where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: broken Beak? Help

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Christine
    Thanks

broken Beak? Help

Well Jack (sun conure) was chewing on a peice of wood and all of a sudden he stopped, it looked like something happened to him by the way he was acting. I got a hold of him and I notice that he chipped the bottom part of his beak, right where it meets the top beak. The part whee he would grind the 2 together. Is it normal for there beaks to get chipped there? Are there nerve endings in that part of the beak for me to worry about? I took a good look at it and that part of his beak is not black like the rest of it is. Any hints on what to do? Will this be ok on its own? He is always chewing on leather or turning wood toys into saw dust. It kinda freaked me out that it happened. Does he need to go to a vet? He seems to be doing OK, preening himself, but it just happened maybe 5 minutes ago. Could there be some kind of nutrirional deficiency that is making his beak weaker than it should be? Please advise!!!

...Over the rainbow Growing... Kalvin's Avatar
    Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

Re: broken Beak? Help

Their beaks can sometimes chip when they are over active with their beaks, it seems to wear it thin a bit and then small chips come out. Most of the time it's nothing to worry about but sometimes it can indicate a vitamin deficiency (Vit A I think, but wouldn't swear to it). If he's eating a good diet and getting plenty of fruit and veg then I wouldn't worry too much, if he's a bit of a fussy eater at the moment then maybe see your avian vet about giving him vitamin drops until he starts to be a bit more adventurous.

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Yep, a lack of vitamin A can cause weakness and flakyness in the beak. Feed fruits like carrots, apricots, mango, spinach & broccoli. Also, it may be worth supplementing 1-2 times a week with a good supplement like BSP vitamin drops by Vetark.

What sort of diet does your bird eat?

As long as he hasn't broken a large section of his beak, and he isn't distressed or in pain, and can eat okay, I wouldn't worry about the beak chipping. Beaks do wear away as birds chew and play, as the birds need to keep them trim.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Christine
    Thanks

I have him on the Zupreem avian maitenance friut blend pellets along with almonds, peanuts, dried pineapple, dried apricots, dried apples, raisins, dates, some seed, along with some friuts and veggies (probably not as often as I should) I will definetly start adding fresh carrots and mangos into the diet to be safe. I just didn't know if it was normal to lose a part of the beak like that. It was a small chip. He is pretty hard on it. He loves to tear leather to shreads. He will chew on a toy for about a 1/2 hour straight in the living room if I am watching TV. I feel much better.

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

His diet sounds fine! Glad you are feeling better. I am sure that he is okay.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

i found that my conure likes dried veggies even more than fresh ones- so i am buying a dehydrator to ensure organic dried carrots, especially. (buying dried fruits & veggies is so expensive! and it's hard not to get them sulfured & such- so i figure why not do it myself).

http://www.justtomatoes.com makes dehydrated veggies & fruits, many varies are organic. i mix the "just organic carrots" in with my bird's pellet dishes.