Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

Re: The Problem With Quakers

Unfortunately for me, I bought a quaker without research.
    About three years ago, I went to Uncle Bills Pet Store to purchase a cockatiel. When we went to see the birds, the cockatiel I had wanted had been sold. I began looking at the others, as well as interacting with them when I happened to see the small green quaker. I imidiately inquired about the curious bird, and I was told that the quaker was an excellent family bird--just the same as a cockatiel. This fact reigned true...for the first few months.
    Soon after, the quaker (named Sammy) chose me as his one and only. When this was accomplished, Sammy began seeing my younger sister as a rival. His loud screeches and irritated behavior escalated dramatically everytime my sister came into my room to spend time with me. I still believe what Sammy was experiencing was jelousy. He hated the fact that my sister could get to me when he couldn't. This jelousy soon formulated into a grudge. Now, everytime Sammy sees my sister, he grabs ahold of the nearest item and clamps down on it, shaking it with all his might. This is how he relieves his frustration, but it's not very pleasent when he ends up putting a hole or two in my shirts.
    Although, it is rather humerous when Sammy is wandering around on my bedroom floor and my sister walks in. Sammy immideately chases her off, laughing hystarically at his triumph. I try not to laugh with him, and most times make him go back into his cage for a while. But nothing I do is able to change his behavior.
    And although I'm his 'one and only', he 'tattles' on me. Sam knows that when my mom comes in the room and says 'good night' that he is able to fore me to bed at any time he chooses. He'll sqwauk once to let me know it's time for bed, then he'll proceed to tell me 'night night'. If I don't listen, he'll throw a huge fit, only pausing to say 'Oh-o' when he hears my mom coming down the hall. He's silent as she yells at me, and proceeds to laugh when she closes the door, proclaiming 'night night' again. However, anytime I choose to say 'night night' and cover his cage, he's pleasently happy to go straight to sleep.
    I love my quaker immensley, and will never give up on him. But as many posts on this topic have stated, quakers require a lot of patience and dedication.
    So far, Sammy is a healthy three-year-old. He's never experienced plucking nor medical issues. But as for his behavioral issues, I have learnt to deal with them since none of the other remedies seem to work.
    They're funny little guys...that's for sure.

(That's Sammy)

Name
    Becky
    Thanks

Being the owner of a Quaker (or should that be the other way around?) I feel I must sound off here. While Kiwi tries to act like she's the devil re-incarnate, if you call her bluff, she mellows right out. She is the second Quaker I have owned and I have had her for about a year now. I don't remember my first Quaker being so hidiously loud however. If "Fred" made noise, it was like a gravely cawwing sound, but Kiwi has this highly ear piercing shreak that she blasts out rythmically about every 2 seconds for hoouuurs on end unless I put her in the bathroom and turn off the light. Aaahhh silence. I am so lucky that the Macaw and the Cockatoo seem to be more annoyed with the sound rather than show signs of joining in....Thank the Lord!!!! She talks alot too, more than the big birds, she says her name of course, but she will whisper it too and then make little kissing sounds. She says, here kitty kitty, barks like a chihuahua, coughs and laughs like the pot heads I got her from, whistles like a cockatiel, says Hi Kiwi and pretty bird, and just mastered Gidday Mate. She also likes to mumble when I'm talking on the phone, and tries to do the "no pants dance" with herself in her mirror. (No eggs as of yet) While I will admit she can be trying at times, she is also very clever and loving when not charging the cage with beak agape. I got her, because I was visiting the people who had her (friends of friends) and when I heard her in a back room I asked if I could see her. Once in the room I wanted to take her out and was told good luck she bites. And YES she did....Hard!!! But only once, and when I held her close to me and starting cuddling with her, their jaws nearly dropped. She was kissing me and fluffiing her feathers looking for scratches, etc. I went home with her a few weeks later. They thought I was some bird whisperer or something. Too funny. Sometimes you just have to call their bluff. I have always liked the cocky little quakers with their decieving little cuddly faces and fox like intelligence. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment, but I wouldn't trade the little monster for the world.

Your bird called. It said, GET OFF THE COMPUTER!!"

Name
    Becky
    Thanks

PS...I realize some of these threads are pretty old but I have a question on the whole "dangerous, illegal" thing. Are they dangerous because they could threaten ecologically if enough people just turned them lose? I find it hard to believe that a bird native to much warmer climates could survive let alone thrive in the Wyoming wilderness. I expected to see the warmer states ban them, like the Pirrahnah and Caiman (who could conceivabley reproduce in the warmer water ), but it seems not to be weather related. Sooo, why are they illegal?

Name
    Scareca
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beeks View Post
    PS... but it seems not to be weather related. Sooo, why are they illegal?
    It's really hard to believe, but they can survive almost anywhere in the US North. No joke. Here's a link to the official "Brooklyn Parrots" web site:

http://www.brooklynparrots.com/2005/...est-tests.html

They're in Boston!

Name
    Megan
    Thanks

i have quaker parrots that live in the town i work in, which is in CT. they are everywhere down there.

Name
    Becky
    Thanks

I just looked at the link for brooklyn parrots and was amazed! To me, it just seems so weird to see parrots cavorting with starlings, pigeons and wrens. And look how fat and healthy they are!!! I will have to be doubly dillegent about keeping my Quaker indoors. I just made the stupid assumption that she would perish in the cold if she ever got loose. I know invasive species can cause some ecological problems, but I have to admit it would be cool to take a stroll in the park and stop to watch a flock of these little comics. I also did not realize all the different calls they have (orange alert, red alert, etc) I wish someone had an audio of the different call levels, so i know what my little screamer is trying to tell me. Up to this point I just figured all calls were to annoy the crap out of me. LOL

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Seth
    Thanks

These posts are absolutely correct about Quaker behavior. My girlfriend's is as sweet as a *****cat, but does occasionally act just like a Vise-Grip pliers.
    Amazingly, he has learned at least 75 words, and uses them in COMPLETE SENTENCES to get what he wants.

AMAZING.

I disagree, though, that they are the loudest birds. My Goffin's cockatoo has them beat.

If you have read my introductory post, you already know that my Quaker is shacked-up with a Rainbow Lorikeet. The only downside of this co-habitation, is that both birds have lost much of the motivation they originally had to talk.

Separating them would be cruel.
    And, besides, who would get the Hoei cage [retired for the moment], and who would get the California Cage [seven times the price]?

As far as the Brooklyn Parrots website goes:

I live in Brooklyn, walking-distance from their biggest parrot concentration.
    The electric company removes their nests, and kills the birds. They deny it, but I pressed a worker for the truth, as I snapped photos of the nests being destroyed.

When I wrote to the head of the parrot website, and told him that I witnessed this, he insisted that the nests are long-abandoned.
    Bull**it. There were fresh droppings under each nest. This webmaster pretends to be a Quaker advocate. He holds tours of the Brooklyn College parrot nests, and, obviously maintains the website.

I have seen the truth, and am not happy with it. What can be done to help these birds. They are considered to be disposable pests, which is very far from reality.

Interestingly, the Rainbow Lorikeet holds similar status in Australia and New Zealand.

Edit: I cannot believe that *****cat was edited out of my post.

Seth

Chick
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Given that the native Carolina parakeet is extinct, would it be so bad to have another parrot species take over its niche?

Name
    Steve
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by notransistors View Post
    As far as the Brooklyn Parrots website goes:
    When I wrote to the head of the parrot website, and told him that I witnessed this, he insisted that the nests are long-abandoned.
    Bull**it. There were fresh droppings under each nest. This webmaster pretends to be a Quaker advocate. He holds tours of the Brooklyn College parrot nests, and, obviously maintains the website.
    Seth

Hi Seth,

Terrific to meet you here. Thanks for mentioning my web site.

If you have proof that Con Ed, or its subcontractor, is hurting or killing the parrots in Brooklyn during nest removals, I would encourage you to reach out to the media, as I have re the current poaching problems in South Brooklyn, to get the story out.

I gather from your remarks in this forum you don't think very highly of me or my efforts; that's certainly your right, and this is why you should take such evidence directly to the media.

I gather your conversation with the utility worker leads you to believe that your claim is true. What was his name? Did he work for Con Ed or Toro (the subcontractor)? When did this conversation happen? Any and all such details will help you establish your case. It will help you greatly if you can provide a second source, which the reporters I have spoken to typically demand.

There are a lot of people in the states in which the wild quakers live who strongly dislike them and wish to be rid of them. I am very glad that you are a person who is in the opposite camp.

Best regards,
    Steve Baldwin
    The Brooklyn Parrot Society
    http://brooklynparrots.com

For the Love of all Birds Hatched! pitufina73's Avatar
    Name
    Maria
    Thanks

Do quakers and cockatiels get along?
    Visit my work's website!
    http://www.amazinglabels.com

Brand New Egg
    Name
    linda
    Thanks

there are bad sides to any kind of parrot you get. There no such thing as a quiet parrot.
    i agree with everything you have had to say about the quakers however that does not make them bad. it just means these parrots are not for everyone.and anyone even concidering one should first research the breed throughly ( true for any bird) talk to other quaker owners before getting one.
    unfortunatly they are illegal in a lot of states and that is another downside to them.should you have to move.
    they are illegal in california. I would love to have one but will never get one for the fact not only are they illegal here.
    nnnow if i lived where they were legal that be a different story
    linda
    linda

Geaux Tigers!!! Tailfeather NeapolitanSixth's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Linda, I agree that they are not bad parrots, and when ErinCG and I wrote this original post, we did not intend to make them seem like awful birds no one should get. They are quite delightful with wonderful personalities, but there was a trend of people that both she and I had noticed who would buy a quaker armed with only positive info from websites just to abandon them later.

All parrots have negative sides, and luckily, there are sites like this to help people find out more before they head into a commitment.

-Nikki
    Come visit my flock!! ( click )
    Need help finding an avian vet? Click HERE.

Check out my blog!

King Louie and Me!! Brand New Egg King_Louie_and_me's Avatar
    Name
    amanda
    Thanks

I must have gotten stuck in the lucky pool, my quaker is a doll!!
    He's nowhere near as noisy as my green cheek conure, he talks to me all the time with things like "hey" "what's up" "gimme a kiss" and "adios". I don't have any problems with him being territorial. He lets me fuss around in his cage while he's in there all the time. He's also very close with my conure. Being molting season around here, they preen each other, play with each other, eat out of the same bowls, and even snuggle. (all under my supervision, they are caged seperately). He's let others handle him, on numerous occasions, he's a ham, he LOVES the attention. My conure has drawn blood quite a few times when i've made him mad, whereas my quaker just mouths my finger, he's never bitten me. The only problem i have is that he scares easily, and has a tendency to "freak out", but i'm more worried he'll hurt himself than someone else.
    I understand it's important to let people know the negative aspects of certain kinds of birds, but i don't think they're all bad, let's give them some positive praise, eh?
    I should also mention he's a couple years old, and well into what i would call his maturity.
    Amanda

Name
    Becky
    Thanks

Due to space related problems, my Quaker (Kiwi) stays in the bathroom. It's actually a pretty well trafficed area and right off the kitchen, so it works out ok. Her cage is next to the light switch and her greatest hope in life is that some unsuspecting person who is not paying attention, will miss the light switch by a few inches and in doing so..put their finger into her cage. She only gets this opportunity twice a day...in the morning when we turn the light on...and at night when we turn it off...and she waits for it. Thanks to my son...her patience paid off in spades a few days ago as he sleepily walked into the bathroom first thing in the morning and turned to say something to me as I came out of the bedroom. "CRUNCH!!!!" He jumped about two feet and let out a mighty yowl and in the back ground you could hear her chuckling up a storm (she sounds like me when she laughs) I started laughing and said 'Honey, you just made her the happiest proudest bird in the world" (She got him good too) This is for the most part the only time she gets aggressive and I think it is more of a game than out of fear or anger. She gets to come out regularly, is bathed a few times a week, loves to sit on my shoulder and whisper her name, (among other things) and is generally well socialized. I think she does this for the same reason a cat hides under a bed and grabs your feet or ankles when your not expecting it and boy did she have her day thanks to my son.

Thanks

I'm adopting one this weekend coming quaker a male year and half.
    Been reading some of topics interesting yes some is true.I was in Israel had quaker male was a joy had to leave it behind and give to someone else.That broke my heart was very attached to him.We have one bird already a cockatiel.This one is baby less 2 half months old a girl think not sure yet.For sure will not put them together and will leave them alone to see each other in differant cages.Will play with one at time or my husband will take his turn to help out.I'm a bird person and not scared to have them rather see what happens and put a topic later in few weeks if all goes well or not.
    Thank you,
    Happy New Year

Name
    Meghan
    Thanks

arent quakers illegal in california? im just wondering. i dont live thre but ya.

- Meghan

Name
    Becky
    Thanks

Yup. The hardy little buggers are even illegal in Wyoming where the winters can gt pretty harsh.

Name
    Meghan
    Thanks

i like quakers but ive heard so many bad remarks and comments about them that i dont think ill get one.

- Meghan

Name
    Becky
    Thanks

I have one and she is one of a kind. She has a pretty good vocabulary and really does love attention but you would never know it unless you call her bluff. Which is how I got her. I think I was the first one to ever do it. They can be noisy for sure but I just close the door to her room and she quiets down pretty quickly. My bigger birds have even learned to scold her for screaming. They will tell her "Quiiiit" or "Staaahhhhp" that sounds very much like me. I'm waiting for ""For Gods sakes...shut up Kiwi" LOL Don't turn your back on them completely. Every one is different and on a scale of one to 10 in the bird noise scale they rank at least 3 below many of the conures I've had and been around.

Name
    Meghan
    Thanks

I think there lovely looking birds, but im not sure, maybe when i graduate school i may look into getting one. IM not concerned about noise since i live in a fairly large house. Ive also heard that they can jealous of other animals, if thats true then they definitaly wuldnt work for me, since i have 2 dogs, 1 cat(mostly outside though), and 2 cockatiels.

- Meghan

Hormonal
    Thanks

I have just been reading the posts here again
    thank u guys
    i am trying to talk a friend out of a quaker
    they are the cutest but for a girl who is a first time bird owner and only thirteen with very little spare time on her hands there is no way that a quaker would fit in

he mum is not a bird lover either

so i will show my friend this thread
    thanks again

Name
    eric
    Thanks

we have had a quaker that we rescued 3 yrs ago he was returned to a pet shop then a friend of ours took him but he/she didn't get along with his quakers i had a double yellow at the time and they got along like brothers they were in seperate cages but every chance they got they would fly to the others cage and play

Name
    Becky
    Thanks

Nikki-

I know this is really not a thread to be posted on anymore, but I just have to tell you that every once in awhile, I pop back in and read your original message because I get such a chuckle from it. (I'm crazy that way ) Being the owner of a Quaker, every point you make is spot on, which for some reason I find humorous. I guess it's thinking about the poor unsuspecting individual that sees the cute little chirping baby green and gray bird and falls in love with it and takes it home. Personally I believe the Quaker is part of an alien race "take over". Once installed in your home it becomes the thing nightmares are made of. Eventually causing mental illness and a complete breakdown at which point the Quaker Alien takes over your body.

My Quaker was a "gift" from a friend who knew I liked birds. She said her boyfriend didn't want it anymore. Jeez...I wonder why?

Yes he's a pain, yes he is loud, yes he can be quite grumpy, but he also clever, quick to learn new words, easy to take care of and in a better home enviorment. All the same, every now and then when I want to ring his feathery little neck, I read your article and chuckle, take a deep breath and persevere.

Just thought you should know.

Geaux Tigers!!! Tailfeather NeapolitanSixth's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Oh, please do feel free to post in here! I get lots of chuckles from reading the thread too. Thank you Becky, and everyone else for all of your responses.

The thread was started by myself and a former mod, mom of a quaker. At the time, I was living with someone who had one, hence my pleas to check with your roommates/spouse before purchasing one. It also came at a time when a lot of new bird owners seemed to have been buying quakers that ended up becoming more unruly than normal because they just didn't know what to expect.

I've thought about unsticky-ing this becaue the crisis seems to have been averted, but the stories I read here are both incredible and informative. They're as great a bird as any parrot, but they're just not for everyone!

-Nikki
    Come visit my flock!! ( click )
    Need help finding an avian vet? Click HERE.

Check out my blog!

Name
    Scareca
    Thanks

Oh, Nikki, I hope you never remove it. I have referred a few non-members to that sticky when they mentioned that they were considering a quaker. The thread explains everything that comes along with that cute little green ball of chirping fluff after it grows up.

I don't know about you guys, but when I look up anything bird related on the internet, I invariably get referred to a Tailfeathers thread. Keeping this around may be doing a lot of good.
    Tailfeathers Superstar