Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: bird obsessed with eating pic frames! help!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jade
    Thanks

bird obsessed with eating pic frames! help!

hi. my budgie, baby, is obsessed with chewing up all the picture frames and mirror frames, candles, plants in the house. anything she lands on she chews. i've tried making chewing toys for her and she goes nuts on them but she still chews everything. she's ruined all the picture frames in the house and my parents are getting really fed up with it, to the point that they're threatening that they wont let he out of the cage anymore. is there any way i can stop her from doing this?

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Re: bird obsessed with eating pic frames! help!

I don't know if there's anything that you can do to prevent her from chewing on forbidden items, short of locking them away. Candles and plants can be toxic, and picture/mirror frames can have toxins in the glue, so I'd work on this as fast as possible. A think it might help to continue working on makign or buying her interesting chew toys that she likes. I would suggest trying dog rawhide chews (unbasted), such as little rawhide shoes or sticks. Wood and rope items are also really good. You may also want to consider getting her her own little place for playing, such as a birdie playgym.

Does she usually fly to the highest part of the room to chew on things? Birds like to perch high up. I wonder if she is going out of her way to chew on these items, or whether she perches in the area because it's high, then gets bored and chews on whatever she finds in the area. If that's the case, including attractive chew toys for her in the highest areas may help prevent the bad chewing.
    * Another long-winded message from the beak of Duddles. *

Name
    Mom or Mrs. C
    Thanks

My budgie boys liked to do this, particularly Uncle Sampson. The only way to stop them was not to allow them around the frames anymore. I moved all our framed pictures to another hall.

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

are you supervising her? if she starts this, then simply remove her when she does it. I woul dhave a designated area for her to play in, such as a playgym, if she isn't actively interacting with you.

Hatched!
    Thanks

I took all the pictures down as well. Now I have to watch them on the lampshades... Do you have wooden perches in the cage instead of plastic ones? My hens have just chewed straight through the highest perch in their cage. It is just one of those special things about living with birds...
    Rainbow

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jade
    Thanks

i used to have a wooden perch but i heard u're supposed to replace them every week or something crazy. it got really expensive so i switched to plastic. i also heard that germs and bacteria can get lodged where they chew. the pictures are higher up on t he wall, we've tried getting her away but she constantly goes back. we watch her all the time but she has no where else to go. i need to get her a bird tree or a play gym but the pet store here doesnt have very much for bird. no cages or trees or gyms. i put a chew toy on the one frame today and she sits on that and chews it, it's taken her away from the other frames. ive only caught her a few times in the last couple hrs chewing on it. at one point we had bamboo braches and she LOVED those, killed them within a few weeks. i got some more chewing toys today and made a few. hanging them on or near the frames seems to be taking her away from chewing the crap outta the frames. thx guys

Name
    Jodi
    Thanks

I had this problem too! My bird's cage is on a table by a wall and we had a large wall mirror with a wooden frame hanging on that wall. Kiwi's favorite activity was coming out and playing by the mirror on his cage top....never an issue. THEN we got Kokomo and the little stinker started chewing on the wood frame and took chunks out! And worst of all...he taught Kiwi to do it too so they both were destroying this thing and my husband was fit to be tied! I finally ended up pulling the table away from the wall just enough so that they can't reach it. They tried a few times and ended up falling off and learned their lesson. I put a few toys with mirror on their cage tops so they play with those now.
    RIP Kokomo...May 30th, 2009...Forever in my heart
    RIP Kiwi.........Jan. 7th, 2012....Part of our family for 9 years and so missed

Hatched!
    Thanks

You don't need to change wooden perches every week. I do clean mine in hot soapy water once a week though. I'd get rid of the plastic perches and go back to wooden ones if I were you. If you are worried about germs, when you clean the perches that will take care of that, but I've never heard of the germ scenario. I've always had wooden perches, just make sure you use perches of different diameters to exercise their feet and prevent foot sores from constant pressure from standing on the same part of the foot.
    Rainbow

Name
    Mom or Mrs. C
    Thanks

LOL about the K-Twins learning their lesson from a few 'falls.' I had that problem with my budgies and they took a few falls themselves before they figured out it wasn't worth it. They were so desparate they would even fly to the picture and hang on it chirping madly because they knew they were going to fall and couldn't steady themselves enough to chew.

Birdyless Bird Lover Tailfeather raptorace's Avatar
    Name
    Rich
    Thanks

My 2nd budgie was a crazy chewer...the best though was when I was in my room watching tv, when all of a sudden little black flecks would land on me or nearby every few seconds. I look up at my highest shelf where my dirtbike helmet was, and called to my budgie, heard a little bit of a shuffle, and then see him peeking ever so slightly at me like a child doing something he knows he shouldn't :o ... he had squeezed himself, not sure how, under the helmet and was inside picking away at the hard black helmet foam - stinker is right

2nd quick story.
    On that same shelf, I had a bunch of small cartoon/comic soft cover books. My bird would go on the shelf, busy himself with this and that, come say high to me and so it would go on. This is one of the shelves with nick nacks that I wouldn't ever use really. Well, one day, I come to remove one of the books and to my surprise, Buddy had chewed through every far bottom corner of each book on the shelf. There was a complete tunnel from one end of the book shelf to the other, with a WHOLE lot of itsy bitsy pieces of paper every. I think it took him a year to do - no exaggeration, and he was happy as punch to have done it When I finally caught him tunnelling he's like, isn't it! Well, I still have those books for proof! amazing determination..oh and he did take out the complete wood edge of the shelf when done the tunnel!
    Last edited by raptorace; 11-22-2004 at 11:04 AM. Reason: another chew story

Birds Are Just Little Feathery Love Sponges! Egg's Cracking... BolieleBirdLover's Avatar
    Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

My lovebird loves chewing paper and so does my conure. They chew anything they can. The one animal i had that i remember being the funniest chewer though, was my ferret Kibbles (she died about 2 years ago from cancer) My shoes would have huge chunks out of the bottom. And sometimes the whole shoe would come up missing. I had no idea where they were going to until I saw the toe of a shoe start to disappear under the bed O_o. Yup she took every single one and stuffed them under the bed. And chewed them up nicely. She loved every minute of it though! She also loved chasing my cat around the room
    _,.-*`'`*-.,__,.-*`'`*-.,_My Babies!_,.-*`'`*-.,__,.-*`'`*-.,_

Poppy Seed and Smoky
    Loki
    RIPSaffron
    RIP KIWI
    Sylvester and Tigger
    Bob the Betta

Birdyless Bird Lover Tailfeather raptorace's Avatar
    Name
    Rich
    Thanks

oh - and my 2 new budgies so far. luv'em, really I do!, but come'on, get'em some toys, make some others from scratch set up their cages all nice ...and what do they find most amusing? While out, going to the outside far side of their cage, and picking at the safeway twisties I had holding their cuttlebone .

they were so at me last night when I switched to solid clamps! Although Sweety did start trying to chew the steel right away

Name
    Jodi
    Thanks

Yes, mine boys love the twisty ties too! ;0) They also love a fountain of shredded paper. I just run a sheet thru our paper shredder and clothespin it on to the cage top. They scramble up to the top and have a good ole' time with it! I do know that if I were to push the table back to the wall again they would go right back to chewing on the mirror's wooden frame...for some reason they are obsessed with that but they never chew on any of the wooden toys in their cages.
    RIP Kokomo...May 30th, 2009...Forever in my heart
    RIP Kiwi.........Jan. 7th, 2012....Part of our family for 9 years and so missed

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

After I go out and buy the most expensive toys, my guys usually enjoy their paper towel roll more than anything else.
    * Another long-winded message from the beak of Duddles. *