Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Kristina
    Thanks

EEEK! He squawks when I leave the room!

I went to lay down to take a nap and was constantly awakened by his squawking! He is sooo loud! So much for me saying he was such a quiet bird. Must be a he! Now whenever I leave the room, he starts squawking as loud as he can. I completely ignore it and pretend he isn't there, but it doesn't seem to help. Should I try covering his cage when he does it? Or is that a form of attention? I thought maybe I should not come back into the room until he stops squawking, but that could go on a long time and I need to go about my day! Advice? Thanks.

Kristina and Tiki

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

Re: EEEK! He squawks when I leave the room!

my HEN also squawks whenever i leave the room, and can be pretty loud about it. they want to remain a flock, so it distresses them when you go in another room.

he'll learn, though!

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

He's probably just checking to see where you are. Ebo ALWAYS yells for me when I leave, and even in the morning, he starts yelling from the time I open my bedroom door to the time I arrive downstairs and greet him by jumping out from behind the wall and saying "Boo!" (He greatly enjoys it, and says "boo" back ^^) It's quite normal for cockatiels to do that. I don't know how you would get him to stop, though. For me, it's just something I've gotten used to.

Beyondu De Glaveu Brand New Egg Sekkira's Avatar
    Name
    Mike
    Thanks

My Chippeehhh calls sometimes, not often cause from where I sit at the computer he can see me from upstairs, but when he does, I just give a whistle then he whistles back and it goes on for a bit cause I like the sound of him whistling.

The baby budgie I got in the same cage recently joins in sometimes but it's still quiet and needs to get used to being taken out randomly to play cause I'm hand taming it.

Name
    Kristina
    Thanks

Ebo sounds like the cutest bird ever! How did you get him to talk so much? I hope I can get Tiki to talk. He already does the cat call whistle (I think that's what you call it), but I'm not really sure where he picked that up. Maybe in the pet shop? Hope that means he won't just be a whistler. How long were you working with him before he said his first word?

Kristina and Tiki

Name
    Dawn
    Thanks

Sounds like he's a spoiled baby who's telling you he's the boss and when he wants attention he wants it, lol. I had a male tiel exactly like yours. He eventually got out it, kinda, lol but it took a lot of me ignoring his demands.
    Denomme's Darlings
    http://www3.telus.net/public/dcmills/denommesdarlings

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ksosne
    Ebo sounds like the cutest bird ever! How did you get him to talk so much?
    Hehehe, I think that was mostly his decision, not mine ^____^ I think he just loves to talk and sing because it's in his personality...

I hope I can get Tiki to talk. He already does the cat call whistle (I think that's what you call it), but I'm not really sure where he picked that up. Maybe in the pet shop? Hope that means he won't just be a whistler. How long were you working with him before he said his first word?
    If Tiki is the talking type, the fact that he already knows how to whistle probably won't prevent him from talking, though it *might* make it a little harder to teach him. You know how baby humans are capable of making all the sounds in all the different languages, but as they get older it becomes limited to the sounds that they actually hear and regularly make...? I don't know if it's the same with cockatiels, but it does seem to be easier to teach Ebo words that sound like words he already knows (with letters like e, o, h, b, g, etc.), but there are some sounds he has trouble with (l (sounds more like w), f, n, etc.)

I can't remember when he said his first word, but when I listen to his older audio recordings, I can tell that he's improved on the words he's been saying since the beginning. I'd say it was a few months... But he wasn't that clear at the beginning. (Really, he still isn't that clear, but that's just the way he is ^^)

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Mine do the screechies too. Neenie Weenie (aka Neo) has gotten particularly bad about his screechies. He'll do it when I'm sitting at the computer and (heaven forbid) not paying attention to him. (He can see me from his cage.) (Usually I'll just whistle to him but it doesn't alway work.) If I walk INTO the room and forget to walk over to the cage and say hi.. I hear about it. If I stop and scritch a head that doesn't belong to him.. I hear about it. If I leave the room.. guess what. Usually I call back and that helps but I've tuned it out. Or.. I'll whistle a tune and divert him. Fortuantely.. my tiels are a flock so they have each other as well.. but I'm a focal point within the flock and they all love mom very much and have a strong bond with me so they call for me when they can't see me or when they can and want my attention. Even if its out of cage time and Neo decides he wants mom.. "Screech". LOL Fortunately.. though Neo is vocal.. he doesn't have a loud voice. I had a foster tiel for a while who had a pair of lungs that could shatter walls .. Neo is wimpy in comparison.

Unfortunately.. he's taught Silver how to screech as well. (I believe Silver is a male since Silver is just as vocal as Neo and has learned every single one of Neo's vocalizations). Now.. if Silver sees me giving Neo scritches on the head.. SCREECH. There is a strong but healthy (never violent or mean) rivalry between the two of them. For now.. I think Neo (though smaller) is top tiel. Silver isn't afraid of a challenge though so they often have squawking contests and more often than not.. its over me. LOL.

Apache (my hen) is not very vocal at all, but every once in a while.. she lets out a chirp that sounds like a football coach's whistle (only not as loud) blowing when she's getting a little peeved that the boys are trying to out dominate her for head scritches. Often times.. the boys try to push her out of the way to get their heads scritched when she was getting her "mom time" and she lets out her squawk as if to say "HEY! Its my turn!" Usually.. she's pretty docile and rarely will she nip at them but on occasion.. she puts her claw down and says "Enough!". She NEVER screeches for me when I leave or enter.. but she's always the first to hop off a perch and stick her mowawk through the bars for attention. (Only to get run off by pushy Neo). Apache and I have a game now though.. Its called "Avoid Neo". When Neo shoves in... I tap another part of the cage. She watches VERY closely and runs over to where I tapped and presses her beak or mohawk to where I tap so she can get attention.. leaving Neo in the dust wondering where Apache went. Then.. he sees that she's over at the OTHER side of the cage getting attention.. so he makes he way over there to shove her out of the way.. but we're waiting and anticipating... so I'll tap the top of the cage.. and she'll hop to the high perch and stick her mohawk through the top of the bars.. I climb on a chair and give her attention and Neo again wonders.. "Huh? Where'd they go!" We do it a couple of times and I swear.. I can see this lil gleam in Apache's eyes and a grin on her beak when we befuddle Neo. My daughter just LAUGHS when we do it because Apache is so sharp! She knows EXACTLY where to go by the tap.. and exactly what we're trying to do. Neo STILL hasn't caught on to the tap-tap signal to tell Apache where to go next to get the scritch he's missing out on. Its the only way for Apache to avoid Neo horning in on her attention time. LMAO (Of course.. they get individual time out of the cage for love too.. but this is just an "in the cage" game we play). It's just funny to see the indivual personalities of your tiels. Neo is sooo pushy yet he's sweet too. Patchie is usually so submissive that I just hate to see her get shoved out of the way all the time. Its my way of making sure she gets "her's" too.

Phew! Boy did I ramble! LOL Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Egg's Cracking... moonieromance's Avatar
    Name
    Andrea
    Thanks

Chibi always squawks when I leave the room or he hears shuffling outside his room. No matter how much he can talk and whistle, it doesn't negate the annoying screech! I personally have no problem with the screaming, but my boyfriend can't stand it.
    *~*Andrea*~*
    Mommy of 'tiel Chibi (3 years) and baby Snowflake.
    Visit my Webshots Album(click)!

Owned by my Tiel Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Although our current tiel, Cosmo, isn't as vocal as Sunny Delight was(She was so loud, but she loved my older sister so much and was already people friendly, even though we got her at Petco), she still has her moments, like when I get home, that I can rouse her into a little tweeting fest. Our Quaker, on the other hand... He squawks so much... But he's still young, and doesn't get the concept of not being around many loud birds(Including two Macaws, and some Cockatoos) and people all day long, like it was at the store we bought him from.