Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mold Spores! HELP!

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Mold Spores! HELP!

This evening, I cleaned out my fridge. I found a nasty container waaaay in the back. The container had what was once a rice dish and it had gotten wedged between the back of the fridge and a 12 pack of pop. I don't know if what was IN the container makes a difference on how "toxic" the mold spores might be.. but just in case. (UGH!) so I threw the container in the trash (lid on and all).

Just a few minutes ago.. I was taking out the trash.. and the plastic trash bag broke as I was headed for the door. A few things spilled out, including.. the nasty container! It popped open and a cloud of mold spores puffed up into the air! I was about 10 feet away from the tiels' cages when the bag broke.

Thankfully.. their cages were covered for the night.. except for about a quarter from the bottom which I leave uncovered for light.

I cleaned everything up as fast as I could and got that bag out of the house. I didn't spray anything, but I left a window open to hopefully air things out. I heard one of the birds sneeze a few times after the spill, about ten minutes later.

Do you think they'll be okay?

Any input?

Thanks!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    Pam
    Thanks

Re: Mold Spores! HELP!

ahhhh... refrigerator science, I just love it when I find those.

I think that molds that grow on food are generally in the gross but non toxic category. I wouldn't worry about the spores being more than an irritant like pollen. That's just my gut feeling, sorry I don't have any more official advice

Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Hahah! Refridgerator science.

Well.. it's not like they stuffed their beaks in it and gobbled up a crop full of moldy rice.. so let's hope everything will be okay. After the initial sneeze.. all has been quiet so I'm HOPING everything is gonna be okay.

Man... I haven't worried this much since my kids were babies! LOL
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

one of the items i'm gonna get when i can afford it is air filtration- two kinds: standard with filters you replace every 3 months to catch the "big stuff" (dander, feathers, dust)

and an "ionic breeze" to get all the tiny particulates. i was skeptical until i saw them in action at another mickaboo foster mom's house. amazing. it would catch all those mold spores.

and hey, clean air would benefit the humans as well as the birds!

the person i know who has them has 6 macaws, 3 toos, a few doves, and 2 cats. her house smells clean & fresh. amazing!

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

Air filtration if you have birds is a must. Not for the birds so much, but for the people. Especially with cockatiels, they give off so much dust. I spent $170 on a really good hepa filter and I haven't ever regretted it.

What's the difference between an ionic breeze filter and a hepa filter?

Anyway Mowsie, I'm sure your birds are ok.

ThisBbyAyu Hatching
    Name
    Ashley Kun
    Thanks

Instead of using newspaper for the bedding, I use these kinds of pellets that my mom bought online. I put them in my budgies cage for a few days, and i noticed that there were sprouts that were growing from the pellets!! The budgies had spilled water on the pellets and spilled seeds there too and MOLD grew, and then the seeds sprouted . That was a long time ago and they are find!

Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Well, here it is, nearly 24 hours since the mold incident and both birdys seem fine.

On payday, I think I will be getting a new air purifier for out here in the living area to help with dander and such. We have one back in our bedroom because my husband has allergies and gets hives :-( Having the purifier back in the bedroom where he spends alot of time really helps him. I've seen those ionic breeze purifiers, my husband knows someone who has one, and they're AWESOME! Too bad they're so pricey!
    "Somewhere out there

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

I have an ionic breeze. When you have three ferrets, air purifiers help ^^ I have to say, it's not quite the miracle product they make it out to be, but it definitely does cut down on the smells and allergens in my house. Of course, my ionic breeze has to work harder than most ^^ I only realized what a good job it was doing when one day I forgot to turn it on after cleaning it ^^ Blech.

You can get an ionic breeze on eBay for much cheaper than you would at the Sharper Image.

Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

God BLESS Ebay! LOL!!!!
    "Somewhere out there

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oh Mowsie
    God BLESS Ebay! LOL!!!!
    Hehe, you have no idea how many times I've accidentally said that I bought something on Ebo ^^

Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixk
    Hehe, you have no idea how many times I've accidentally said that I bought something on Ebo ^^

BWHAHAHAH!!!!! Omg.. that's SO CUTE! Especially if you're buying something FOR Ebo! LOL!
    "Somewhere out there

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tielguy
    from what i understand, the ionic breeze uses negatively charged ions to collect positively charged particulates (or vice versa, i can't remember which is right) & collects the smaller stuff like mold spores & tiny bits of dander. they are virtually silent, too.

i think both is a great combo & as soon as i get some cash, i'm getting 'em!

i'm glad the birdies are OK!

Name
    Steve
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniland
    one of the items i'm gonna get when i can afford it is air filtration- two kinds: standard with filters you replace every 3 months to catch the "big stuff" (dander, feathers, dust)

and an "ionic breeze" to get all the tiny particulates. i was skeptical until i saw them in action at another mickaboo foster mom's house. amazing. it would catch all those mold spores.

and hey, clean air would benefit the humans as well as the birds!

the person i know who has them has 6 macaws, 3 toos, a few doves, and 2 cats. her house smells clean & fresh. amazing!
    Be careful and make sure you research the ionizer you purchase. Too much ozone output I heard may not be good for birds. I have a Surround Air cleaner and it has 2 settings, hi and low. The manufacturers emailed me and recommended to keep the air cleaner on the low setting and not close to the bird cage. Just thought I would let you know this.

Name
    Steve
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tielguy
    Air filtration if you have birds is a must. Not for the birds so much, but for the people. Especially with cockatiels, they give off so much dust. I spent $170 on a really good hepa filter and I haven't ever regretted it.

Anyway Mowsie, I'm sure your birds are ok.
    An Ionic Breeze or similar item cleans the air with electromagnetic technology. Impurities attach to an electrically charge plate. A hepa filter air cleaner pulls air into the machine with a fan and the impurities are collected on the filter. An Ionic Breeze you don't have a filter, you just clean the collection plates every once in a while, while a hepa machines, you usually have to replace the filter every 3 months or so.

Name
    Steve
    Thanks

Here is a link to a good, cheaper alternative to the Ionic Breeze. It's cheaper and works just as well. It's called Surround Air and the model I have is XJ 2000. From what I understand, the ozone output is very minimal with this model, but there is still some ozone output. I've had my Surround Air in my apartment with my tiel, Buddie, for about a year now and hasn't affected him. But I keep the setting on low and isn't too close to his cage.

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...oundair.com%2F