Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Question Cockatiel Experts Needed - Cockatiel Egg!

Just got home and my family tells me the cockatiels (2 male + 1 female) we are babysitting just laid an egg. Does anybody have any experience with raising an egg? What do I need? At the moment I have placed the egg in a box with towels underneath it. Pictures soon.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Cockatiel Experts Needed - Cockatiel Egg!

Woops, posted this into the wrong section. If a mod can move this to the right section that would be great.

Egg's Cracking... Margaret Madison's Avatar
    Name
    Margaret Madison
    Thanks

A cockatiel can lay an egg even if a male isn't around. Leave the egg with the bird and any other eggs that may appear. If you remove them the bird will continue to replace the eggs that you removed and it could jeopardize her health. If the bird is eating a seed only diet the chances that she isn't receiving enough calcium is great. Make sure she at least has a cuttle bone and a mineral block available to her at all times, even if she eats a diet of 50% pellets, 30% fresh foods and 20% seeds (what my cockatiels eat). If the female is aggressive towards one of the male birds, then that one is not the one she sees as her mate. If she accepts the presence of both males, then she may see both as her mate. I have a female who lets two males sit on her eggs.

Cockatiels lay an egg every other day until their clutch is done. They may not begin incubating and paying attention to their eggs until they have 2 or 3 eggs. Once incubation begins, depending on temperature and other factors, the eggs will hatch anywhere between 19 days and 22 days, or so. You can candle them after they've been incubated for 5 straight days and should easily see the "spider web" veins inside if they are fertile. If you don't, then they aren't fertile, but still leave them with the birds until a week passes from the last day they've paid the eggs any attention at all. Don't remove them prematurely.

Not all cockatiels make good parents, so even if these eggs are fertile and they hatch, you are no where near "out of the forest" yet. I would imagine that for you, to let the parent birds raise the babies would be easiest. Hand feeding takes a bit of know-how and some technique. Some birds peck at and break the eggs before they hatch. Some birds kill their newly hatched chicks, especially if the nest is disturbed, moved or they no longer feel safe where they are located. There is really a lot to know about raising chicks. If the parents abandon them while they are still quite young (a week old, for example) they might need around the clock supplemental heating (brooder at 98 degrees F), not to mention hand feeding every few hours around the clock until they are closer to 2 weeks old. Let's just say that books have been written on how to raise chicks. I can't possibly cover everything here in this email.

My concern would focus on the hen and making sure she is getting enough calcium.

When is this person coming back for their birds?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. We feed them seeds, pellets and fresh fruits. But have yet to feed them cuttlebone, are there pellet supplements that are calcium enriched that we can feed? The owner won't be back for another 5-6 months... At the moment should I be keeping the 3 birds together? Or should the hen be on her own?

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

You can feed chicken egg shell for calcium- just get the shell, zap it in the microwave for about 10 seconds to kill any germs or bacteria, and serve!

The eggs need to be left with the hen or she will lay to replace them. Breeders will replace the eggs with dummy eggs, however, if they don't want the bird raising chicks at the time, or hardboil the laid eggs, then give them back. If you want to excersize any of those options, it needs to be done within the first day or two.

Have you seen the birds mating? The egg may not even be viable- if you want to look up "candling," this is a method by which you can tell. You basically put a flashlight behind the egg, and look through the egg at the light (in a dark room). You will be able to see veins. I believe this is done in the 2nd and 3rd week...may want to check on that.

If you want to try and raise the chick(s), the hen and whomever the father is need to be together. The hen sits on the egg, and with the chicks, while the dad feeds her. She will also need a proper nesting box- eggs kept on the bottom of a cage are almost destine to fail, or have chicks who soon die because the neither the temp, nor humidity can be kept constant.

Let me refer you to some good research pages:
    http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ead.php?t=3082
    http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww61e.htm
    http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/artbreed.htm <--just about everything; including a very good series on 'tiels in there.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to! welcome