Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Question Cuttlefish bones. Should I bother?

I'm posting this in general discussion, since it's an "every species of bird" issue.

I've been thinking about this for quite some time now. I used to believe that cuttlefish bones were necessary as a good source of calcium, but I have heard recently that they are actually not a good source of calcium, because the calcium is not easily absorbed from these bones. I've read in a few places that a mineral block offers a better source of calcium. Cuttlefish bones may be good for a bird to chew on, but my guys chew on plenty of other things. It's bugged me for quite some time that I have to give my guys cuttlefish bones, because I don't like the thought of killing all of those cuttlefish. They're beautiful and very intelligent animals. Imagine how many thousands or even millions of them must be killed each year. What a waste if we don't even need them. I'll ask the vet at my next visit. But honestly - if the bones aren't of much use, shouldn't we just stop buying them? Mind you, I wonder where the calcium from the mineral blocks comes from ... Probably cuttlefish.
    * Another long-winded message from the beak of Duddles. *

Name
    adrian
    Thanks

Re: Cuttlefish bones. Should I bother?

well i dont think they kill cuttle fish just for the bones, i believe you eat cuttle fish so all of the fish is being used.

Cuttle bone must be a pretty good source of calcium since Olly the budige is quite old and has only had cuttlefish and fruit and veg and seed.

Joey the Budgie also on the same diet lived for 15 years.

So i think cuttle bone is good for birds and isn't a waste of life since the whole of the fish is being used.

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

I dunno how effective it is, but it can't hurt really. None of my birds actually chew the cuttlebones, I scrape it into their pellets. I think they probably get more than enough calcium from the bean mash I give them however.
    You say it best, when you say nothing at all.

To find out what's happening with my pionus Buddy, visit this thread here.

Please visit my Photo.net profile

Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

I don't know about them using the whole fish. I remember being in Newfoundland in a sealing town, and one thing I learned is that some seals are killed for their fur, and the meat is thrown away, and then some are killed for the meat, and their fur might be thrown away. You'd think there would be sharing of parts between the fur and the food industries, but that itsn't always the case. Just because various parts of the animal are used doesn't mean that they don't kill more animals that necessary and waste a lot. I jsut don't know what the case is with cuttlefish. I also don't think they can hurt. But if they aren't necessary, I think I'll stop using them. I have to take Pez back to the vet for a recheck in about two months. I'll ask the vet when I go.

Rent this space today! Baby DevinBre's Avatar
    Thanks

Cuttle fish is very commonly used in asian cuisine (mostly japanese, but chinese too), so dont worry about them being killed for the sole purpose of the cuttle bone.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

i live in an area with so many asian people from amny countries, and i can assure you, almost all the cuttlefish is used.

the flesh (tube & tentacles is used for food, the ink is also used for food & calligraphy, and the innards are used for both human and animal food. the bones are used for well, you know....

cuttlefish are one of the few animals that i know of where they do use everything!

i know what you mean about other animals- it makes me sick to think that they aren't using it all- you think that the bottom line would speak to them (selling what they don't use to someone who can), but people are lazy.

Name
    Nancy
    Thanks

http://artisans.ombra.net/tecniche/CUTTLEBONE.htm

My bird just tears it up. And, does not seem to ingest any of it.
    I do not give her many for this reason. She has some blocks she chews on. I think she gets some calcium and grit from those.

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

I've quit giving cuttlebone, Duds, although I do sometimes for them to play with! I try to give some eggshell 2 or 3 days everyweek, so they get their calcium from that.

Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

From what you guys have all said, I get the feeling that the cuttlebones we get are a byproduct of food. But, I think I will still quit giving it, if it isn't necessary, since I don't want to give the industry a reason to kill that many more cuttlefish for food, to satisfy the demand for the bones, if the bone demand is greater than the food demand. And even if it isn't, I think I'll just stop, as long as the vet says it's OK.