Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: anyone experiance a prolapsed rectum with there tiel?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    sherry
    Thanks

anyone experiance a prolapsed rectum with there tiel?

hi im new to the board, i was hoping to get some advice from some of u ....i came home sunday nite and my cockatiel Fred, was bleeding from her anal area and it was hanging out.we rushed her to the emergency vet, and they put it back in, and stiched it up, he said it was a prolapsed rectum, most likely from her eccesive egg laying. i need to bring her back on mon to have the stitches removed, but she isnt acting herself, and barely eating her seeds..she seems to eat alot when i eat something and feed it to her from my mouth so ive been doing this every hour to make sure shes getting something in her...anyone else ever have this happen? did there tiels react the same way..im thinking she just went through a trama and is stressed, but im not sure if something is wrong. shes kinda sleepy too. i called many vets and they wont tell me anything over the phone i need to bring her in so they can charge me an arm and a leg..which i cant afford. thanks for any info

...Over the rainbow Growing... Kalvin's Avatar
    Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

Re: anyone experiance a prolapsed rectum with there tiel?

Thankfully I've never had a bird prolapse, although I'm sure it's very painful for them so may explain why your bird is acting different to normal, keep her warm and in a quiet place so that her body can concentrate on healing and not trying to keep warm.

She's not been eating properly now for a while so maybe try offering peanut butter (with as few additives as possible) to help keep her up to weight, try food processing fruits and veg into a paste so it's easier for her to eat too.. Feeding her from your mouth is far from ideal because of the bad bacteria that our mouths contain you may be doing more harm than good. If she's still not eating properly when you go to the vets next ask for advise on the best action to take, be it force feeding or trying something else.

If possible try and find a different avian vet too, a good vet should be just as willing to help you and answer questions over the phone, one that's just interested in money is no good they should have the bird as first priority.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

my friend cher has a female umbrella cockatoo that has had 4 prolapses.
    the next one could be fatal.

maggie is a very stressed out bird that was severly neglected before coming to cher. she also can't have any hormonal stress- so any time she starts getting broody, she has to go on homone shots to keep her from straining. it's the equivalent of a combo birth control & prozac for birds.

maggie started prolapsing not because of egg laying but because of STRESS of neglect (i am not saying that this is your bird's problem, btw- so please don't take my email the wrong way).

maggie was the love of her human's life until she got married to a bird hater & had a baby. then maggie was put into a walk-in closet (away from the family). being a smart bird, she tried mimicking the baby (crying noises, etc) to get her mom's attention- all to no avail. this went on for months.

it all ended when she prolapsed and the evil husband drove maggie to the vet - not to be fixed, mind you, but to be euthanized. the vet called mickaboo, and that's how she came to cher.

is there anything new or strange that has recently come into your bird's life that could cause a stress prolapse? did you move? get a new roomate? get another bird? change schedules? birds are sooo sensative.

has she been laying? if so, how much?

have you seen a board certified avian vet since your emergency visit? i would really recommend doing that asap. please keep us posted.

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Hey

Also, has the vet discussed how to curb excessive egg laying with you?

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Hi, to Tailfeathers.

You may want to discuss hormone treatment with your vet to shut down her ovaries and prevent any more eggs for a while, at least long enough to give the prolapse a chance to heal.

Here is a link to an article I wrote about egg laying problems. It doesn't mention prolapse, but has information about ways to discourage laying.

Please don't be disappointed that the vets you called are not able to discuss things over the phone. Usually, if it is a current case that your vet is familiar with, then he/she should be able to make general statements, but a vet cannot comment on a case unless he/she has actually physically examined the bird, otherwise it is easy to misdiagnose.

Is she passing her droppings okay? I guess the general pain and discomfort is putting her off her food, but the good sign is that she is still eating something. If her apetite gets worse, I would take her back to the vet and ask about crop feeding so you can make sure that she has food inside her. They should be able to show you how to do it at home.

Just keep her warm and comfortable, and make sure she is getting something to eat and drink. Hopefully she will get better and stronger quickly.

How old is she?

Please keep us updated. I wish her a full recovery.