Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Problem With Quakers

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: The Problem With Quakers

I've been a parrot owner for many years. I own 3 quakers now, one is 8 years old, one is 2 years old & the other one is not quite yet 1. I have never ran into these problems, but will keep an eye out for them. It might be because I've have all my parrots on trick training & there for spend alot of time with each one....

Just love my Fids! Brand New Egg nikki9093's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Well, here we are into July and Im gonna give ya'll an update on my guys...lol...I now have TWO quakers...lol..and both are doing great. Bobbie is a 9 year old and so totally "into" the new digs around here. She fits right in and we have not had any issues with her. No obsessive yelling, just the normal flock calling, and shes not really all that loud. AND, wen we got her, she was supposedly very much a bi***, not wanting to be a breeder,not really wanting to be a pet...kinda didn't want nothing. Well, I am proud to say that she has learned to beltch, and we're working on peek-a-boo, and saying "hello baby". She knows that one, but will only say it when she feels like it. So I dont see what hte problem was with her at her previous home. MAybe a bit neglected, and housed with an agressive bird the plucked her. She was a bit bare when we got her, but she has since grown most of the pins out and had feathered up nicely.

Quiggly is still Quiggly...he is still like a plucked chicken, but just accept him the way he is...bald and bueatiful.
    Owned by:

3 Fids (one bluefront amazon, and 3 keets)
    2 dogs (KoKo and Bruce)
    4 cats (dash,wilson,nani & stella)
    2 bearded dragons(fat-boy and hopper)
    40+ leopard geckos
    2 rats (chip and wormtail)

Thanks

ok guys , what am i missing here ? i got a new QP afew weeks ago,thats 11 weeks old . we read quit about them before we got the little guy . sure seems to be a really smart bird as he can untie knots and steps up on command. he seems to like all the people that he meets and loves to ride in the truck . as i travel often to see my soulmate, thats a 45 mile trip one way, also he seems to do great around the other birds at her house.but one thing that i've noticed is that RJ loves out of cage time ,looks forward to it any time he gets it . so please tell me , whats not to love ?
    Last edited by longhair; 07-26-2005 at 05:09 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    debs
    Thanks

Hi! I am a new member and find this thread very interesting. I have a quaker that I took in at about 5 years old, and after several owners. The person I bought her from said that she was NOT hand tame. Indeed, when I would just put my hand in her cage to feed her, she would chase me down and try to bite my hand. I handled her anyway, and within a week I had her trust. She is a wonderful bird. Now both my husband and I handle her regularly.

As mentioned above, she is NOT a bird that anyone else can handle. We have young children, and they can feed her snacks, but we would never have them hold her. She does NOT perform on demand for visitors. We are SO glad we took her in. We would do it again in a heartbeat. We love her, and our kids love her (but also respect the boundaries we have set with her). Given the opportunity, I'd get another quaker in a heartbeat. But I would not recommend them to someone without some bird experience.

Name
    Andrea
    Thanks

My gator is 2 years old. He chose us when he was 4 months old. He has been a wonderful addition to our zoo. He does have some quirks about him though, but I would not hesitate to get another if I ever decided to get another bird.

I will agree that he can be VERY loud when he wants attention or more food. I have to say that my tiel is much louder than him. He doesnt really talk much except at night after the lights go out in the evenings. I tell everyone that he is reading himself and the other birds a bedtime story. He loves being in his oversized cage and is very protective of it at the same time he loves to be out.

While I can do whatever I want to with my hands in the cage, no one else can get around him unless someone else is feeding him for me. Otherwise, they get a hiss and a lunge. He can bite hard, but I guess he chooses not too. If he doesnt like what you are doing, he will hiss and "push" you with his beak and if that doesnt work he will give a little bite, that leaves no mark nor draws blood. When he is out, all he wants is to be on you and be rubbed and give kisses and have quiet quaker conversations with you, never attempts to bite anyone.

The only problem that I have with him is that he is VERY VERY VERY i cant say that enough, DESTRUCTIVE with toys. He can have a rope of any material untied or a toy destroyed quicker than you can attach it to the cage. He loves to play on the bottom of his cage and I decided one day to try plastic cat balls (no catnip) that have a little plastic bell inside them. He probably has 10-15 in his cage at any one time. He loves to lay on his back and get those bells out. Dont ask me how he does it but he can get them out without damaging the ball. I inspect them daily and if i see the bell is out or he has damaged the ball, I throw it away and give him a new one. All day long you hear bells bells bells, more than you hear him yelling.

I love my Gator and wouldnt trade him for the world.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    marya
    Thanks

My Quaker Larry, is over 15 years old, a wild caught bird,a nd the sweetest (well, to me) thing in the world!!! Larry is not as loud as the teenager in the apartment above me. My landlords love Larry, in fact, my landlords put Larry's name on my Lease!!!

Larry does protect his cage, and does think I am "his" (sorry, we all thought Larry was a "he" for over 11 years. That is, until that emergeny visit to Angell Memerial Hospital in Boston! Larry laid what could have been one of the most expensive eggs ever!!!) I really don't think Larry is any louder thant my budgies, or group finches, or other birds I have "baby-sat" for, unless "he" feels he is being totlaly ignored.
    Feather plucking is a major problem, and I have battled for years... Lots of vet check-ups attempts at collars, medication trials, but I have decided that Larry shall never win any beauty contest, and I deal with a slightly bald neck and "shaved legs." I have also found that plenty of toys, fresh fruits, changes of scenery, TV, radio, daily TLC, and daily showers keeps it in check.
    I also find that an an occassional splash of organic red apple vineger in the water helps to keep yeast grams down (the vet saved me lots of money and said this works better than medication. According to the past wellbird exams this works great!).
    If someone ever offered the most exotic, prize winning, brillant birds in the world, I would not trade my Larry! Quakers rule!!!!

Don't forget to help the wild quakers in CT!
    Last edited by zekebird; 12-04-2005 at 07:14 PM.

Name
    Traci
    Thanks

i also work in a bird only shop and i will agree that Quaker's are fairly loud for their little size, i do own 2 of them ( both handicapped ) and they, well more one than the other lets me know when he wants his out time with me and is the friendliest little green bugger, i manage to work 2 jobs and they are adjusting well to MY hours, same as my
    CAG and bare eyed cockatoo, if my house didn't sound like work i wouldn't know where i was half the time... lol .... all are time consuming birds..and all are SPOILED ROTTEN
    Last edited by Traci; 03-14-2006 at 12:53 AM.
    "It isn't a coincidence that both birds and angels have wings."

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Robin
    Thanks

GREAT information!!!!. I researched quakers for over a year before i got one. And then I searched for the one I wanted.I opted to saty with green I didn't want a blue or a yellow.I must say I am very fortunate for several reasons #1 Houdini si not loud like many quakers I have seen and heard.I was ,however prepared for loud.I have her going on 2 months now and once in a great while she let out a LOUD call but for the most part she is content so long as either me or my youngest son are around.She has bonded with both of us.She is great with the rest of the family.She is about 6 1/2 months old and I know that is young yet and puberty is on its way.I do not suggest a quaker for anyone who does not have the patience or the time or does not like LOUD noises.And honestly anyone who has not owned birds before ...this is not a "starter parrot by any means. I have always had birds mostly parakeets and Cockatiels but I worked in an all bird store for quite some time and had the good fortune of being able to see quakers and many other birds in action.I couldn't agree more that so many of these birds end up in rescues and worse because it was an impulse buy.I have said it many times before ...people should have to pass a test before being allowed to have a particualr animal.I do consider myself very fortunate that my little green chicken is not all that loud...I have a cockatiel that beats her for noise level.But I love the sounds they make...With quakers its either you love em or hate em. I LOVE EM!!!
    Robin

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Gee... it sounds like you all hate these birds yet you still have them. They are part of the parrot family...didn't anyone research how noisy parrots are before they bought one? All birds have their moods. With patience and knowledge of how to treat them as well as a natural love for birds, they should give you years of pleasure. I hope you all find good loving homes for your birds so they are well cared for.

Geaux Tigers!!! Tailfeather NeapolitanSixth's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Momto3, we don't hate quakers. The purpose of this thread was to give warning to a potential new bird owners. All of these traits are in all parrots, but quakers can be more stubborn than the rest. Everyone who replied graciously shared personal stories and ways they coped with problems--it was all meant to be helpful, not hateful.

-Nikki
    Come visit my flock!! ( click )
    Need help finding an avian vet? Click HERE.

Check out my blog!

Name
    Traci
    Thanks

i luv my quakers, i adopted both of them. they are handicapped to boot ( each having only one leg ) i have 7 birds total and wouldnt give up any of them.................... http://usera.imagecave.com/Traci06/av-2096.jpg

Love those Lovies Adult love_none7's Avatar
    Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

http://www.quakerparrots.com/quakerfaq.htm#II

Gives you the pro's and con's

Name
    Scareca
    Thanks

Quakers are prolific, and so they are also illegal in a few states. The following link lists the legal status of Quakers in each US state, though more accurate information might be found through research at the Department of Agriculture.

In the state in which I live, Quakers are euthanized.
    http://www.quakerville.com/qic/statelaw.asp

Name
    Traci
    Thanks

the thing about Quakers......... is that they have the OMG cutest talking voices... at nite i Have to mute the TV just to listen to buddy in the back room saying "Hello what r ya doing"..............

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Wendy
    Thanks

I'm new here and have posted about an African Grey. I'm also fairly new at keeping birds. The grey is a foster/rescue I've spent thousands of hours researching. Well, I went to my first bird fair in Morganton, NC last week and saw the Quakers! I thought they were wonderful and being the newbie, I was not armed with info. After reading this thread, I realize how lucky I am that the Quakers are illegal in my state (TN)! This Grey has made me cry enough, I would die if I ended up with an equal problem. So, I left the bird fair with a Sun Conure with all the toes missing on one foot....I made an excellent decision!!!

In fact, the Quakers are not just illegal, they are SO illegal that if even the name Quaker bird is whispered, authorities are knocking on doors to seize the bird! I still think they are beautiful and may someday be prepared to care for one...I'm just glad I didn't start out that way!

Great Info!!

Remove Ads