Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Name
    Angie
    Thanks

Re: The Problem With Quakers

NIkki, I live not far from you in the New Orleans area. I don't know where else it's like this, but we have quakers just flying all around! I saw a pair in my neighbor's chinese plum tree. I called my uncle, collects exotic birds, and told him that someones birds were in my nieghbor's tree . Apparently they just fly wild around here. I don't know where they came from. Well, I just found out a couple of weeks ago that right after Katrina, my other nieghbor picked one up that had been hit by a car. You cannot go near it's cage!!! It screems and WILL bite!! I know that this is a wild bird, so of course it will act this way. I'm just saying it becouse of the topic. I just don't think they should keep it caged. I think that agter it healed it should've been released. I haven't noticed any plucking or anything though!!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kat
    Thanks

I was about to adopt a sun conure from a bird rescue when I happened into a local pet shop to buy some supplies. I saw this little quaker guy and it was love at first sight. I put down a deposit to hold him while I went home to do some research before I went back to get him. He was about 7 mo old and "reduced" because he had been there a while. I don't know how I got so lucky. He is the most perfect bird! I would not consider him loud at all unless he's sitting on your shoulder and you turn on the water. After your ear recovers its hearing, you remind yourself to turn your head next time. I am the only person in the house, but when my daughter and her fiance visit, he is very good with them and they always want to have him on their shoulder. I've had him about 8 months and just love everything about him. I would consider him an extremely easy keeper. He is very careful about new food and it took him quite a while to eat pellets. He has a good sized cage with lots of toys in and on it, and he seems just as happy playing inside as out, and doesn't complain if the doors are closed, although they are open most of the time. I never imagined keeping a bird could be so much fun.

Suffering from MBS Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

Great information on quakers.....
    I have a quaker Zeus. He will be 2 years old on valentine's day, and yes I must admit they aren't for everyone. They can be very noisy, aggressive and very dominant. I did months of research before actually purchasing Zeus. Although I didn't know at the time that quakers weren't all that expensive I ended up paying over $600 for him at petsmart. In the long run though he was so totally worth it. He fits right in here with my cockatiels ( I NEVER allow them to play together because I know quakers are toe munchers ), three cats and a dog. He cries like a baby tiel when he wants food and has mastered the tiel mating cry. I love him to death but they aren't for everyone.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Steve
    Thanks

I also know of a problem. My house has 10 birds... And, they are illegal in NJ. I really like them, but after reading your informative insight, I wstill want one, even though there are plenty of risks.
    To the Senegal! Hoorah!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    haley
    Thanks

i have a quaker which i love dearly but they can be quite a handful! he is very loud when i am asleep and he is not, and destroys everything! lol but i luv him
    i have a beutiful girl cockatiel named nikku whose birth day is may 2007who was adopted febuary 2007

Thanks

and they have a really good memory...If you do something today to upset them and don't give them a chance to vent their frustration, they'll remember and bite down hard tmr

Brand New Egg arabianhorselover's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

I have been told by a breeder that only breeder Quakers are noisy; not pet Quakers.

Bella's Personal Maid Moulting elfhome's Avatar
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Very helpful thread. I do agree that these are traits common to many parrots, and as such an experienced keeper would be familiar with. They do sound needy and stubborn, and I liken them to Toos in some respects. Toos are wonderful birds but not for everyone.

What makes Quakers different as far as I can tell is their size and price tag can deceive people. So in that respect this post was very helpful because a lot of people may not not know these things until they have the bird. Parrot people probably could handle Quakers. Unfortunately Quakers seem prone to being bought by people who think they are more like parakeets or *gasp* a canary or finch. Maybe it's just my personal experience, but I know people who avoided adopting a parros because they knew they wouldn't good parront. And they typically did not file Quakers under the term 'parrot', much less one that needs a high level of experience.

Name
    Becky
    Thanks

I have been told by a breeder that only breeder Quakers are noisy; not pet Quakers.

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Trust me, coming from someone who has a Quaker who has never been a breeder (I don't even know what sex he/she is but I call him he) pet Quakers are NOISY.

I think your breeder friend was trying to sell you a bird.

Your bird called. It said, GET OFF THE COMPUTER!!"

For the Love of all Birds Hatched! pitufina73's Avatar
    Name
    Maria
    Thanks

aha good thread! i know i posted here long time ago also, and now i have a quaker who is a *****y female nippy and bites hard. she came to me from someone else who was rehoming her for a fancy yuppie apartment.
    i have a greencheek also and im not allowing them to play together for now, i just moved Ari (quaker) to my apartment from quarantine, so for now i be watching them, she is very bonded to me and not my boyfriend, he bites him hard. I have a friend who wants her so bad and there is a possibility she might have Ari because i dont want Greenbean to get hurt.
    Its a very informative article here and im glad it got pinned.
    Visit my work's website!
    http://www.amazinglabels.com

GRamsey Brand New Egg
    Name
    Gerrie
    Thanks

I have to admit that I didn't read EVERY post to this thread, but I did read a lot of them and wanted to add...

As a member of a flock of 9 birds and 4 humans, including a green and a blue Quaker, almost everything I read in the initial post was absolutely true. Sonny and Keiko are territorial, smart, brave, loud and even possesive of their toys, cage and each other.. BUT...
    I also have to add that they are good birds for someone like myself with experience and time.. I personally couldn't imagine our home without them. We dealt with a lot of the issues that come along with being parents to Quakers, and in turn I wanted to offer some advice to anyone having some of the same issues. Before giving up and giving away a problem bird, please make sure you have tried EVERYTHING to change the bad behavior. Too many of these beautiful birds end up in the wild, grouping together to form wild flocks all over the place.
    For the screaming, teach them to whisper. They learn quickly with rewards and also love the up close and personal attention.
    For the chewing, give them LOTS of little toys and things to keep their minds and beaks busy.
    For the possesive behavior problems, allow them to leave their cages before trying to change food, water, toys, clean or handle them. It ALSO causes less stress for the "owners" of the house in which you are invading.
    For the one person bird, try to understand the bond and accept the behavior, therefore avoiding bites to unwelcome strangers. Not every bird is going to enjoy being the center of attention... a lot of people are like this too.
    For the other members of the flock in your home, just avoid any interaction between them... it's just safer for all that is involved.
    AND.. if you can't cope with the hard-headedness and stubborness of a Quaker you already have and have tried everything possible, please make sure you give them to someone who understands ALL of the problems associated with them... It's horrible for someone to have false hopes and understandings of a bird, and in turn have to give the bird up as well, but it's even worse for the bird that gets passed from one home to another.

Just my opinion....
    Mom of 2+9

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    David
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Squawk and Howl View Post
    two things:

first, too many people try & "break into" the world of birds with "something glamorous" like a macaw, an african grey, conure, or quaker. a vast majority of these birds end up in rescues & dead.

please folks, make sure your lifestyle accomodates having a bird(s), not the other way around. and start with something easier, friendlier & more optimistic like a tiel. once you get a good feel for birdkeeping, feel free to expand your flock.

but that said, budgies & tiels ARE NOT "throwaway" or "practice for the real thing". they are wonderful lving creatures that deserve our respect & loyalty. the other birds that end up in rescue are the smaller ones- because someone is "upgrading" or decides that their "cheap bird" isn't worth vet care.

i understand not all people will research birds before getting them. heck, i weas one of those poeple too. but once you have a bird, it is YOUR DUTY to read everything you can, and ask lots of questions.
    I completly Agree.. Although I would love to have a BEautiful Macaw or Cockatoo (Or even a Quaker) just from going througha friend aviary I really do not think I could handle LOUD screams, Squakes and clicks (Or afford the money for their matinence)

i love meeka,polly n jack Brand New Egg meeka14's Avatar
    Name
    melissa
    Thanks

ive had my quaker polly for 2 months now and he is the BEST ! i couldnt ask for better. he is not quite as loud as i thought quakers qould be and i guess thats just how he is and he has his little character. i recently tought him to make the kiss noise while he is kissing me on the cheek and is starting to make little sounds and trying to listen to himself when he talks. its really cute.he is only 5 months old and im still hoping hell start saying real words one day . im working really hard on teaching him i know that much.

He eats just about EVERYTHING. he is always excited about trying new things and even if it doesnt look appealing he will always take a bite out of it to try it. just like his mommy ! lol.. he loves play time. play time for him is ALL DAY if im home. if im home he is out all day and goes in once in a while to eat and wtv. other than that he is always out on his little park destroying something. Recently , he figured out that he could chew off the wood of his park. He doesnt eat it he just loves to rip it apart. He LOVES to play with napkins. He chews on them till their all crumpled up and then throws it away and waits for the next one.

He is pretty comfortable with going with anyone but when he is with someone else and doesnt see me in site he looks around until he sees me and then gives a little nibble on the person hes on to tell them that hes MINE and not theirs. hes a little cutie. He goes on everyones hand and nibbles on everyones ears no matter who it is and loves to play with whoever as long as im the one who puts him back in his cage. He definetely knows who feeds him ! Im the only one he wont lunge at when i put my hand in the cage. In fact hes never bit anyone yet hard enough to actually scream but when he lunges everyone gets scared and thinks he is going to bite but i know that he wont bite he just want to scare you. Everyone that meets him thinks hes this lil devil but i know that hes a lil angel.

Oh and another thing, he gives manicures for free ! hell go all over your arm just to find dead skin! when he finds it he ripes it out so generously.

Hes not really the kind to spend his day playing with toys or anything altho he has plenty he prefers to crumble napkins instead and when hes locked up in his cage he doesnt play with any of his toys he eats or sleeps instead cause he got so much stimulation while he was out of his cage.

All in all , i love my lil buddy and would not regret getting him EVER. Hes a great bird with a great character and im sure i have alot of challenges ahead that i am ready to take at full force because love overpowers all the difficulties that come at you.
    Lovebird- Meeka
    Quaker- Polly

Congo African Grey - Jack

Name
    Shannon
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beeks View Post

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Trust me, coming from someone who has a Quaker who has never been a breeder (I don't even know what sex he/she is but I call him he) pet Quakers are NOISY.

I think your breeder friend was trying to sell you a bird.
    I was told the same thing by a Conure breeder years ago. I had never been around them, and commented on how loud they were (I though my ears were going to bleed). She tried to claim that they only make noises when there are multiple birds. Yea, right!

Laurie Egg's Cracking... LaurieHCB's Avatar
    Name
    Laurie
    Thanks

Someone told me they sound like a minature airhorn! (SAid person has two).
    May be a bird for a really experienced bird person?
    Laurie

Name
    javi
    Thanks

well tomrow i am going to pay for mine. a 10 day old blue. i know that getting one so young is taboo. so please no lecturing. i have handfed well over a 100 birds and worked for breeders. he/she will go live with a friend till he is a bit older. she is an older woman who is home all day and kept birds for 50 years and handfed birds from day one. so we know how to handfeed properly and safely. the breeder does not want to handfeed so is giving me a great deal. about $300 less than what the other pet store has blue quakers for.
    i wanted to add that ya can help keep your birds distracted so they dont have the issues. i plan to keep him fully fighted and harness trained. (there will be no trips outside except ina carrier) trick training is surpisingly easy and there are many videos and books on training. i also plan o provide several hours of out of cage time. with 4 gyms set up. i know that the bad behaviors can come up even with all this but it can help.
    also i do have experience will quakers. i had one many years ago and i bought one for an ex a few years ago and he loves that bird. so i am not naive to the very high risk that he will scream and throw tantrums. i just want to shoe him a more productive way to use his time
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

Name
    javi
    Thanks

i am voting that this thread be removed from sticky. it is not right to single any one bird species out as being bad. considering all parrots have a bad thign about them. i can see how this thread is to help people do some serious thinking before getting one. but that is true of all birds. so if it would not be too much trouble lets stop singling out the quaker and remove this thread from sticky status. thanks
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

His Royal Greyness' Mom Chick spoosrule's Avatar
    Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

I never understood why this thread is here to be quite honest.

٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ Four More Babies Hatched! Skittles's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

I guess this thread is here to show it like it is. I've heard of countless people waltzing into a petstore, buy a bird, only to come back a week later saying "he doesn't talk". Quakers are always given the impression they're apartment perfect birds, they can talk, and are cuddly.

Most naive and inexperienced first-time bird owners, buy a bird based on this desription, when really, Quaker parrots (of course with the odd exception ) are much more complicated than depicted.

I've read the "info tags" in petstores and they all say that, no wonder people buy them completely unaware of what they're getting themselves into.

Luckily for us out west in Canada, quaker parrots aren't that cheap - a green quaker goes for 700+ and the blues go for 1400. So I doubt anyone will be buying one for it's cheap price tag and easy ability to talk.
    But because of that, we see lovebirds being rehomed all the time, budgies, cockatiels and more, 9 out of 10 people who are selling them always e-mail me back after I inquire, with: They aren't talking like I was told they would.

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

I understand that this post is supposed to be "telling it like it is" but the point is there aren't any threads doing the same for the many many other species owned as pets. Quakers definitely aren't the only type of bird that people jump into owning without knowing what they're doing.

First Baby Hatched!
    Name
    Lee
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spoosrule View Post
    I understand that this post is supposed to be "telling it like it is" but the point is there aren't any threads doing the same for the many many other species owned as pets. Quakers definitely aren't the only type of bird that people jump into owning without knowing what they're doing.
    I think the problem isn't this thread, but the lack of similar threads on other species.
    Perhaps we should all come up with one for our chosen birds? I think really, they all have points similarly to the Quaker, that should be pointed out.

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

I agree. I would be glad to write up a post on African Greys if this is something the members would like to have on the site.

First Baby Hatched!
    Name
    Lee
    Thanks

I really do think it would be beneficial, it would also help to ease the tension caused by simply pointing out the trouble with one species, as we all know their are potential problems with every species really.
    It's also something I think new owners should think of, as not everyone is prepared for the harder times that comes with caring for a bird.

Name
    Becky
    Thanks

This thread being a "sticky" is what lured me into TF. I had a Quaker when I was a teen and have one now. I got quite a few giggles from it and decided TF was a pretty cool forum. I didn't view it as a thread that was picking on the Quaker. I thought it was a fun, informative and that alot of thought, research and personal experience went into the writing of it.

I think it was more the time, effort and spot on advice that went into the writing of the thread more than anything else, that made it "sticky" material.

Anyone is open to do the same about any bird of their choosing. If the advice is thoughtful and thought provoking while being helpful and factual....maybe you too, can be the author of a "sticky" thread.

Your bird called. It said, GET OFF THE COMPUTER!!"

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Gillian
    Thanks

I'd honestly never heard of Quaker parrots... i had a budgie for 10 years and he was adorable.. he actually talked a lot and was super well behaved. A friend suggested i look into a quaker as my next bird (she's got an african grey which is a bit big for my space) so i found a breeder on vancouver island. I waited for the next nest to hatch and off we went on the ferry. I got him SUPER young.. he would still 'quake' (i was SO upset when that 'broke') He's such a cutey.. plays peekaboo, talks NON STOP. He's spent last night and tonight pretty sick in the hospital but will be home tomorrow if all goes well!!!!!!!! yay! but i DO love him.. he sure can scream i agree. He loves my mom and i.. but is a bit cage territorial- does anyone have tips for correcting this? He is especially aggressive towards my hubby, but as soon as he's away from the cage, he's a DARLING. when i've taken him for grooming, they always say he's the best quaker they've seen Good to meet other owners on here!