where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Aviaries

Amber Egg's Cracking... Birdchick4eva's Avatar
    Name
    Amber
    Thanks

Aviaries

I'm soon going to construct a small indoor aviary thats about 5 ft wide, 16 in di. and about 4 ft high not including the stand I want a pair of button quails, a pair of doves, and a pair of parakeets(no not budgies). Will that leave any room at all for finches? I dont think the quails would take up much room since they're about the size of a finch except they stay at the ground. About how much room would it leave if any? Please can you submit any pictures of you aviary if you have any! :annabnana

Name
    Amber
    Thanks

Re: Aviaries

Oh and im going to construct it out of a hollowed out entertainment system with an acrlic front and either a wire or like a mural or tropical picture in the background, with doors at the sides or if it's wire back, the back

...Over the rainbow Growing... Kalvin's Avatar
    Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

I have an aviary but I'll be taking it down tomorrow and building a new one in it's place, once it's up I'll get some pictures.

That size sounds fine for those birds, and a few finches, my current one is 6ftx3ftx6ft high. If possible try and make yours deeper, 16" isn't a lot of room for the parakeets and doves to manoeuver so if possible get it as close to 2ft as you can.

I've written an article on aviaries that's in the Bird Info section here, it's based on outdoors aviaries since these are what I prefer to keep mine in and I've never built an indoor one, but the basics will help you.

The quails will live on the floor so don't really need to be considered as residents, with a pair of doves (only diamonds would be small enough IMO) and parakeets you should be able to add a few pairs of finches with no problems. Just make sure there are suitable nesting places (if you're going to breed) and they have enough perches so they don't have to fight over them.

Name
    Amber
    Thanks

Thanks alot! I cant wait to build the new aviary! By few do you mean about 2 or 3 pairs of finches?

Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

I really have no idea of the correct "stocking" level for an aviary. I know my birds, how much space each one needs and stop buying once I'm there (thus my new aviary). I'm sure my aviary is currently well over what's recommended to keep in it, but the birds get along fine, have plenty of room so there's no problem.

Stock your aviary slowly, one or two pairs at a time and judge it buy eye, when the birds look comfortable and the aviary is nicely stocked then you know you're there, if squabbles start regularly then consider selling some.

Remember if you're going to breed to leave plenty of room for the babies, each clutch has the possibility of producing around 6 chicks, if they're all breeding at once then that's a lot of babies that fledge taking up a lot of room.

Name
    Amber
    Thanks

So if im housing all these birds together which brand of food should i get, budgie? Which brand of food is good for finches alone?

Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

I feed mine Harrisons foreign finch seed (nothing to do with harrisons pellet) which is a good quality seed that I buy in bulk, I'm not sure whether it's available in the US but most people I know there use Herman Bro's finch mix. The quail can feed happily on the finch seed too as long as they all have fruit, veg and eggfood/boiled egg.

You'll need to have a constant supply of grit for the doves and quail so they can digest their food. I have oyster shell grit in a bowl at all times for my birds, the doves, quail, finches and parakeets are all fine to eat this and it's a good source of calcium.

Name
    Amber
    Thanks

ok, thanks ill try that

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Pete
    Thanks

Surprised nobodys voiced concern over housing Finches and Parakeets together yet

Constantly hear stories of 'keets ripping legs and such off of their finch playmates. Just food for thought.

Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

It would depend on the type of parakeet, most types of grass parakeet (bourkes, turqs etc) are fine to keep with finches because of their docile manner.