Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Nesting behaviour? (male)

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Nesting behaviour? (male)

My 3 year old male grey cockatiel has been getting very territorial with his cage lately, He has been spending more time in his cage sitting at the bottom shredding up paper ect. And if I put a toy near him he will play with it aggressively.

He has always loved tearing up papers and on guard when at the bottom of his cage and would run to the top if you came close, but now he runs to the door and guards it well and will attack. Away from his cage he is his normal happy gentle self, thinking it may be nesting behaviour.

It has been going on for about 2 weeks now, in the past it was usually just the odd day or maybe 2 days in a row never this long or aggressive. Few months back as some of you may remember he had a leg injury also durn that time there was some major changing happing in our lives and we had to let him stay with a friend for over a month and while he was there he was in his cage most of the time other then when ever I could visit. Of course that was hard on the both of us, but I think spending all that time in there he defiantly now sees it as his home and adding to this new behaviour.

He is not always aggressive around his cage only when he goes down to the bottom to play or shred paper. He does enjoy being down there and I have added more papers for him to play with, Should I continue to add papers for him? Is this nesting behaviour? Should I just let him be or is there any thing I can do to let him continue to have his fun down there but not be as aggressive/territorial?

Do males often have this type of nesting behaviour?.

Edit: Also there is another behaviour I would like to change, its not new but now we are living in an area were we cant have him squawking like that. Whenever I leave the room he will squawk non-stop (and for a long time) even if my wife is still in the room she has a lot of trouble getting him to be quite, only way is to turn off all the lights. He see's me as his mate and soon as I even try to brush my hair put a coat on he will try to stop me by constantly flying down and landing on my head or the coat before I can even get it on. Its cute but also can get very annoying when in a hurry. Any ideas on how I can get him to stop squawking every time I leave the room.

Also we are still in a temporary situation just living in a single room so can't call out to him from another room or take him out of that room. Makes things more difficult for training but hopefully there is still something I can do to help it.

Thanks
    Rumrak
    Last edited by rumrak; 10-15-2004 at 02:11 PM.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

Re: Nesting behaviour? (male)

Quote Originally Posted by rumrak
    My 3 year old male grey cockatiel has been getting very territorial with his cage lately, He has been spending more time in his cage sitting at the bottom shredding up paper ect. And if I put a toy near him he will play with it aggressively.
    let him play with toys agressively. that's what they are for. make sure he has at least 3 toys in his cage at all times, and rotate them frequently. do not worry, he's getting his ya-yas out on the toy, not people or other living things. that's a good thing!

does the cage have a grate seprating the paper from the cage floor? it should. if it doesn't you should get one, preferably a model that has a distance between the two so he cannot get at the paper.

sounds like he needs some shreddy toys. what sorts of toys are you giving him? i buy this 30 foot roll of woven palm caled "shredders" that all my birds love to destroy. i aqlso create surprise bundles by placing treats & toys in a dried corn husk (you know, you get them at the grocery to make tamales) and tying the bundle with twine. hang it in the cage. once they discover there is stuff inside, they won't last long!

you should also weave some safe paper in the cage bars for him to shred on his own, or give him toilet paper roll tubes.

but now he runs to the door and guards it well and will attack. Away from his cage he is his normal happy gentle self, thinking it may be nesting behaviour.
    sounds broody to me! perhaps the paper is less of a good idea then, but give him other things to shred instead.

Do males often have this type of nesting behaviour?.
    yes. males & females do this, it is not sex specific in tiels (or lovebirds, i hear).

we cant have him squawking like that. Whenever I leave the room he will squawk non-stop (and for a long time) even if my wife is still in the room she has a lot of trouble getting him to be quite, only way is to turn off all the lights. He see's me as his mate and soon as I even try to brush my hair put a coat on he will try to stop me by constantly flying down and landing on my head or the coat before I can even get it on. Its cute but also can get very annoying when in a hurry. Any ideas on how I can get him to stop squawking every time I leave the room.
    there is no way. you guessed all the answers that will actually work- but you say that you cannot do them. perhaps you need to talk with the people whose house you share & let them know about bird behavior. for the next month, you need to be able to let him squawk, in order to retrain him. ask for patience so that he will be a better neighbor in the long run.

you need to be able to call back to him to let him know you are still around, this is a natural behavior- trying to know you are around & OK. it cannot be eliminated, but you can make him more secure so that the calls are less frequent & distressing.

he is obviously very needy right now, probably exascerbated by the fact that he is hormonal. he isn't gonna like you leaving, and living in one room with you AND YOUR WIFE probably makes him feel less secure. he sees you sleeping with her, not him and gets even more clingy.

also, do you have a carrier for him? if you have a pet pocket or something like it, you can take him for walks out of the room with you. otherwise, take him in his carrier in the car for a trip. this tend to calm birds down and make them less crazy & territorial when they get home.

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

For cheap shreddy toys, I stuff toilet paper tubes with clean printing paper, and "fringe" some ofthe top of it. you can tie it onto the cage with a bit of paper or raffia. Like Dani suggested, weaving paper through the bars can be lots of fun too!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks

For the bottom of the cage there is no grate just the plastic pull out bottom pluss the wax paper for the floor and other pappers/tissue for him to chew on. I did try removing all of the paper/tissue and he still stayed down there but seemed more angry it was gone, would peck the bottom of the cage and just keep looking around then at me as if saying were did you put it. So just put every thing back since its making him happy.

Toys he has chain with wooden blocks & a bell, which he loves to play with aggressively. Also have a few dif string type toys which are his favorite, and we get something similar to that corn dry wheat sticks which he plays with and can eat. And of course the tissue and just loves to tear apart klenix boxes, toilet paper rolls or popsicle sticks. That rolled up paper through the bars sounds like a good idea and im sure he would like that. Thanks, gong to put something together tonight.

But I did find a way to get him to be gentle in his cage, do his favorite whistle and then he will do it back and will be happy and gentle. Of course only temporary but good if need to get by his cage.

Just hope this is a temporally behavior, hope to be in our new home in 3 weeks or so then can start training him properly again, for now about the squawking will just have to continue to keep him in the dark when ever we are out (which isn't usually to bad) till we move.