Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New Tiel! (Was: Thinking about getting another Tiel...)

Owned by my Tiel Brand New Egg
    Thanks

New Tiel! (Was: Thinking about getting another Tiel...)

After Ayame died, I decided to get another Tiel. However, I am pressed on how to get the money--I'm a young teen that doesn't get allowance. I'm not going to reuse our first Tiel's cage, as it was one of those 'starter' cages.

Granted, I have some questions.

Taking in to account that I can't get too much money that easily(Although last year Christmas and my Birthday got me around 80 dollars), what would be a good place to get a cage, that wouldn't be too expensive? If none of the options would be conventient, I'll just buy it at the petstore(They handfeed the birds there, and the enclosures for the smaller birds, including Tiels, don't have a top to them, and plenty of things for them to play with. The larger birds there are almost always out, and there were two Macaws last time whose 'cage' was a playgym complete with toys, food, water. They have quality cages there, too) where I'd buy the Tiel.

Also, what are some general signs of behavior differences between genders? I'd prefer a male, considering how we've only had 3 males among some 11 birds in our lives.

I'm not sure when I'll be able to get the Tiel, but I want to pay for the bulk of things on my own and prove I'm responsible enough to one day get a larger bird. That, and I want to fill all those empty holes in my heart from loosing two birds in such a short time.(Three months is a short time between deaths, for us)

Thanks in advanced! ^-^
    Last edited by Minu; 11-17-2004 at 06:23 PM. Reason: New title

Thanks

Re: Thinking about getting another Tiel

Sorry for the double post, but making a new thread seemed a tad pointless to me.

I'll probably get a new Tiel by the end of the school year, from one of my little sister's old teachers. She got him during the summer, and has two boxers and a cat. He was almost killed once, as his flight feathers aren't fully grown in from his last clip. Also, being a teacher, she can't give him as much attention as she'd like. And she just happened to find my sister in the hall and talk to her about him, not knowing I had lost a bird on Friday.

I'm going to see him tomorrow. His name is Smithers, and is a bit shy of children because of the way they acted around him, but is a little sweetie pie. From what I heard from my mom, he has a lovely cage, so big it probably won't fit where we usually keep our birds(We keep them on a platform my dad made over the stairs to the basement, and move them to a table for the winter because my mom puts a display of little houses there in the winter. We managed to fit 5 cages on there at once, but is was rather tight, especially with three budgies.)

I'm beaming in joy of getting another Tiel. And hopefully he can teach Cosmo that hands are loving, and in general, other birds aren't out to kill you. I can't wait to see him tomorrow.

From my sister's description, he might be a pearled, but I'm not sure. He may be a pied, a normal grey, a cinnamon, or even a silver. She's not the best with descriptions. Pff.

I'm seriously giddy about this, and will rush out of school tomorrow to see him. I need to stop typing so much in these posts...

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Awwwwwww!!! Congratulations on adopting your new tiel!!! He sounds like a wonderful little guy! Keep us posted!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Thanks

We just got back on seeing him, and decided it would be best to take him home today. He's a lovely pied, and still quite scared about being in an even newer environment. It's pretty obvious he's stressed(I'd be stressed if I had 1st graders poking at my back and spooking me), but is a little lover. While my mom and the teacher were talking, he buried his head in my hands just to get it scratched.

I really think he was meant for me. If we had lived somewhere else, I never would've gotten him. If the teacher wasn't thinking of relocating him, and just happened to find my sister, I never would've gotten him. It's really uncanny that I got him.

He's sitting on my shoulder right now, being quiet and good. Smithers just loves being called Sweetie. The cutest thing about him is how his crest feathers overlap his eyes a bit, and make him look angry. I can't wait to get pictures of him!

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Re: New Tiel! (Was: Thinking about getting another Tiel...)

WOW!!! It really does sound as thought it's fate!!!! Oh MY... sounds like QUITE the incredible crest!!!!! Congrats! MUST oh MUST have pics of it!!!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

~Mou ichido Rukuen ni aimashou~ Egg's Cracking... Yashika's Avatar
    Name
    Yashika
    Thanks

Re: New Tiel! (Was: Thinking about getting another Tiel...)

Yeah, you've gotta get some photos of him! He sounds gorgeous!