Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Kirby, the rescue budgie

Thanks

Kirby, the rescue budgie

Background story :

Kirby is a 4 years old (estimate) petstore bought budgie that was the property of the mother of my friend's mother in law. When the lady got sick with alseimer (sp), my friend's mother in law took the bird in and eventually placed him with her own budgie who was 11 years old at the time. One year later, the old budgie died and Kirby remained alone.

Never in those 4 years was he ever let out of the cage, fed anything other than seed or had interactiong with humans. After his cagemate's death he was given a miror and a plastic budgiebuddy as toys, his only other option being an old rusted jungle bell. His cage has always been round and he has never perched on anything other than a wooden dowel finch perch. My friend's mother in law assumed that her beloved 11 years old budgie had passed because of the newcomer (eventhough no wounds had been found on the body) and began to hate Kirby for it. She decided to give him away, being annoyed with him and not wanting to be reminded of her deceased pet.

Kirby then came to me, in his round cage, with his unfit toys and his wild character. It was in June that we met and I was far from positive that I would accomplish much with him. After quarantine (a few days ago) he was placed in the bird room where he met the tiels. Much singing insued and he seemed more comfortable around me, though he would still try to get away from me when I would change his food and water.

Two nights ago I began trying to have him perch on a dowel to get him used to step up, in hopes of being able to let him out of the cage to exercise. He did! And he apparently LOVED flying around the room (bird safe, tiels caged). So this morning I took him out again, and tonight too... but tonight, the totally unexpected happened...

I got him to step up onto the dowel and helet me approach my fingers... I got close enough to rub his tummy and I tentatively said "Step up?" and guess what... HE DID! What is most awesome is that he didn't fly off in a panic when he realised he was perched on me, he stayed there calmly and chirped happily!

We're starting the pellet conversion tomorrow, and I cannot even begin to tell you guys how great I feel right now that I have been able to make such progress with a totally untame budgie! I only hope that I'm able to give him the best life possible from now on

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Melody
    Thanks

Re: Kirby, the rescue budgie

That must feel so amazing both for you and for Kirby who has lived all his life in that cage with such a boring life. He must really sense your love, and trust you. What a wonderful story.

I am slowly working on Gracie who is 4 months old who I got from the pet store. She is slowly getting used to me, but your story is truly an inspiration.

It's wonderful to know that Kirby has a great home for the rest of his life, instead of being with someone who resents him.
    Melody

Name
    Jodi
    Thanks

Aww, what an awesome story! I'm so glad Kirby is going to have a wonderful rest of his life! What a lucky bird!

Name
    Christa
    Thanks

Glad to hear that Kirby was able to find a loving and caring home. It is to bad that his previous owners didn't know that dedication that comes with a budgie. I am so in love with my Sammy that I can't fathom how someone could not want to spend time with the little creatures. Sammy even entertains my MIL, she said that it was the best thing having Sammy come into our lives.

Good luck with the continued efforts of taming and loving of Kirby.

Sammy's mom (Christa)

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

I am so in love with my Sammy that I can't fathom how someone could not want to spend time with the little creatures.
    I know what you mean! It's funny. My husband comes home and watches TV. I come home and watch the "budgievison".

Congrats, Taffy. That's wonderful. It feels really good to earn a little one's trust. I'm sure this is a sign of more wonderful things to come, and a happier life for little Kirby.
    * Another long-winded message from the beak of Duddles. *

Name
    Jodi
    Thanks

Duddles, That's exactly what we do! Hubby will watch t.v. or work on his laptop and I just sit and be amused at Kiwi's antics on the top of his cage! Drives my husband nuts cuz I keep saying, "Quick, look at him now"!

I'm A budgieaholic Tailfeather kathy5's Avatar
    Name
    kathy
    Thanks

what a wonderful person you are got any pictures???
    kathy
    my helpfull birdy page

kathy's facebook page

please give clicks to help my number go up

Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Drives my husband nuts cuz I keep saying, "Quick, look at him now"!
    Your husband and my husband should get together. Every now and then, I scream: "Come quick - they're being cute!" And my husband walks in looking very unamused, and rolls his eyes at me. But I know I'm getting to him. Every once in a while now, he'll call me to tell me they're doing something adorable. Or he'll walk into the room and ask me: "Are they being cute?" And the other day, I asked him to tell me three things he likes about the budgies, sicne I'm tired of his complaining - there's poop on the walls, there's seed on the floor, the tiel we're bird-sitting stinks... The first nice thing he said was: "they're cute."

one by one the birds take my sanity!! Chick
    Name
    Christa
    Thanks

Jason isnt amused by the birds either- I'm always saying look Jason quick look.. and then by the time he looks of course the super cute thing they were doing is done. He just doesnt get it, but at least he puts up with it lol

Thats great that you took that great little budgie in- sounds like he is turning into one fine little guy. Good luck with the pellet conversion I know how tricky that can be sometimes

Christa

Thanks

Update :

Kirby has been introduced to properly sized pellets and has shown little interest in them yet... can't be perfect on every aspect now can we

He has taken a liking in being taken out of the cage and won't trash or fight when I ask him to step up on a perch. He won't step up onto my finger from the cage yet and only does one time out of 4 or 5 out of the cage. Will do it every time on the perch though.

He seems to want to get closer to the tiels, mostly to Indy who's cage is next to his. Baby and Flamie completely ignore him or hiss at him when he gets too close. No fighting or injuries occured, just some angry squacks and flying around in circle.

He enjoys being out on the play tree and I have see him play for the first time. I have therefor decided that the toy he showed most interest in will be placed in his cage tonight when I put them back in for the night. He will be most pleased considering the amount of chewing and preening that he did to that toy!

I also caught him rubbing his head agaisn't a branch, I'm guessing that he is trusting enough of his new surroundings to use them as preening tools. I'm quite pleased about that too, especially since it gives him a bit of diversity for his poor little feet. For the past 4 years he only had finch sized perches in his cage.

At this very moment, Kirby is standing 2 inches appart from Kirby who watches him real close, wondering if this little thing is friend or not? Kirby made his move and processed to preen Indy who let him to it for a couple of seconds before backing away. Kirby seemed most happy and is chirping next to Indy. I'm under the impression that Indy and Kirby are the only two with a probable relationship, considering that the other two's attitudes do not make for a very plausible mutual liking.

All 4 birds are in the play tree at the moment, enjoying different areas of the tree and different toys. I'm quite impressed with Kirby's curiosity and exploration skills, he isn't afraid of toys and happily goes from one to another chewing, preening and shredding while chirping.

We are far from the cage bound, fear-aggressive budgie that cage to me a month ago.

Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

That's great! He was probably just dying for some excitement and happiness, and now he's found it.

Thanks

So here we go for another heart warming update...

The birds are currently out to play before I leave for work and they are quite happy about it since yesterday I wasn't able to take them out because of working overtime (much nipping insued but they seem to have forgiven me).

I had all 3 tiels on my lap while applying makeup and felt that Kirby (who kept chirping in envy and rubbing his head on a rope perch I made for the tree) might want to be part of it. So I had him step up onto the wooden perch and brought him to sit with the other tiels. He quickly descended from the perch onto my lap and sat there happily chirping. Of course when Indy decided he wanted to go back to the tree, Kirby quickly followed and they are both there right now while Baby and Flamie are on my shoulders.

Kirby has been doing that a lot lately (rubbing his head on the rope perch, both eyes shut, chirping) I'm guessing that he secretly envy the tiels for getting scritches. I'm hoping that by giving scritches to the tiels in front of kirby will make him understand how completely safe I am.

Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

That's really sweet. I agree with your reasoning. Many of my sweetest moments with Bruce came about due to his wathcing what I was doing with Pez and wanting to join in. And many of my taming breakthroughs with Pez came about the same way - with my handling Mudge and Pez seeing that it could be nice to be around me.

Remove Ads