Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Chirps and stuff

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Chirps and stuff

I was just wondering what the different kind of chirps are. Well our apartment has 3 budgies in 1 cage and another 1 budgie, Jay is his name. The 3 budgies in 1 cage was purchased 2 weeks from today and are still getting used to the environment I guess. Sorta scared of the hands and don't play at all. Jay, I purchased from a breeeder, not handfed but was handled everyday and is 8 weeks old. He's very curious, comes out of the cage but is still kind of scared of me. I got him yesterday so i'm just happy he's very active unlike the 3 budgies we purchased from the pet store. The 3 budgies from the pet store, 1 in particular sounds mad or what not. It's not the same chirp when they call to each other. It's fairly loud. Just wondering what it could be. I know he's the dominant one of the group. Just like some help for a newbie. Thanks!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Chirps and stuff

Another behavior is being noticed by Jay. He goes to the ground and flaps his wings a couple times fast. What does that mean?

one by one the birds take my sanity!! Chick
    Name
    Christa
    Thanks

Jays practicing his flying techniques. They do that to get thier wings in shape for flying.

I dont know about the chirps- some birds just sound different than others. My one budgie Benders so loud I always know when hes talking (which os all the time)

You shouldnt let your young breeder budgie near the ones from the pet store- they could make each other sick.

Christa

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply! They are in different rooms....wish I got mine first so that I could put in the living room so I had to settle for my bedroom. I guess I know where I'll be spending most of my time at. Jay is getting a little more comfortable when I get near him. It's only been a day but I'm getting excited with it's progress since it's so much more active and playful towards its toys then the other birds.

Frosty and Cooper's mom Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Beth
    Thanks

Is there a female in the group of three? I know that my female is very dominant and a lot of times if she is playing or wants attention or just gets mad she makes a loud rackety sound, like shes yelling.

Beth

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure the loud one is a male. Is it possible they want attention even though they are scared of you and don't want to get out of the cage?

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

My budgie Pez makes this really loud chattering sound, which sounds angry and mean. I think that's just his thing. He actually does it sometimes when he's happy or excited. It isn't too pleasant on the ears, though. And he taught out other budgie to do it too, so now we have two screaming, chattering angry-sounding budies!
    * Another long-winded message from the beak of Duddles. *

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

haha yeah for some reason the other 2 birds don't do it thank god. they just chirp their regular chirp when the loud bird just is obnoxious.

Ted The Budgie Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

Budgie sounds vary from budgie to budgie. My friend has a female albino budgie named Charlotte, when she is relaxed and happy she'll make a very pretty chirp. When she is unconfortable, angry, or looking for attention, she'll start screaming. Ted, my budgie, is of coarse a male and is MUCH more vocal, which is usually the case amongst budgies - males chirp more than females. Ted does pretty much the same thing, he chirps when hes happy, when he is excited he'll chirp even louder, when he is angry or looking for attention or wants out of his cage (or when I'm trying to put him back IN the cage) he'll start screaming. When Ted is relaxed he'll make a little "warble" sound, its very cute, he makes this sound before he goes to sleep and when hes playing with his toys or just grooming himself.

You'll learn what every litle sound means as you become more familiar with your budgies.
    "If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by candlelight."
    - George Gobel

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Casey
    Thanks

My Boy tends to sing and chirp when its reasonably noisy at our place.
    When its quiet, he tend to sit and listen, or come out and fly around..

When he hears Lorikeets and other birds outside though, he'll imitate them LOUDLY! :-)

And of course, the talking.... He can mutter to himself for hours, (particularly when he's having a Nap in the middle of the day.... Eyes closed, muttering to himself.
    Goodbye Boyd.... You brought so much joy into my life, and I'd give anything to have you with me again... Fly free and happy, wherever you are... I'll miss ylou always.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I was also wondering if two parakeets in the same room in different cages that are visible to one another still be able to bond as if they are together in the same cage.