Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Lovebird eggs...

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mitch
    Thanks

Lovebird eggs...

Helo...
    I have a pair of fischer's lovebirds that are sitting on eggs and i wanted to ask you some questions.

How long does it take for the eggs to hatch and when is the latest time to destroy the eggs after the hen gives up on them?

Also i have 5 eggs in there and i wanted to know when is about the time to start checking on the eggs to see if any have hatched?

Finally when should i put rings around the babies feet to identify them?

Last one i promise. Before the eggs were laid they started to make a nest in the tiels nest box and that is where the eggs are laid now. But i wanted to know if i could move the parents in to a smaller cage just for them to breed in by themselves with there eggs so the cockatiels don't get in there and kill they babies or maybe even the parents. Or could i wait until the babies are born and then do it or with the parents just try to attack me since they aren't tame?

Thanks i hope you answer some of my questions if any..

Mitch Finn

Geaux Tigers!!! Tailfeather NeapolitanSixth's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Re: Lovebird eggs...

Are your tiels and lovebirds together? I would recommend housing them separately, as lovebirds can become aggressive towards tiels. Tiels are generally laid back, but lovebirds can be little spitfires.

-Nikki

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

How long does it take for the eggs to hatch and when is the latest time to destroy the eggs after the hen gives up on them? It takes about 23 days from the day an egg is laid until the day the baby hatches, if the egg is fertile.

Also i have 5 eggs in there and i wanted to know when is about the time to start checking on the eggs to see if any have hatched? I usually check each morning to see how the eggs are doing but it's not necessary. If you feel comfortable waiting, I would check about 3 days before the first egg is due to hatch and then once/day.

Finally when should i put rings around the babies feet to identify them? The age for banding is between 12-16 days for Fischer's babies. A lot depends on the size of the feet. The band should go on without being forced but if the foot is too small,the band will slip back off just as easily as it went on.

Last one i promise. Before the eggs were laid they started to make a nest in the tiels nest box and that is where the eggs are laid now. But i wanted to know if i could move the parents in to a smaller cage just for them to breed in by themselves with there eggs so the cockatiels don't get in there and kill they babies or maybe even the parents. Or could i wait until the babies are born and then do it or with the parents just try to attack me since they aren't tame? If the nest is already established, I would move the Tiels, if that's possible. I wouldn't worry about the Tiels killing the baby lovebirds. Lovebirds are very aggressive and can easily hold their own. I would worry about injury to the Tiels. If eggs have been laid and momma lovebird is incubating, moving her is not an option.

Linda L.
    Lovebirds Plus Aviary

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mitch
    Thanks

Thanks for all that info. I think i am now ready for my babies and now remember what i learnt before.
    And yes i do house my tiels in with the lovebirds but they seemt o be doign fine and even now when the tiels are starting to get into breeding season the have not been aggressive to one another or even looking in there nest. Oh and by the way i have bought another nest for the tiels to breed in but i won't be putting that in just yet or should i?

Thanks again for the help ere.
    Mitch Finn
    Also if you want to look at my site it is here at http://assiss.proboards32.com

Geaux Tigers!!! Tailfeather NeapolitanSixth's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

This is also from Lovebirds Plus Aviary, by BarbieH:

*How long does it take for the eggs to hatch and when is the latest time to destroy the eggs after the hen gives up on them?

It takes roughly 23 days after the last egg was laid for the first egg to start hatching. If no eggs were fertile, discard the nest and eggs after the hen gives up on them.

If some of the eggs hatched but other did not, leave the unhatched eggs in the nestbox. They help the newly hatched chicks from being sat on too hard and possibly developing splay leg.

* Also i have 5 eggs in there and i wanted to know when is about the time to start checking on the eggs to see if any have hatched?

He can candle the eggs 7-10 days after the last one was laid, but do not remove them from the nest. Once dropped, that's it. You can clearly see veins in a fertile egg, using a small penlight and holding it right up to the egg.

* Finally when should i put rings around the babies feet to identify them?

For most lovebird owners, it's a matter of personal preference. It is more necessary for breeders and people who may one day ship their birds to different states. Some states require banding and some do not.

Not a problem about that post. We once had a member here post someone's information to another board, and that person's e-mail (that was posted too) was flooded. We had to set up that rule.

this is nikki again:
    I've been sitting on this since yesterday, but it got hectic around here..sorry I didn't post it sooner!

-Nikki

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mitch
    Thanks

No prob's. And thanks again. O also about the post that nikki made about when the first egg hatches. The hen has been sitting on the eggs for exactly 20 days and if you said it takes around 23 days from when the last egg was laid for the first egg to start hatching they won't hatch until another 13 days. Am i right?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Hi, there,
    I just thought I would share with you. One of my pairs of lovebirds had 7 eggs, and at this point 4 chicks have hatched. My brother-in-law has Gouldin Finches. He has had many infertile eggs. He finally got his first chick, but it was found on the floor of the flight and two other finches took over that nest. He was not prepared for housing the 2 week old baby bird. I guess what I am saying is better safe than sorry. So now, I have put together a homemade brooder for my babies. It is ready in the event the parents abandon any of the babies. Right now, they are doing well and I am waiting for two more eggs to hatch. The 7th was infertile and is gone now. I have been told that Rowdybush handfeeding formula is the best, but I have no experience with it. So, I am relying on it for now in the event I am handfeeding anyone. Maybe someone has information on handfeeding formulas? What was interesting, Roja ate the egg shells. I know Verde eats the cuttle bones all the time and is very attentive with Roja. He also sits with the chicks when she leaves the next. LOL Karen
    Last edited by KarensLovebirds; 09-29-2018 at 04:42 PM. Reason: clarification

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Hi, and welcome! Congrats on the new babies! Roudybush is a great company, so I think your formula will be great to feed them. You had a great idea to build the Brooder. Egg shells are great calcium for birds, so eating them was a plus. Generally, when birds need more calcium, especially during breeding and egg laying, you can boil a chicken egg, crush the shell, and mix it in the seed cup.

We will watch for updates. You and the babies are doing great! I love the names you chose.

Remove Ads