He told us that he had gotten it from someone who had it as a pet but couldnt handle its needs and gave it to the zoo. This person also didnt have a licence.

It would be neat to own an owl but not something to be taken as lightly as that web page suggests.

Christa

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

we even had a marmoset
    Ohhhh! That is SO topical for me today as we had a marmoset in at the surgery. It is 15 years old and has dental problems. It was SO CUTE!!

In terms of owls, I once knew someone who kept an African Spotted Eagle Owl as a pet in the house. I didn't think it had much of a life. Sure it was fed well, but it just didn't seem right. This person also had Barn Owls in an aviary outside. A fox got 2 of them, and the third flew into the avairy wall with fright and broke it's neck.

Regarding raptors, a lot of the ones I see at the surgery are usually kept by experienced handlers. However, there are some that are 'pets'. A hawk as a 'pet'! The latest 'pet' hawk we have is currently staying with us because it has stopped eating and needs force-feeding/medications every day which the owner is unable to do. We are going to scope it tomorrow to see if there is anything wrong inside.

These are beautiful birds, and I really don't think that keeping them as 'house pets' is very fair. They may tolerate handling, but to me are still so wild. I think that if they are to be kept in captivity, it should be by experienced people only, liscenced, with good housing and the freedom to be flighted every day. It doesn't seem appropriate to domesticate them. The damage their claws can do is enough of a reason to beging with. OUCH!!

What worries me is the latest pet craze following the Harry Potter movies. Kids want owls as pets, and some parents just get kids what they want. Remember the craze following the Teenage Mutant Ninju Turtles (or whatever they were called)? That is the reason the we still see abandonen terrapins to this day, because everyone bought them for their kids following the craze, and they have grown too big for people to take care of. We have them living in rivers and pond here where people just let them go.

one by one the birds take my sanity!! Chick
    Name
    Christa
    Thanks

Yup every kids move brings that with them you should have seen the dalmation craze after 101 dalmations came out every kid wanted one and every parent had to get one for that kid. Then a few years later there were so many dalmations you couldnt give them away. A lady brought in a litter of 10 to the dog kennel where I worked because nobody wanted them and she couldnt afford thier food.

Another great movie was Babe, oh sure pigs are cute but not pets. So everyone went for the pot bellied ones... then Paulie the conure movie... and now finding NEMO I guess some petstores cannot keep the little orange and white clown fish stocked fast enough. To bad parents didnt think more before they bought thier kids everything they want.

Christa

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

The whole owl craze is actually spilling over to cockatoos as well. When parents realize that they can't get a snowy owl, they instead opt for another 'large white bird' and buy either an umbrella or mollocan cockatoo. I read at a cockatoo board that rescues have quite a few M2 or U2 named 'Hedwig'.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

i saw this ad on here & clicked it, too.

i really hate what this guy is doing. he is also selling them for hunting!

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

Actually after being placed in a zoo falconry is *probably* the best thing for these birds. That way they can fly on their own, and do what they are born to do, hunt.

Somebody who actually knows about raptors should chime in here, but it looks to me that if these birds have to be kept domestically that falconry seems like the best thing for them. After all, hunting prey is as natural to an owl as chewing wood or eating seed is to a parrot. Falconry is the most heavily regulated sport in the world, so the people involved must know how to train and care for these animals.

One of those owls going to a licensed falconer is better than going to a family who wants an owl like in Harry Potter.