Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: They can't have a home in the wild?

Beyondu De Glaveu Brand New Egg Sekkira's Avatar
    Name
    Mike
    Thanks

They can't have a home in the wild?

How about giving them the wild in the home?

I've been thinking about this for a while and finally got my butt into gear and actually carried it out. Basically I got the idea that budgies and cockatiels seem to all be grass parrots and they thouroughly enjoy wandering around in the thick of it. Now I wont actually clip their wings after I've tamed them, cause I'd rather they enjoy flying around the house when they are let out, so I can't exactly take them out into the backyard to play in the grass because even though they're tame, they still like flying.

So I came to the conclusion, why not fill the cage with soil, plant grass seeds in there and let it grow, obviously doing some trimming with sissors so it doesn't overgrow. I also realised that this could probably eradicate cleaning the cage altogether as anything they drop to the bottom (seeds, poo, bits of perch they decided to chew off) would only fertilize the grass (also eliminating using lawn fertilizer which I'm sure is potentially fatal to the birds).

Anyway, a few days ago, I scrubbed up the cage, possibly for the last time, grabbed some soil out of the compost heap, done some gardening and planted the seeds. Yesterday saw the first sprouts of grass and today even more. Here's a pic of my progress:

1.49MB Pic, 56k beware

Thanks

Re: They can't have a home in the wild?

not sure how well this will work in a cage, but I have grass on the bottom of my aviary (with 2 tiels), and it works out pretty well, except for when they are moulting - the feathers don't really decompose to make fertiliser, so there are heaps of feathers in amongst the grass now. But then, they hardly go down to the bottom, since the aviary id 8' tall.
    I'm not too sure how well this will work with budgies. When I was looking after somebody else's budgies (in an aviary, they had 7 at the time), I had this bright idea of planting a tray of grass for them. So I planted the grass and waited a couple of weeks for it to grow nice and tall and green, and brought the tray into the aviary... it took the budgies about 10 minutes to chew the grass off to the roots, uproot some of it, and dig up the soil... they looked like they had great fun doing it, too. Watch out for your budgies doing the same to your lush cage lawn...

...Over the rainbow Growing... Kalvin's Avatar
    Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

I doubt it'll work in a cage, like DizzyDezzy says the birds will just rip up the grass since the soil on the floor will be relatively loose and it's only a tiny area so won't take them long. I've known people to have natural aviaries with just grass and various plants on the floor but it's a large space, in a cage the birds will most likely see it as a treat. I did the same for my finches not long ago and between them they managed to rip all the grass up within a day.

Name
    Mike
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice, I've never heard input from anyone on this before, so I guess I'll have to watch out for that one. Although both the budgie and tiel I have do like chewing on things, they aren't much of chewers, I can leave them around electrical cords and stuff and they wont chew on them hard enough to leave marks of any kind if at all.

Birdyless Bird Lover Tailfeather raptorace's Avatar
    Name
    Rich
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sekkira
    ...they wont chew on them hard enough to leave marks of any kind if at all.
    it's unlikely of them cutting through, but all it would take is one bite connecting pos & neg and
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Proud to have been pappa to Sweety and Sky
    Sky, Sweety, you will always be in my heart.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Name
    Mike
    Thanks

Yeah I know what some budgies are like, I once left two budgies in my room with the door closed for about 2 hours and the wood part you have between the floor and wall, yeah, they completely chewed it up.

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

You may get a nitrogen over balance,and that'll kill your plants as well. That would be a problem after a week or two, though...

Name
    Mike
    Thanks

Oh? Please explain this in detail as I'm no gardener or anything, so I could use all the help I can get with this @.@

...Over the rainbow Growing... Kalvin's Avatar
    Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

It's all down to the nitrogen cycle I should think, you'd need abalance of everything to keep it stable so you'd most likely need tointroduce worms or some form of invertebrate to help decompose thepoop, food etc. In a cage that size it could probably work if you havejust the one bird in there, many more and there would be too muh wasteproduct and not enough bacteria, fungi and other decomposers to breakit down.
    Nitrogen cycle

Name
    Mike
    Thanks

Hmm, it looks like I could probably hit it at the root of the problem, possibly doing what you said, introducing some worms and stuff in and considering my girlfriend breeds fish, I could probably use some of the chemicals that take out ammonia she uses, put that in the water and spray water it with that stuff therefore possibly reducing the ammount of ammonia which is then transformed into nitrogen.

I guess it'll be a take it as it comes thing

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

If you have the good bacteria, it's gonna change the ammonia into nirtite, which will change into nitrate, almost instantaniously. Plants like nitrate. But, you may have so much poop that the nitrate can't eat the nitrite fast enough. Honestly, I'd say got for it and see what happens and all, if you want to mess with just trying dirt and seeds

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

why not just create a patch of grass for them to play in when out of their cage? you could have less maintenance, and they would get some fun times that way.

on a similar note, eucalyptus was brought to CA (and now is considered a menace to native plants!) and is everywhere. in the state, regional, and federal parks they don't use pesticides. i wild harvest (sssshhh! i'm not supposed to take stuff, but i never harm the trees, just stuff on the ground) eucalyptus branches, bark & nuts & after sterilizing (baking) i make a "forest" in their cages.
    they GO NUTS! eucalyptus is one of the things both birds love, eat, etc and they have such fun when i do this...