Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ~*!!help Agressive Lovie!!~*

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Janine
    Thanks

Exclamation ~*!!help Agressive Lovie!!~*

HLEP! I have an agressive love bird...Papillio! Every time i take him out of the cage he flies on the floor and lunges at my toes! OW! He is also trying to devoure my fingers, ears and even neck! HELP WHAT DO I DO!? I've tried almost every way possible to try to tame him!! It doesn't seem to be working! How can i tame Papillio!?

~*Janine*~

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re: ~*!!help Agressive Lovie!!~*

Have you had him clipped? How old is he?

Lovebirds will go through some nippy stages. Can you describe your basic set-up, and how high off the ground the cage is, as well as his diet?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Janine
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: ~*!!help Agressive Lovie!!~*

Quote Originally Posted by featherjinxer
    Have you had him clipped? How old is he?

Lovebirds will go through some nippy stages. Can you describe your basic set-up, and how high off the ground the cage is, as well as his diet?
    Papillo has been clipped once...I would really love to get him clipped again..but he bites so hard! I got Papillo from the breeder in May and he was 3 wks old then...he was really sweet when i first had him! My cage is about 2 fett off the floor..maybe a little bit more...his diet is something the breeder told me to keep him on it's a mix of "Just Veggies"-vegtables and some Cocatiel seed.

Moulting
    Thanks

your bought this bird at 3 weeks old? was he weaned? its very dangerous to buy bird underage as they wont be fully wweaned and may still expect you to feed them, which is VERY dangerous if you have no experince as they can get crop burn.

Proud Parront Fledgeling Kellie's Avatar
    Name
    Kellie
    Thanks

Well I guess things turned out okay cause May was awhile ago. Clipping is probably your best bet as of now as it usually tends to calm birds down a bit and at least make them a bit less aggressive. Bring him into a vet or a trusted pet store and see if they'll do the clip for you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Janine
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caique Crazy
    your bought this bird at 3 weeks old? was he weaned? its very dangerous to buy bird underage as they wont be fully wweaned and may still expect you to feed them, which is VERY dangerous if you have no experince as they can get crop burn.

Papillo was FULLY weaned from his formula. So, I sould get his wings clipped....but how do I prevent him from eating my fingers and toes!? It really hurts!

Geaux Tigers!!! Tailfeather NeapolitanSixth's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Some types of parrot are notorious toe biters. Lovebirds are among the more aggressive of parrot species; it sounds like Papillo is asserting his dominance. Are you keeping him above chest level? If so, I would advise you to not let him on your shoulders or anywhere higher than your chest. Being so high can give them a false sense of dominance, and they will start nipping. Like featherjinxer said, birds do go through a nippy stage, so this may be a combination of things. What happens before he bites your fingers and toes? Where is he usually, and how long has he been out?

-Nikki
    Come visit my flock!! ( click )
    Need help finding an avian vet? Click HERE.

Check out my blog!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Janine
    Thanks

well...when i go to take Papillo out of the cage with my finger...after he's stepped up, he repeatedly bites my finger and i "wobble" my finger to take his attention away from my finger..but it doesn't work...then...he flies on the floor...and lunges at my toes...and bites them...He bites right as he comes out of the cage! Sometimes after i have him out for a long time, he'll get VERY agressive, and bite harder then he did when i took him out of the cage!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Next time Papillo tries to bite your fingers, take his upper mandible between your thumb and index finger and gently rub it. Most birds like beak rubs and it should distract him from the aggression. My guess is that he had a bad experience with hands and has an intense dislike for them. You need to show him that hands can produce a pleasant experience. He can only bite you if you let him.

Linda L.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Janine
    Thanks

GRRR!! Thx Linda...but i tried that method many times..and it's not working..he doesn't seem to like it and still manages to bite me!? Any other suggestions? I would be willing to do any thing to make my baby be nice again!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Got a question for you. What happens when Papillo goes to bite you? Do you react in any way, anything at all? If the answer is yes, this could be a game and your reaction gives Papillo a thrill that he likes. You repeat your reaction and he enjoys it! It's possibly become a game and you are on the losing end! Remove the thrill and the behavior should change.

Linda L.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Janine
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by linda040899
    Got a question for you. What happens when Papillo goes to bite you? Do you react in any way, anything at all? If the answer is yes, this could be a game and your reaction gives Papillo a thrill that he likes. You repeat your reaction and he enjoys it! It's possibly become a game and you are on the losing end! Remove the thrill and the behavior should change.

Linda L.
    Well Linda, when Papillio bites me he pretty much LUNGES at my fingers. Then i qucilky draw back my finger after the bite and say "NO, BAD BOY PAPILLIO!" How can I tell if he thinks he is playing a game w/ me? Should I stop saying ^ (the frase above)?

Proud Parront Fledgeling Kellie's Avatar
    Name
    Kellie
    Thanks

Theres a good chance hes now biting soley for the reaction he gets from you. It really depends on your tone when your saying this. Your best bet may be not to do anything just put him down somewhere (not back in the cage tho as this teaches biting=cage) and ignore him for a bit until he learns theres nothing to gain by biting you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Time outs in a cage can actually teach your bird to bite. Once he realizes that he will go back to the cage after a bite, he may actually bite each time he wants to return ot the cage. Remember, you are dealing with a bird that has the mentality of roughly a 2 yr old. Not that they aren't intelligent. They just don't make certain associations. Punishment is one of those associations.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Janine
    Thanks

o dear...i used to put Papillio back in his cage for 1 min after he bit me and then take him out again! should i not do that any more?!

Remove Ads