Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Foot Injury after routine handling

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Foot Injury after routine handling

We took our 13yo female to our avian vet a few days ago for a checkup because she had a wear mark on her foot. She checked out well, had her nails trimmed and vitamin injection. When the vet palpated her abdomen it was noted that she has a hernia and some separation (not sure of the correct technical term) from egg laying (as a single bird) she has done in the past and that it would be unsafe for her to lay again. Thankfully it has been several years since so shouldn't be a problem but we are to watch her droppings as she could have a tendency towards constipation. As for her wear mark, we had already done some modifications to her enclosure for my male tiel who has fairly serious wear due to the shape of his feet which we need to maintain at least as it may not improve, this being enough to treat her foot as well. So after we brought our female home, she couldn't stand on one of her legs (the one without the wear mark). Our vet urged us to bring her back in and we did. She has been caring for her the past few days, and she seems to be improving. We will pick her up tomorrow and they will lend us the incubator she is in so that we can keep her at home for the rest of her recovery. Our vet thinks it is a sprain/strain as a result of the handling basically. It is possible that our tiel had a weakness there and it manifested this way. I was afraid that it may have been the symptom of something more serious, but it appears at this point that it is not.

The vet has been really great about all of this but my bf who has had our tiel for her whole life was extremely upset and it took a lot for me to convince him to take her back. I'm wondering if anyone has had an experience like this. I am interested in hearing your feedback. Thanks.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Foot Injury after routine handling

Roy came home from the vet's yesterday. She was a little sleepy yesterday but much more alert today. She is definitely limping and doesn't move around much. It could take a few weeks for her to heal. She will stay in the incubator until she regains full use of her leg. It's such a shock to see her like this because whatever trauma happened wasn't obvious to any of us. Just hoping that she does recover fully.

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Re: Foot Injury after routine handling

Awwwwww! I'm sorry to hear of your birdies difficulties. I hope she recovers quickly.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Remove Ads